The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Mics vs. Solid State Condenser Microphones
Old 4th October 2004
Gear Nut

Tube Mics vs. Solid State

It seems in today's market many companies are producing very high quality solid state mics that have excellent qualities. I own both solid state and tube mics and I have a difficulties deciding which are better. Usually for vocals I have solely used tube mics because of there warmth and strong signal, but now I have found a great solid state microphone in the Brauner Phantom C. I have A/B'ed my favorite tube mic (the Neumann M149) with the Phantom C running them through decent pre-amps (my Focusrite ISA430 and an Avalon Vt-737sp which has tubes in it). For my liking the Phantom C through the Avalon was compareable if not superior to the Neumann. The reason: I could dial in the amount of tube saturation I needed without the signal becoming too noisy or muddy.

Please let me know what you guys think about solid state vs tube mics.

Thanks
Jay Martens
Nightbreed Studios
Old 5th October 2004
Gear Head

I think that you already know what you need to know on this subject.

Predrag
Old 5th October 2004
Lives for gear

If you like what you're hearing that's the main thing.

I'm not a real big solid state fan in general, but this Schoeps MK41/CMC6 I've got here just blows the doors off same capsule with the Schoeps tube mic amp. It sounds so damned good- all full color and that.

I don't think you can generalize that way, especially now that there is so much cheapo gimmicky tube stuff around.
Old 5th October 2004
Moderator emeritus

Re: Tube Mics vs. Solid State

Quote:
Originally posted by NIGHT'SCHILD

Please let me know what you guys think about solid state vs tube mics.
I belive that you're approaching this all wrong; the issue isn't one of simply 'tube' or 'solid state'. Listen to the other Brauners, for an example of a tube based mic that is pristine in quality, and listen to any of a number of chinese import mics for smeary, distorted signals. It's not the tube, it's the overall design of the mic and capsule that determines the sound, not just the presence of a tube in the circuitry somewhere.
Old 5th October 2004
Gear Head

Re: Re: Tube Mics vs. Solid State

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
I belive that you're approaching this all wrong; the issue isn't one of simply 'tube' or 'solid state'. Listen to the other Brauners, for an example of a tube based mic that is pristine in quality, and listen to any of a number of chinese import mics for smeary, distorted signals. It's not the tube, it's the overall design of the mic and capsule that determines the sound, not just the presence of a tube in the circuitry somewhere.

I would prefer a km56 instead of a km84 if I had the choice!
Old 5th October 2004
Lives for gear

I´m digging the Phantom C more and more.
At first I found myself rather prefering the U195 ( and there will still be situations where it might come in more handy ) however the clearness without any fuzz makes the Phantom survive better through processing like tube compressor and HW EQ.

It seems to give much substance to deal with if I can say so.

Ruphus
Old 5th October 2004
Gear Nut

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dave Martin
"It's not the tube, it's the overall design of the mic and capsule that determines the sound, not just the presence of a tube in the circuitry somewhere."

I believe that is why I enjoy the Phantom C so much. I hear that Brauner hand crafts each mic and spends time making certain the signal is the best it can be. Where as Neumann might not spend as much quality time with each mic.
Old 5th October 2004
Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Tube Mics vs. Solid State

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmess
I would prefer a km56 instead of a km84 if I had the choice!
For most things, I'd agree. But the difference between a km56 and a km 84 is more than just a difference between having or not having a tube...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search