No operational system at all
7 Votes - 11.11%
Very poor stereo system
2 Votes - 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th December 2002
High End Moderator

Home systems

Just to get an idea what the Pros are using at home.
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

For me . . . . The last thing I want to do when I get out of here is listen to more music!
*smile*

My stereo in my car is not even hooked up at this time (though it's a really good one), nor is my home system (all Adcom components). Neither has been hooked up in a couple of years. . . Nor do I go see concerts unless it's something REALLY worth while. Saw Jeff Beck when he was out a year or two back. I would go see Hendrix.
Old 25th December 2002
High End Moderator

Same here, I listen to "Books on tape" in the car, but I was kinda thinking of the equipment you use to check your mixes on at home.

You might have to wait for that Hendrix concert for a while longer...
Old 25th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

I voted for a component system, but since all of the components are cheap Sony boxes, that's almost a stock stereo. And I use a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7 speakers. This is NOT a high end system...
Old 25th December 2002
One with big hooves

I voted stock system which is the Awai in my bedroom. I paid maybe $300 (tops!!!) a few years ago. The other system is a component made up of JVC stuff that's almost 10 years old. The speakers are the infamous $99 for a pair 3-way Yomama's with the 8" woofer which are about 8 years old. Yeah, real hi-fi. In the car I have the stock stereo with a Sony 10-disc changer in the trunk.
Old 25th December 2002
Ted
Gear Maniac

I have a highend home theatre biz on the side. My demo room is in the house, Levinson cd, Bryston mono blocks and Snell Type "A" towers make up the stereo part. Downstairs I have nothing but a little pair of powered Bose. I listen to most of my music in the car. I picked up a used Lexus which has the new Mark Levinson stereo in it. I love it. It is right on the nose, flat.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 26th December 2002
There is only one

i have a 5.1 setup, energy speakers... im in real need of getting dts/ac3 on the receiver. still stuck in prologic land from 7 years ago. its time to upgrade... will be moving to a flat screen and new decoder/pre/amps.

my cars have a pretty decent system in all of them, the infiniti suv being the only stock system which will probably not ever change. but in my cars is where i listen to music, at home i listen to movies... or i use my ADAMs for music.
Old 26th December 2002
Lives for gear

I voted component even though the receiver has a dolby surround i just never hooked it up to the tv....its an older NEC with huge transformers...theres a 50 cd sony changer for those quiet evenings with the lights down low....and i do have a very old pair of b&o speakers....if it translates on these , it translates everywhere......for those of you who were stereo buffs in the early 70's you know what these speakers are about...
Old 26th December 2002
Lives for gear

home system

I still have my original high school / college stereo. (and I went to HS & college in the 70's) KLH 102 speakers, Kenwood tuner, AR-xb turntable (in storage right now) and the only "changed" component, a Sansui integrated amp that replaced my original Kenwood kr4044 receiver (traded to my college roomate in '78?). And the only new component in the last 20 years has been a cheap Sony CD player.

The KLH woofers needed new foam surrounds when they hit the 25 year mark (1999), other than that, and a handful of mostly disposable Teac cassette decks, there has been almost no change to the system since the 70s.

It looks like 2003 might be the year for another new component. The transport door on the Sony CD sticks when opening and closing and I'm wondering if I can find a box that plays CDs, SACDs, and both audio and video DVDs? Anybody up on current consumer gear?

steve
Old 26th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm wondering if I can find a box that plays CDs, SACDs, and both audio and video DVDs? Anybody up on current consumer gear?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,92380,00.html

Firewire connectivity to Elite Receivers. Cool

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,92158,00.html

The budget choice. Folks love this.

More DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio combo units are coming. This is the way to keep both formats alive.
Old 26th December 2002
Gear Addict

outside the home studio i have pioneer elite system with bose acoustimass for my theater system...also have my old 4311 jbls hooked up for stereo...but i mostly watch movies and listen to talk radio "npr".....when i am not working.
Old 26th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

All separate Sony components at home.

Receiver/amp, turntable (might be Technics, I forget), dual casette (hardly sees use anymore), 5 disc CD changer.

Boston Acoustics A60 speakers, very solid performers.

The Sony component system I use for another listening ref. at the studio is very similar, same speakers and very similar amp. They used to be my monitoring setup when I had my studio at home.

I want a CD player with a digital out, but a masterlink is overkill and nothing else does 96k AFAIK. Ideas?
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

I finally broke down and bought a small all-in-one sony home theatre thingy for the basement.. I chose it because

1) it was only like $300 open box

2) it was easy to operate ( for my wife and babysitters..)

3) movies sound pretty good on it ( suprisingly) but music sounds like complete ****. I rarely ever listen to music at home, unless the "Wiggles" on Disney TV counts..

Before that I had a sony reciver and some $25 KLH bookshelf speakers...
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Addict

Proceed Pre, Bryston 4B-ST, Platinum Audio Duos, Arcam Alpha 9 CD (DCS DAC), Panasonic RP**** DVD A. Nice neutral rig that does very little "editorializing" of it's own. I really want the Sony 777 SACD player and a new turntable, something that actually extracts some serious beauty from vinyl. I'm putting together a new edit room at home for my location classical stuff that will get the Bryston SP1.7 as it's switching/master volume and dbl for the occasional movie here and there.

I hope I still have ears by the time affordable DSD production tools finally become available...

I still listen for pleasure, it's what started this whole sordid mess 26 yrs ago. I miss listening to masters at home on a Tandberg TD 20. I really should feel mmuch more bitter about being held hostage by the CD for over 20 yrs which with decent gear has finally come to sound pretty good. I'm ready for higher res delivery of adult music and don't give a rats ass if college dorm rooms have players for it.dfegad mp3

Happy New Year
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

I'm all stock. I like to hear things the way most of the listening public hears them. Sometimes I play my mono clock radio just to see how stuff translates to smaller, mono sources. Same in the truck...
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

I got a decent 5.1 tuner/amp, Technics I think. I had a stereo set of Infinitys (12 inch woofers!) from about 15 years ago, so 3 years ago, I added an Infinity center and surrounds. I got a 10 inch JBL powerd sub, which I turn up as loud as it will go when I'm referencing our surround stuff, even though it's 20 dB higher than it should be (I figure Joe numbskull will dial in as much bass as he can get from his sub, regardless...). Of course, when we watch a movie or something, I turn it down to the correct level.

The ADAMs have almost completely eliminated the need to reference everything on 15 different systems, though. They translate better than anything I've ever used.
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Copus
The ADAMs have almost completely eliminated the need to reference everything on 15 different systems, though. They translate better than anything I've ever used.
Randy . . that's where I'm at now. I trust the room, the monitors and have been using them long enough to feel confident in what I'm getting. Plus . . . I 'move on' after I mix. I figure it was good when I walked out of the studio . . . . it will be good. I don't worry about mixes like I used to.

I have a question . . . . . . . these 5.1 theater systems . . do you guys use these same systems for your audio (normal stereo / monitoring)?

The reason I ask is . . . . it seems the 'home theater' systems are low on power, high on distortion and it seems a person pays for things that I could care less about (digital effects, center channels, etc) . . . when what I really like is the straightest / cleanest signal path.

Now . . it seems there are low priced systems that are ok for movies, but not great for audio . . . or you have systems that do both that are way too expensive for what I care about. I don't watch much TV.

As stated above . . I have an Adcom component system (not hooked up at this time) though I am considering incorporating it into a home theater system / stereo, but I don't want to buy a lot of extra crap . . . nor do I want some cheap little 5.1 system sitting next to my stereo. In other words . . I don't want two systems.

Do you get into crazy costs trying to buy a system that is good for both . . . would be my question. Also, can't you buy a system without all the digital effects like "night club", "church" . . all these type things. I went to the Adcom site a couple of weeks back thinking I could probably buy some encoders and an add-on pre amp to my pre amp . . . (whatever) only to find . . . I don't know what the hell I am looking for / at / need . . . . nor do I want two different systems.
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Addict

i use different speakers old 4311s to listen to music and bose for theater sound with 8 acoustimass and two subs..use the same reciever ..pioneer elite...as for trusting my monitors i have a few different ones (tannoy.genlec.b&w.jbl lsr.audix)...and still like to use many different sources...just to see how the audio reacts...not because i think my monitors are missleading but because the more systems i get the music to sound good on the better.
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

Rather tasty "Myriad" CD player & Amp components, "Project" turntable, B&W speakers for music.....and a completely separate system for 5.1 DD/DTS !!

Any idea how cool it is living with someone who knows that the only correct way to set up your living room is so that you can have decent speaker placement ?! I am truly blessed..!
Old 28th December 2002
I think I may pick up a large screen 28" or 32" (deep backed) wide screen TV in the sales.. I have half an idea to take advantage of some of the 'packages' offered (DVD + video + surround amp) and score myself a home cinema up.

At this stage in my small indy alt rock band production career I am not serious about surround music audio, is there anything to watch out for with domestic packages? Any good brands? I was horrified at how light the speakers were!

Give me some hope!

Or some warnings!

Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

Well, unfortuntely things aren't probably what you're used to Jules...yeah those little speakers of questionable origin and crazy subs are something, alright ! The good news is being the kind of person who will willingly spend a couple of grand on (quoting my missus ) "some ancient crusty thing that makes microphones louder" you won't be terrified of the cost of getting yourself something really good together. Repeat after me - "recreation" !! Being in the UK, we make some GREAT hifi audio/video ****..oh yes.."what hifi"..to WH Smiths with you, and skip the crap !
Old 29th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I was horrified at how light the speakers were!
Me too when I added speakers from a different stereo I once had. They have 3.5 inch woofers and 1/2 inch tweeters, no damping inside, particle board cabinets, and a bass port wider than the "woofers". They roll off at about 200hz! LOL

Strangely, the detail in the high end is very clear (and not just because there is no low end). I use them for talkback only, and ocassionally to fascinate myself with the high end detail on CD's.

They would be horrible for surround home theater!
Old 29th December 2002
"what hifi..to WH Smiths with you, and skip the crap !"

good point!

Thanks!

Old 30th December 2002
One with big hooves

My parent's got a Sony 5.1 package about two, maybe three years ago and it sounds like crap for music. Movies are jusk OK IMHO, no low mids to speak of and semi-distorted highs. My cheapo JVC/Yomama system sounds much better. Rather then buy a premade package I'd probably get seperate pieces and have the store put together a good deal on it. I'm sure the receiver is good but the biggest improvment would come from replacing the 1/8 pound, 3" driver, plastic box "full-range between 400hz and 12khz" speakers.
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
My parent's got a Sony 5.1 package about two, maybe three years ago and it sounds like crap for music. Movies are jusk OK IMHO, no low mids to speak of and semi-distorted highs. My cheapo JVC/Yomama system sounds much better. Rather then buy a premade package I'd probably get seperate pieces and have the store put together a good deal on it. I'm sure the receiver is good but the biggest improvment would come from replacing the 1/8 pound, 3" driver, plastic box "full-range between 400hz and 12khz" speakers.
Jay . . THAT's what pisses me off . . . it seems you either do the crappy "movie system" that does ok for movies, then have a hi end stereo system with it . . . . or you drop BIG bucks for a system that does both REALLY well. I don't want two seperate systems. The BIG expensive systems have features I don't care about and am paying for. I wish someone like Adcom made a damn good, upgradeable, stripped down "movie system" that could double as a great stereo without killing you in the pocket.
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Addict

the decade bump.
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
the decade bump.
Nice one!

Custom drivers built into older Sony 3-Way tower boxes I got on craigslist (total investment of about $500, sounds like the better multi-thousand dollar audiophile jobs. A "from my cold dead hands" thing), newish Yamaha receiver to allow for my multiple HDMI sources, musichall phono preamp, Technics SL1200 turntable. Mixes get checked on a PS3 into this stereo rig.

I've actually done some ITB mixes sitting on my fine Italian leather sofa, using an iPad 2/V-Control Pro for faders and transport . A very nice break from the control room environment when I need it and quite usable.
Old 17th April 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
the decade bump.
The original thread was started on 24 December 2002.

You're 8 and change months early.

Kids these days... no freakin' patience.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Kids these days... no freakin' patience.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
You might have to wait for that Hendrix concert for a while longer...
DUDE! we got holograms now!! Hendrix will be on tour this summer! welcome to 2012. crrrraaaazzzy!! Knox will be psyched!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear