The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you had to go ptools only what plugs would you place on your 2 bus fo Hip Hop/RnB
Old 23rd December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
If you had to go ptools only what plugs would you place on your 2 bus fo Hip Hop/RnB

Just curious what you in the box guys. Or others (when you are in the box) place on your 2 bus?? Settings etc.... Do you side chain your comp etccc...
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Waves Masters Collection:
C4
L2 Ultramaximizer

Other than than those, there aren't alot of plug ins that can compete with some of the high end outboard stuff. Especially something like the Manley SLAM. That thing just ooozes hip hop as far as being able to crank up the levels of your mix. But is cost a grip though($7000)
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Ren Comp
Filterbank
Analog Channel
POW-r Dither (if I'm dithering)

They seem to work best for my style. Sometimes very light use of the Ultramizer, which I like for it's dither too.
Old 23rd December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
e-cue which analog channel AC1 or AC2?? Do you start from a preset

What makes you pick waves comps over compbank???

What type of comp setting do you start with??

I use ren comp and filterbank as wellrollz

For filterbank I use a toned down version of the P6 classic 2 preset

Of course I prefer the NTIgrggt

I'm seriously looking into the Alembic filter for bass (Trying to get that Pensado rubbery bottom) (Note not Dave's bottom but the musictut )

In the event I don't find a used distressor right away which
plugin comp would you use?? (Or should I go 160xt)
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

The waves master collections are good :

Linear Multiband to start with (better then C4 imho)

L2 yes but to be handled with extreme care, this is one of those plugs that find it easier to screw up your mix then to make it sound good ... if abused sucks every life out of your mix, and it is so damn easy to abuse it.

Analog Channel is good, AC1 has a nice stereo bus preset to start from ...

DUY collection is nice to warm it all up, tape and valve in particular.

In general I get the best results with not too much on the master though. Nowadays (except from inserting the sys 6000) I will use Lin Multiband and AC1 or dad valve/tape.
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Guru

The Waves C1 with the sidechain engaged can work. I put the filter at about 100hz like my 1969. I tried this on a friend's Alsihad 007 rig and it worked. I hat mixing in the box though, and I only do it to help friends.
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
e-cue which analog channel AC1 or AC2?? Do you start from a preset

What makes you pick waves comps over compbank???

What type of comp setting do you start with??

I use ren comp and filterbank as wellrollz

For filterbank I use a toned down version of the P6 classic 2 preset

Of course I prefer the NTIgrggt

I'm seriously looking into the Alembic filter for bass (Trying to get that Pensado rubbery bottom) (Note not Dave's bottom but the musictut )

In the event I don't find a used distressor right away which
plugin comp would you use?? (Or should I go 160xt)
Ren Comp is much more forgiving on my stereo bus apps than Compbank. My 2 favorite analog stereo bus compressors are the SSL (firm setting in REN is a good start) and the Vari Mu (soft setting is a good start), and I can get a similar feel with the ren compressor. The McDSP Mulitband is pretty cool too, but I tend to get to carried away with it and end up tweeking to the point of over tweeking for hours, so I've been shying away from it.
I don't use any presets for Filterbank, I just start from scratch. I wish Nightpro would put out an NTI plug in as well, but how do you have a plug in with an "air band" in a 48k 44.1K enviroment? Perhaps with HD...
Yeah, the Alembic joint is tight. Dave got his at a Van Nuys pawn shop or something. It's funny looking at Dave's set-up. He's got $25 peice of crap guitar pedals next to $5000 compressors. Which futher proves, it's the mostly the skill and not the gear.
I mult my kicks and snares at do different types of processing. The 160XT is one of my staple analog kick/snare compressors. The most slept on plug in, IMO, is the stock Digidesign compressor on KICKS. The "Twack" factor, almost like a headache enducing cardbox box being hit sound, is amazing. I think there's actually some kick drum presets for it too. I kinda dig a faster attack digicompressor with a gate after it to really drive the attack into a 'click mode'. It helps to give your kicks more definition without having to reek havick on your VU meters. Note: We still talking urban music right?
Old 24th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Yea, still urban music. I wasn't saying that I stay with a filterbank preset on my master, but that what I end up with is always similiar to the Avalon preset with the highend/lowend boost. What I do lately is
Use filterbank on the master for a while. Then I use the NTI (hardware) for bg vocals and overdubs. Once I'm finished with the NTI, I put it on the 2 bus.

You're right I slept on the digi comps. I moved right to compressorbank for kick. I will give the digi a try. One of the best things Ive ever done to my system was removing some plugins!!!!! I evaluated which one's I'd probably never use and removed them. Now my system loads faster (ptools). and my plugin list is much shorter.

Then I placed all my reverbs/ffx in a folder titled "zreverbs" the Z makes them come up last in my plugins list. I placed all eq/comps in a folder also. They come up first in my list.

I love working when shyt is organized (Whether it be plugins cables or whatever)

As far as it being about the talent and not about the gear. I kinda like the way I had to start with subpar **** and work my way up. Being on a budget made me pimp every ounce of possible processing out of everything I ever bought. (except the alesis 3630 I had get rid of because it did nothing well).
I was forced to learn how to use everything I have to its fullest potential. Now that I buy better gear. The education only helps my cause. Now with better gear I work a whole less at getting good sounds and I commit things to tape because I have a better idea of what I'm after from the start.

I once asked Dave what he thought about recording schools. He told to me go to the record store instead (Of course I already understood basic recording). I finally understand why. Once you have a picture of what you're after from the beginning. It's alot easier to achieve
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah. Plugin's are usually faster than patching inserts, but it sucks when you are like "Hmmmm, I have to shut down to use [PLUG IN WIDGET HERE]". I HATE scrolling down for the true 10 plug in's I mostly use.
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

http://www.tllabs.com/fauxlder.htm

try this, it's much better than putting the z in front of folders and it's free!!
drew
Old 24th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Drew, What's the difference in using this download and simply making a folder labled EQ, Comps, Misc etc....??????
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

Have you tried doing the folder thing? It doesn't work like you'd expect. This TLLabs thing has files that look like plugs (to PT) which means they show up in the list of plugs as dividers. I've been using it for months and like it. Try it, it's free.
drew
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

OKay, now THATS "ganksta" as the kid say these days... I'll check it out.
Old 24th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Just my luck the dayum download wasn't workingdfegad
Old 24th December 2002
Gotta have a Cranesong Hedd -

1) For stereo in converters
2) Monitoring
3) For valve & Tape simulation on the 2 bus at mixdown
4) To add good clock to your rig
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear