The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio wiring for future compatibility
Old 20th December 2002
Here for the gear

Audio wiring for future compatibility

After waiting 13 years, it appears our building will finally be repaired from the damage sustained in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. This means we will have a chance to rewire the entire building. The building is a 3-story former mansion which is now converted to studios and a large lecture hall/concert space. We want to connect multichannel audio between the rooms, with the ability to send a program of up to 16 channels (minimum) from anywhere to anywhere.

One system I've seen using older technology was installed at ZKM in Karlsruhe, Germany. It involved both wire and optical AES/EBU connections to a central digital switch which could be programmed by a laptop in any studio to configure the system I/O. Something like this is a possibility, although MADI or mLan seem likely to develop flexible applications soon.

If anyone has set up such a system, I'd like to hear what you chose. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Jay
Old 20th December 2002
urumita

I saw something over here at the new auditorium of Rome (Renzo Piano) that was fiber optics 32 channels by Nexus in France, apparently IRCAM in Paris has the same system. I don't know the particulars but maybe you can search for it
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear