The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Genelec 8040?
Old 11th September 2004
Lives for gear

Genelec 8040?

All,

(Stands up)

Hi, I'm songuy and Im a Mackie HR824 user. I bought them a few years ago because it was the thing to do....I didnt really know at the time what i was doing. I have since learned.

Yesterday I heard a pair of Genelec 8040s. Besides teh fact that they look cheesy, they killed the Mackies.

HAs anyone else here used these? I am considering the 8040 or the Dynaudio BM15s with a good amp (Not Crown Ref good....but good).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
S0nguy

(sits)
Old 12th September 2004
Gear Nut

Has anyone compared the new Genelecs with the old standards like 1030's and 1031's?
Old 12th September 2004
Here for the gear

anyone? I'm also interested in comparisons to the old-uns.
Old 12th September 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

In isolation I was impressed ( heard a demo but no A/B ) I'm no Genelec fan but they had none of the top end problems I normally associate Genelecs with an overly flattering sound but these seemed better

jam
Old 13th September 2004
Gear Nut

yeah, im interested in the new genelec line as well? please others chime in..
Old 13th September 2004
Lives for gear

yeah, they sure do look cheesy!!!!
Old 30th September 2004
Gear Head

today I ab'd the genelec 8040's and adam p11's. in Montreal they're the same price.

low distortion and dynamic range:
8040's win hands down

bass extension:
8040's again

play louder before straining:
8040's

sound ballanced at super low volumes:
close call but 8040's again.

wide dispersion:
p11's by far. but imo this is a minus, the 8040's are designed to direct the treble so that early reflections are less of an issue. good design imo. then again, a wave guide is a horn and that has issues of its own.

focused imaging:
8040's. verrrry small sweet spot tho. they're made to work with, not to impress the band.

wow factor:
the p11's sound more exciting like cool high end 2 ways, and the 8040's sounded more boring, ie more neutral to my ears.

that annoying genelec treble of past:
Gone! these speakers sounded almost laid back, like I could work with them for hours without getting listening fatigue. They've really voiced these speakers to be more laid back than the 1000 series they replace.

Midrange presence:
vocals and solos always sounded more forward on the adams. in this regard, I'd speculate that the p11's would be easier to get the critical midrange right with less effort. Now clearly I've given winning marks in most categories to the gens, but this could be a deciding factor right here. Without having done extensive mixing on either of these monitors I can only guess here, but clearly this category deserves serious consideration. There is after all, a reason why studio's still use ns10's. The adams struck me as usefull like ns10's in getting the mids right, without sucking in every other regard like the yammys do. The mids in the gens were there, but not as forward sounding as the adams.

looks:
the adams are boxes like most other monitors. the 8040's.....personally I like them. It's a matter of taste. I'm a big fan of form follows function and that's how the gens are designed.

cabinet:
the 8040's are 2 piece cast aluminum enclosures with rounded walls and corners. ie mitigating internal standing waves and increasing cabinet volume and stiffness for given external dimensions. good engineering imo. my only concern here is that I gave the cab a good knuckle rap and it does ring a bit in the the high vocal range. whether or not this will be audible when mixing is unknown to me but my guess is that genelec knew what they were doing when designing the enclosures.

miscellaneous: the 8040's have this cool rubber pod that it nests in for acoustic isolation when placing on desktop or on a stand.
the 8040's also have a unique bass curve setting that accounts for the typical midbass anomalities that occur from desktop placement. I think preferrable to get a flat sound this way rather than using external eq (1 less thing to grab at the eq for).

I guess you can tell that I was very impressed with the 8040's.
I have no affiliation with the company. Just looking for decent 2 way near fields for my project studio.

The adams were nice, maybe the 2.0's would be a more fair comparison buy they're much more $$$. Still tho, I feel that genelec has made a genuine advancment in monitor design and engineering with the 8000 series.

Next week, I may be able to get a hold of b6a's to bring into the store to a/b with the 8040's. I will report back if that happens. I've heard, and mixed with the bm6a and 15a's in the past and liked them both, and before the 8000's, I was about to go ahead and buy the b6a's or p11's. now there's one more variable in the equasion.

hope this helps.
Old 1st October 2004
Gear Nut

drumzy, great commentary, do let us know when you compare with the dynaudios, im upgrading soon form my mackie 824s and these are all units im considering...
Old 1st October 2004
Lives for gear

Interesting comments drumzy and please do report back.

As a side note, any chance the stor will let you take a pair home for a couple of days to actually work on them. I find THAT's where speaker descissions should be made to be honest, not in a store, although it might be a good place to start.
Old 1st October 2004
Gear Head

Chris. They only had the one pair of each model in stock so I'm going to try and get the dyn's to the store to make a superficial comparison before asking them to borrow any demos.

I couldn't agree more, that taking them home and working with monitors, is THE IDEAL way to make a purchase descision.
Old 2nd October 2004
Gear Nut

I have recently started working for a reseller of Genelec (and ADAM). We have both the new and the old Genelecs as demo units.
I do not find the 8000 series a step up from the 103x series. Also most people when getting the chance to AB the speakers, tend to buy the 103x.
Old 2nd October 2004
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Smafdy
Has anyone compared the new Genelecs with the old standards like 1030's and 1031's?
The new EQ mag rates them this month. The reviewer spent 10 years with 1030 and said they sounded very similar and the bass seemed a little tighter.
Old 3rd October 2004
Lives for gear

A friend and I just did a 2 day control room shoot out between the Genelec 8040A's, the Dynaudio BM6a's, and the Emes Blacks and Violets.

The Blacks weren't even in the running as you'd expect, but we put them up because they were there. At first listen the Violets sounded reasonable, but we were disppointed in them as soon as we heard them against the Dynes and Gennies. The Emes sounded so lifeless against them. The one thing the Violets had over the Genelecs was that they were more graceful at high volume levels, where the genelecs were the first to lose their cool. This was fixed by some bottom end rolloff tweaking on the back of the Genelecs however.

So down to the 2 contenders. The first thing that struck us both was that neither of us had ever put up 2 sets of speakers from 2 manufacturers and had them sound so similar, no matter what the program material. In the end the studio owner took the Genelecs, but he would have been happy with the Dynes. What swayed him was that faintly, justy faintly, the Genelecs sounded a little more "alive" and urgent in the midrange, a bit more like the band was in the room with you.

The Dynes are famous for their tweeter, and Genelec seems to have sorted out their annoying top end with these speakers, they are still more metalic sounding than the BM6A's, as you would expect from a metal dome compared to a soft dome, but once we rolled off the high end on the back of the Genelecs they sounded so much like the Dynaudio's it was spooky. Without the rolloff they sounded too metalic for our tastes.

Where both these speakers really shone compared to the Emes was the midrange. I never had any trouble understanding what the male singers on our CD's were saying, wheras with the Emes speakers I often found myself straining to make out the words of some songs. This is a really important area that many people don't listen for hard enough when testing speakers, they get all caught up in the bottom and top of the scale. To tell if a speaker is any good, listen to the singer. This is where the Mackies fall down too in my opinion. The Dynes and the Genelecs would not have you doing wierd EQ stuff to your vocals, the Violets would have you compressing and EQ'ing vocals in strange ways I think.

We both were disappointed in how much the Genelecs fell apart at high volume out of the box, however I think Genelec are trying too hard for low end extension when the dip switches are set flat, but once you roll off some LF on the back, (and some sizzle from the top), suddenly it all comes together and it is an easy speaker to be excited about. The problem of loss of control at high levels just vanished.

So the studio took the Genelecs, and are very happy, I use the Passive Dynaudio BM6's in my own rig, so it was very intersting to hear how the active BM6a's we used in the comparison sounded compared to the passives I use every day. I didn't really have a preference in the end between the active and passive versions of the Dynaudios, each sounds fine as long as you have a good amp for the passives.
Old 18th December 2004
Gear Nut

I was impressed with the 8000 Series during the brief listen I got at AES.

I need something portable for location work and the price of the 8040A is quite attractive.

I have a pair on the way for eval...
Old 19th December 2004
Gear Addict

Ive used the 8040's and they definitely have fixed some of the HF issues from the 103X series, but I still think the Dynaudios are more detailed overall, and smoother in the high end, which means less ear fatigue. As always, YMMV.
Old 23rd January 2005
Lives for gear

being a gennie enthusiast(let me say this first- i have the 1030's and 31's)....i was a little amazed at the egg. it's a really great sounding monitor. i plan to pick up a pair....
Old 23rd January 2005
Gear Nut

I liked the 8040A's enough that I've decided to keep them. They're the perfect size for remote work and I think they're a great value.
Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

have you tried the:
a)BM12A
b)DIGI RM2
C)JBL LSR 4328

Thanks
Old 9th August 2007
R3k
Gear Maniac

Hmm Genelec's.. Someone beating a snare drum beside my head comes to mind

just my experience and opinion with 1029s and 1030s
Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

With Gen's people seem to love 'em or hate 'em. I have a pair of 8050A's which I love to death. The NS10s are now collecting dust. You get used to their ugly faces once you hear them, I would agree with others that the mids although very good, are ever so slightly lacking but it's never been an issue for me. These speakers to my ears are fantastic.
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Luv My 8040's...

Quote:
Besides teh fact that they look cheesy
R U Serious?... They're Gorgeous!
Old 9th August 2007
Emi
Gear Addict

had the 1031 and switched to 8020A with 7050B sub and never looked back. My mixes are way better
Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
Luv My 8040's...
same here
Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

Finnish guys always love Genelecs
Old 9th August 2007
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Finnish guys always love Genelecs
i´m not finnish
Old 9th August 2007

We have 8040A's at our studio and I'm very pleased with them. I can easily dial the right amount of low end with them.
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Genelecs are a big deal with the stores and dealers here in Sweden now. I don't know why, maybe it's because it's a neighbour country....

The guys in the stores told me it's the genelecs they sell most of now.

Me, personally, I don't like them. The most amazing music, and records, sound dull, and kind of "bitter"/not so happy, to me.
And stuff that sounds really weird everywhere else, can sound good on them.

Adams sound alot better to me. I own Klein & Hummel O300s, which I love, and can really recommend. They were the absolutely best ones, out of the ones I tried out (I tried a lot of monitors).
The new KRK, looks really interresting though, and I heard great things about them. The problem I had with the previous KRK models, was the bass-sound, which I thought sounded weird. But with the new design, this is probably dealt with.

Allthat being said, they seem to very detailed (genelec 80xx), and reveal everything. Also a balanced sound. So if you like the sound (which I definitely don't), they are probably great.
Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

Of course it's all room dependant, but the good thing about Genelecs is they are designed to adjust and adapt to any room.

I was not a fan of the 10 series ( whose design goes back to the very early '80s). But the 80 series sound excellent. BIG improvement! They are more accurate, and you can get great mixes on them.

I really like their 70 series subs too.
Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

I am using a pair of 8040 for more than a year now, and absolutely love them. Mixes translates perfectly, and a joy to work with them.
A big vote for the 8040.
thumbsupthumbsup

Tamas Dragon
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

hey just curious...

do you guys use any roll-offs or tilts? or is everything turned flat on the back of your genelecs?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search