The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone using the RME ADI-96? (....and some general preamp advice needed)
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Head

Anyone using the RME ADI-96? (....and some general preamp advice needed)

I've been looking to improve the AD conversion & mic preamps I currently have and would like to know if anyone has used the RME ADI96? It looks similar to the Apogee Trak2 which is an excellent but reasonably pricey box of tricks (at least to my wallet!). And while we're at it, any idea how it ranks against the TC Gold Channel? Perhaps these one box tricks aren't the best solution but on paper they all look pretty good.

As a brief overview, I have a Mix+ with a Digimax (via adat bridge) and a 1622 i/o for synths. I'm not too chuffed with the quality of the Digimax and frankly I don't need 8 mic pres. I've been thinking about getting a decent converter and preamp but am caught in the conundrum of what to actually get. If budget weren't an issue, it'd be easy but unfortunately it is. I want to avoid feeling disappointed shortly after the next purchase. I need to hear a material improvement in sound quality for the vocals (pop/rock) and overall improvement due to a better conversion and clock source.

I know I mentioned a few one box solutions. Should I just avoid these and go for a decent converter/preamp combo? And where should I set my budget to get a better sound quality than I'm currently getting?

Sorry for a rather protracted series of questions

Cheers,

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search