The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Allactronic Mod for LA3A
Old 7th September 2004
Gear Nut

Allactronic Mod for LA3A

I've heard this mentioned a few times. What does an "Allactronic" mod do for an LA-3A? Also, who does this mod?

Thanks

Nic
Old 7th September 2004
Harmon Kneenot
alactranics does a great job on la4s and 1176s but don't **** around with la3as they're great as they are

idon't know who works on them but keep demaria labs away from yours if you want it to sound good they suck
Old 7th September 2004

LA3a's are great, but are a little noisey.. I think there is 1 resistor in the signal that can be replaced and lower the noise floor without affecting the classic LA3a sound. I'm not sure what Bob's mod entails.
Old 8th September 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyBelmont
LA3a's are great, but are a little noisey.. I think there is 1 resistor in the signal that can be replaced and lower the noise floor without affecting the classic LA3a sound. I'm not sure what Bob's mod entails.
These mods have been around longer than dirt. Change the 220k feedback resistor to 15k. Change the 12 pf feedback cap to 220 pf. Dale RN60's would be a good resistor choice and Wima FKP-2 poly films for the cap. Use cheaper parts for more "vintage flavor".
Replace the 470 uf output cap to a Panasonic FM series.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 8th September 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Williams
These mods have been around longer than dirt. Change the 220k feedback resistor to 15k. Change the 12 pf feedback cap to 220 pf. Dale RN60's would be a good resistor choice and Wima FKP-2 poly films for the cap. Use cheaper parts for more "vintage flavor".
Replace the 470 uf output cap to a Panasonic FM series.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Nice, Jim!!!!

See change 2 or 3 x parts inside and boom a much quieter beast to run your vocal tracks through. heh
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyBelmont
Nice, Jim!!!!

See change 2 or 3 x parts inside and boom a much quieter beast to run your vocal tracks through. heh
Hey Tony --

The mod you are speaking of changes just one resistor: the R14 resistor value gets changed to 47K from the current value (which is 220K).

Cheers,
John
Old 8th September 2004

Cool... I had this pdf that had a bunch of different LA3A mods that people have done. It's hard to keep them all straight.

If anyone is interested, email me at [email protected] and I can forward it to you..
Old 8th September 2004
Gear Maniac

At the risk of sounding a bit dim but (as the original question did ask) -
what does the mod DO?
Old 8th September 2004

It lowers the noise floor... One of the other guys may be able to give you a more technical description.
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

The mod is named after Bob Alec of Alectronics. Apparently he didn't invent it, but he is known for doing lots of LA3As over the years, among a lot of other excellent work.

Being an LA3A owner myself, and mine being un-modded, I can't see screwing with them. They are my #1 "Desert Island" compressor and I wouldn't trade one for an LA-2A.

Sure they are noisy. Who cares? I'm not doing classical music for heck's sake. But you know what? They have so much gain you can bury the noise. I only get my outputs up to, like a quarter, and I'm already boosting the gain compared to input.

They sound God-like and if you don't like yours, maybe it's broken.

Either way, I'll buy it right now.
Old 9th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by GearHunter
The mod is named after Bob Alec of Alectronics. Apparently he didn't invent it, but he is known for doing lots of LA3As over the years, among a lot of other excellent work.

Being an LA3A owner myself, and mine being un-modded, I can't see screwing with them. They are my #1 "Desert Island" compressor and I wouldn't trade one for an LA-2A.

Sure they are noisy. Who cares? I'm not doing classical music for heck's sake. But you know what? They have so much gain you can bury the noise. I only get my outputs up to, like a quarter, and I'm already boosting the gain compared to input.

I don't know who Bob Alec is, but the mod I spoke of has been floating around here in LA for a long time. I've actually heard of it referred to as the 'Clearmountain mod' -- although he would never call it that himself. [Sorry BC if you happen to read this... ]

La3's are one of my favorite all time compressors as well. I did the mod on my pair, and it didn't compromise the sound at all. It definitely does help the noise situation, and also makes the gain pot a bit less sensitive when changing the makeup gain level -- there is more of a usable range with the mod.

It's one resistor -- try it. IT is very easy to undo if you liked it the other way.

Cheers,
John
Old 9th September 2004
Gear Nut

This is why I love the Gearslutz forums. Thanks a million for all the info.
And Gearhunter, funny you should mention not trading an LA2A for one, as I am going to sell an LA2A (albeit the reissue) on Ebay to raise bucks for my LA3A purchase.

Nic
Old 9th September 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by paterno
I don't know who Bob Alec is, but the mod I spoke of has been floating around here in LA for a long time. I've actually heard of it referred to as the 'Clearmountain mod' -- although he would never call it that himself. [Sorry BC if you happen to read this... ]

La3's are one of my favorite all time compressors as well. I did the mod on my pair, and it didn't compromise the sound at all. It definitely does help the noise situation, and also makes the gain pot a bit less sensitive when changing the makeup gain level -- there is more of a usable range with the mod.

It's one resistor -- try it. IT is very easy to undo if you liked it the other way.

Cheers,
John
Don't bother trying to talk good old GearHunter into touching those LA3a's...
I've had this conversation with him a few times and it always ends up back at the "well, I love the way they sound just the way they are"... I agree that they sound great the way they are too.. But, it's just a friggin' resistor GH. I love ya either way man!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search