The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stephens vs. Studer
Old 26th April 2019
Here for the gear

It sounds like one of the remote Stephens 8 track used by Robert Altman's location engineers to record his movie soundtracks (i.e. "Nashville"), and yes, John built a number of solid state mixers to go with his decks and other applications.
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by savecal View Post
It sounds like one of the remote Stephens 8 track used by Robert Altman's location engineers to record his movie soundtracks (i.e. "Nashville"), and yes, John built a number of solid state mixers to go with his decks and other applications.
That makes sense. This is missing two modules.
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I THINK I have a 6 module cart with Stephens mic pres I bought off of eBay 10-15 years ago. It was a guy who used them for remote TV and movie work for years. I’m too lazy to get up and look in my garage. As i recall they sounded kind of API-ish. Did he make mix pres as well or is this another Stephens?
And I thought I was cool because I have a Stephens splicing block.
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
And I thought I was cool because I have a Stephens splicing block.
LOL!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Stephens 16 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by savecal View Post
Hi, I'm John Stephens's brother Rod, and I believe this quote from Mr. Morris is incorrect: "John Stephen's brother claimed their 2 inch 16 track was unchallenged until multi-track DSD." Someone else may have said that, but not I. I should add that I was a motion picture editor, not an audio engineer, but being around John made me aware of what he was creating as he went along. I've been aware of DSD only because I enjoy SACD, so I know that it's used in their manufacture, but I hadn't equated DSD with John's analog until the subject just came up. Not being an engineer, I don't think I have the chops to evaluate or compare the two.

My deep apologies sir. the quote was from memory. But ears are ears. If to you something sounds better than it does. Funny I was asking my Mother, "If you were to put out The Beatles on CD how would you do it. More bass? Make it louder?"
My Mother answered, "No, it's The Beatles...I would just transfer them just as they are..No changes."
And this is from a woman that wouldn't know XLR from 1/4 inch balanced. And yet she knew, HEY THIS IS THE BEATLES. YOU DON'T MESS WITH THEIR ALBUMS.
So I think you are qualified. My Uncle worked quite a bit with Stephens multitracks in the 70's and he tells me they just sounded better.

I would be interested in a side by comparison with a Stephens 2 inch 16 track and DSD 2. But unfortunately the 2 inch tape formulations today are more suited for analog machines from the mid 80's and beyond. The test wouldn't be fair without the tape formulation that were used then.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Morris, There's no need to apologize. As you said, the ear is the ear with which you hear and that we use to judge. So, I think you're saying we're all equal in that. At this point of my life, I'm lucky to hear 8k at the top of my good right ear, so my subwoofer probably gives me more pleasure! Let the music play on......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search