The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who's using R121's on OH's? Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd September 2004
Lives for gear

Who's using R121's on OH's?

Hi all. I've been thinking about buying another Royer R121 for doing stereo overheads. I've used the one I own in a mono setup and liked it. I'm sure other aplications will pop up where I would like to have 2 of them, but I'm mainly interested in a pair for drum OH, and stereo room micing.

Mic pairs I've already got:
AKG 452's
AKG 414eb's
AT 4041's
octavia mc012's
marshall 603's
Neumann U87ai's
ect...

This is the only ribbon mic I own at the moment.
I mainly do rock type recording if it helps with your thoughts on the matter.

So, should I buy another 121 for drum OH ect, or?.....

Thanks,
ERic
Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

I've used the Royers as O/H on the last three sessions I've done and absolutely love it.

Mind you, I've been going straight to disk lately (don't know if your going to tape or not) but it really does sound great.

The last session I did to tape I used KM84's with a 121 a foot or so in front of the kick and not only did the kick sound great but my god, it was THE BEST rack tom I'd ever heard. Not a big fan of miking toms but hey, as an added bonus you couldn't beat it.

If you've got the pre's GO STEREO.

R.
Old 4th September 2004
Don
Gear Maniac

This is Gearslutz...Hell Ya I would get a second!
Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

I'm mainly recording to PTHD XL , but I also have an 8trk 1" that I track basics to sometimes.
As for Pre's that I've got:
(2) 1272's
(4) api312's
(2) telefunken 672's
a bunch of so/so outboard stuff
and the ones on my ramsa DA7

So, it looks like I'll buy another one. I work at a pro audio store so the price is hard to beat.
Slutty-ness here I come.

ERic
Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

Yep, uh huh, I'm using a 3124 and it sounds amazing.

I just love these mics.

Used it with a 1272 on guitars as well, sounded great. More than great, actually, but still added a little top just to sweeten it up. I know you can flip em' around but didn't sound the same to me.

Interested to hear how they sound with the Telefunkens. I'm looking at getting a couple TAB-Tele's myself.

Curious what do you use your Tele's on? And have you tried em' with the 121?

R.
Old 4th September 2004
Gear Maniac

I HAVE A R 121 AND A RACKED DUAL TELEFUNKEN V672 DONE BY THE MASTER OLIVER ARCHUT AT TAB AMI/FUNKENWERK AND THE ROYER SOUND SWEEEEEET!
Old 4th September 2004
Here for the gear

that's spooky, I have the exact same set up.

1 Royer 121 and 2 TAB V672 channels.

does your stereo TAB unit have 4 outputs per channel?

If so, what is that all about?

would love a second Royer for giggles.
Old 4th September 2004
Gear Maniac

yes it does and I am as clueless as you because the day I received it, Oliver called me to check if it arrived ok but he was in a rush and that plus his thick German accent made it difficult for me to understand his explaination.
BTW I am selling my royer so pm me if interested.
Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

hmm, tele 672's w/ 4 outputs per channel? odd..

We racked em up ourselves and love em on OH. I did a rock session last night where I used them w/ akg452's and it was the best I've gotten on this perticular drum kit.

Now you got me thinking.. I haven't tryed the R121 with the 672's yet ( atleast not that I remember)

I'll have to try it tonight..

Thanks,
ERic
Old 5th September 2004
Lives for gear

If you like it in mono... stereo will be twice as nice.

Personally I like a nice bright, cymbal sound, with very fast transient response to capture the hi-hat work. So for me its KM184s 90% of the time.

I love the Royer on guitars though... tames the nasty upper harmonics, fits it into the mix.

Old 6th September 2004
Gear Maniac

I like 121's on OH. Have done that more than a few times. It does make the toms sound nice. I do preffer U67's as OH's though, most of the time ( and 2").
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

I had a similar decision to make earlier this year; I wanted to upgrade from my standard stereo pair of KM184s and I liked the idea of a pair of ribbon mics. At the time I had one R121 and one Coles 4038 and I tried both of them as mono overhead mics. If my use was going to be primarily rock drum overheads, I might have gone for the R121 pair, butI use my stereo pair on acoustic music much more frequently than on rock bands. And for non-rock uses, I have found that I prefer the smoother sound of the 4038.

The only downside to using two 4038s as a stereo pair is that they are damn heavy and two of them out at the end of a boom arm requires a couple of sandbags on the base of the mic stand.
Old 7th September 2004
Gear Maniac

On my most recent session I had Audio Technica 4050s as overheads through the Manley Dual Mono, and R121s as drum room mics (pointing angled towards the celing!!) through the Millennia Media HV3D-8.

There was a sense of unbeleivable realism from the R121s - It's like the drummer was smacking the kit next to me! I really set up the mics to collect the room ambience, but they had so much power... They sounded more powerful than the overheads 4050s even though they were several meters away from the kit!

I will try swapping over and using them as overheads next session.

This was for hard-rock drums btw!

We do have some serious celing height here which works to our advantage!!
Attached Thumbnails
Who's using R121's on OH's?-live_b_5.jpg  
Old 7th September 2004
Gear Maniac

The other R121 is on the other side of the room so you can't see it in the picture (i.e. behind the kit).

I have to say, all the guys raving about R121s through TG2s on guitar cabs are so right. It really is a beautiful combination.

Been enjoying that in conjunction with Mesa Dual Rec through an Orange cab, and also really impressivley nice Peavey, 5150 though Mesa Cab (I kid you not)

Great heavy tones!

Pic of my crazy Iso booth attached... ignore the 57 - that was for the guide track while the drums were going down.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Who's using R121's on OH's?-isolation_b_3.jpg  
Old 7th September 2004
Gear Addict

I use, and LOVE, R121's for OH. They bring out amazingly great sounding toms and snare-crack!
Old 9th September 2004
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cdog
If you like it in mono... stereo will be twice as nice.
You are so right. If you want to hear something amazing, try a stereo pair on a Hammond w/Leslie. They're very realistic sounding and you can really dig into the top end of the organ without it ever getting shrill. I love putting a 121 with a Shure 57 on guitar amps. Each mic seems to have everything the other doesn't. I've been using a Little Labs IBP phase box to place the mics where they individually sound the best and then dial in the phase difference. Just be very careful to use a pop filter on the Royer whenever there is wind involved. They can handle a tremendous amount of SPL but even the air off a guitar speaker at close range can damage the ribbon. Been there, done that. Had to replace both of mine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Royer though, if I were you. They're too good to not have a pair if you already have the first one.
Old 11th September 2004
Lives for gear

royer mics overhead

yeah ribbons !!!!

I've only been doing this recording stuff for a ffew years...when I first setup a project studio, a friend loaned me his "beatles mic"...which was of course, a coles 4038.....I got better drum tracks on ADAT and mackie [email protected] than most "pro" studios in town.

For me the ribbons just do something to the highs and the edge of the transients on drums that make them sound ok on digital formatts.

I have recently been using the royer/speiden stereo as my overhead/main drum mic...sometimes right over the drummers head, sometimes in front of the kit...sometimes 10' out with a coles or lawson 3' in front of the kit...and a little squash...distressors, joe meek, la-4....

ROYERS RULE !!!!! I'd love to have 2 r121's....they do sound somewhat different than the stereo royer....not sure what the difference is.

BTW, mono overheads are very cool...especially for rock stuff....try it !!!

Either way having 2 royers is never a bad thing.....rock on..!!!

Another cool cheap ribbon is the Oktava ML52 (i think)...had to go through about 5-6 at "the center for guitars"...but I believe you can find a great sounding one for about 3 bills....

But if you can save the $$$..get the royers....gtrs rule, drums rule, horns rule, actually damn near everything sounds good through them.
Old 11th September 2004
Re: royer mics overhead

Quote:
Originally posted by mixman499

ROYERS RULE !!!!! I'd love to have 2 r121's....they do sound somewhat different than the stereo royer....not sure what the difference is.

The 12x series and SF series sound a lot different. The 12x (121 and 122) have a thicker ribbon, so the transients are not as accurately reproduced as the SF-1, SF-12, and SF-24. The 121 and 122 have more of a peak around 1k also, and have a generally 'harder' sound with what sounds like a steeper roll off in the low end. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but they aren't as interchangeable as people often assume and generall shine in different applications. The SF series has a more 'naturalistic' approach, geared towards using them in more critical legit applications like classical/acoustic/jazz work, although for rock purposes to my ears they sound more 'real'. Great on room mics for anything; spot micing when the bi directional pattern won't interfere with the goal of the engineer (the null on the side can be very beneficial to obtaining isolation), etc. A good starting place is the Royer demonstration CD, it's not as good as using them yourself, but it's pretty close.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search