The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal
Old 16th September 2004
Lives for gear

Laymen always talk(ed) about watts when it is about speakers, but it must be speed. As my friend said about Focals, they must be very fast.
Whatever, interesting to hear that they don´t only sound so incredibly nice, but translate good.

If they came down to decent prices they´d surely be dominating in the audio community within a blink. ( God damn maximized profits . Yeah, ok, I shut up already.)

Hey Fab, you ain´t the person who represented Sony and to whom I talked to in the bar, are you?

Ruphus

PS: What does it help to clock when you´re feeding analog?
Old 17th September 2004
fab
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruphus
Laymen always talk(ed) about watts when it is about speakers, but it must be speed. As my friend said about Focals, they must be very fast.
Whatever, interesting to hear that they don´t only sound so incredibly nice, but translate good.

If they came down to decent prices they´d surely be dominating in the audio community within a blink. ( God damn maximized profits . Yeah, ok, I shut up already.)
It's all a point of view. Talking with these guys doesn't leave me with the impression that they are money driven. This is a passion driven product through and through. It takes a lot of guts and motivation and R&D cash to start a product from scratch in a new market, against such stiff competition as there is in the nearfield pro-monitor market. They making lots of money with their HIFI stuff, I don't think this is a cash cow for them.
These guys are in it because they like sound, not because they want to get richer. Just like us.
The speakers cost a lot becasue what's in there costs a lot. Let's see how they price them in the end.

Quote:

Hey Fab, you ain´t the person who represented Sony and to whom I talked to in the bar, are you?
That must be me. I was in Berlin, I was helping out the good lads at Sony Oxford AND I was at the Gearslutz wonderful hang. I must be the guy you met.

Tomorrow I'll take pixes of the speakers in the room and I'll post them here.

Ciao,

Fab
Old 17th September 2004
Gear Guru

Class D low end amps

Class AB tweeter amps

Digital control circuits galore

are you sure these are so terrific? could be a spring romance phase?

• 40 kHz bandwidth Beryllium tweeter
The reversed dome tweeter is a hallmark of Focal. As a result of more than twenty years of development into a tweeter that could produce a high output, but without requiring high energy input and without increasing directivity. And now the company is ready to make a major leap forward with the introduction of the pure Beryllium version.

• Focus Ring
This innovative and patented magnetic structure provides extremely strong flux density (2T) with the highest thermal stability achievable.

• The “W” cone For more than 15 years the composite cone sandwich technology is a Focal exclusivity. The “W” process - first initiated in 1995 with the Grande Utopia - now provides a true optimisation of the frequency response by fine tuning of mass, rigidity and damping parameters.

• Passive radiator
In order to reproduce the lowest frequency range within a very small volume the SM8 is equipped with a no compromise, custom designed “W” passive radiator.

Advanced Digital Technologies

• 24 Bits 96kHz converters
In addition to a direct digital input, the SM8 uses the latest high quality chipsets performing 24 Bits 96kHz A/D and D/A conversion.

• Multiple equalisation facilities
The combination of powerful DSP devices and carefully designed algorithms allows multiple and very precise equalisation.

• Low sensitivity to vertical or horizontal placement
Due to its internal digital processing, the SM8 can use FIR (Finite Impulse Response) filters which have the property of allowing both very high selectivity and perfectly linear response: indeed the actual filters between the LF and HF sections have slopes reaching 200 dB/octave! Due to the drastic reduction of acoustic interaction between drivers, landscape and portrait orientation are virtually equivalent in terms of performance.

• Remote control facilities
The SM8 can be remotely controlled from various sources: PC/Mac dedicated “Focal manager” software, PDA, MIDI link or proprietary remote control unit.

High Performance Amplification

• High efficiency, low distortion class “D” output stage
Bi-amplified (200W rms/Bass, 100W rms/Treble) the SM8 uses low distortion class “D” power stages for the low frequency channel, reducing dramatically heat at high power, while wide bandwidth class AB stage is used for the tweeter.

Old 17th September 2004
Lives for gear

You should hear them, Brian.
They sound very unconstrained. So good that I doubted whether they could be translating well.

Ruphus
Old 17th September 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruphus
You should hear them, Brian.
They sound very unconstrained. So good that I doubted whether they could be translating well.

Ruphus
hey i'm interested ... it just seems unlikely the distortion is low with internal digital processing.

i'll have the Barefoot MM12s here in a week

it would be interesting to compare ...
Old 17th September 2004
Here for the gear

"24 Bits 96kHz converters In addition to a direct digital input, the SM8 uses the latest high quality chipsets performing 24 Bits 96kHz A/D and D/A conversion."

The only problem I have with this is that it's running all of your audio through PCM on the way to the drivers. Frankly I consider 96/24 to be mid-res.
Old 18th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by lucey
hey i'm interested ... it just seems unlikely the distortion is low with internal digital processing.

i'll have the Barefoot MM12s here in a week

it would be interesting to compare ...
Wow, what a special auditioning that would be!

I´d like to know the resulting impressions.

Ruphus
Old 18th September 2004
fab
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

Quote:
Class D low end amps
Class AB tweeter amps
Digital control circuits galore
are you sure these are so terrific? could be a spring romance phase?
I'm no spring chicken when it comes to speaker love. This is true realtionship material. Thank you for your concern though, but this girl is mine.

The class rating of the amps as nothing to do with how they sound in my opinion, there are plenty of ****ty sounding class A amps around.
Actually they are the majority. Manufacturers strive to put a class A sticker on their gear because they think it makes them look better, not because the design necesarily called for it. It just isn't a label of sound quality, and I don't think it was meant to be.
My class A/B Neve preamps kick the **** out of my class A Neve preamps sound wise, for example.
And the old Class B MacIntosh amp that's pushing the NS10s upstairs makes most the class A amps I've heard cry for mercy.

As far as distortion on the SM8, I heard none. All I heard was 'nothingness', which is what I've been looking for, for a long time.
So much so that I'm getting ready to sell my surrond Dyn set-up, as soon as I hear the Focal sub, and it hopefully turns out to be as good as the rest of their speakers.

I think you should really try and listen to the Focals before you make up your mind on them.
I had no idea what was in these things before I listened to them in my room and liked them.
I read the manual and the specs after I experienced the sound.
I think these speakers are going to be huge, and I think that Focal will be a major player on the pro-monitor market in a very short time.
Hopefully my rig will be complete just before they start being back ordered :-)))

Ciao,

Fab
Old 5th January 2005
Gear Guru

okay Focal 8 users .... are you still happy?

I'm consulting a buddy and we're gonna get a pair ... but what do you think a few months later?

Q: does all the audio go through the AD/DA ? That's scary ...
Old 5th January 2005
Quote:

I'm consulting a buddy and we're gonna get a pair ... but what do you think a few months later?

Q: does all the audio go through the AD/DA ? That's scary ...

Yup - still Happy !!!! so are the clients!! Translation is the word... the only gripe i have about them is the wired remote eats a set of AAbatteries in about 2 weeks... the only way to get around this being to take them out after every session (boring) and at the end of a long day, its not the first thing that springs to mind to do...!!!!

A: Yes, I believe the audio does pass thru the AD/DA - but i run them in Digital mode - so i can't really comment on that.... Do you have anyway of monitoring this way??
Old 5th January 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by muziqfreek

A: Yes, I believe the audio does pass thru the AD/DA - but i run them in Digital mode - so i can't really comment on that.... Do you have anyway of monitoring this way??
Well, he hopes to, but for now has a SPDIF ... not sure how to split that to 2 x AES on XLRs.
Old 5th January 2005
I deleted some posts surrounding the opinion of another (respected) speaker manufacturer.

It is the policy of this site that manufacturers are not welcome to post negative opinion of products of their competetors here. Gearslutz.com is a gear users site.

Anyone that has issues with this matter please contact me via Private Message or at jules @ gearslutz.com (delete spaces)

Thank you

Jules
Gearslutz.com admin

Carry on!

Old 5th January 2005
Quote:
Well, he hopes to, but for now has a SPDIF ... not sure how to split that to 2 x AES on XLRs.

Ahhh..... ok.... you'd need a spdif/aes convertor... should be easy enuff to locate one of these....

w/regards the splitter issue - each speaker has a left/right select switch on the back... and Focal give you a AES splitter in the box.... job done..!!!!
Old 5th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Brian,

I got a ~ 40 bucks Neutrik adapter for S/PDIF RCA to AES from Mercenary, but that would be for only one connector out.

Here are a couple of examples that could meet your needs http://www.sonifex.co.uk/redbox/rbsp1_ld.shtml, but I know there are some more brands with such. For instance I think Midiman has thelike too ... and even Behringer heh and I think to have seen some pretty expensive boxes of that kind as well. ( Not that the Sonifex were cheap.)

If there could be quality differences in that field ... I would suspect so, but other pals around here should know better.

Ruphus
Old 5th January 2005
Lives for gear

Ah, I see the answer has come in already. One problem less.

Ruphus
Old 5th January 2005
Gear Guru

thanks fellas ...

gil from wave will be including an AES splitter so with the other one from you Ruphus ... problem solved!
Old 5th January 2005
Price list here:

http://www.wavedigital.com/Gearslutz...st Rev 1.0.pdf

Photos from AES and the Focal factory here: http://www.wavedigital.com/gearslutz/focal/

official website here:

www.focal-fr.com

any other questions, let me know!!

-gil
Old 6th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by dingo
Sure you don't want to know?

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeak...al/index2.html
I roughly priced out the most-expensive playback setup I could, using six channels, six-way speakers, and one driver per band in the speakers, except for two drivers per band in the sub enclosures. This is of course a moving target, but it was quite easy to spend over $4 million for the system. (Blame those fancy Japanese tube amps.) I should note that I have a close friend who is offering his services freely to audition the system. He's still waiting for that phone call...
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post

Brian,
did you ever get the focal 8's?
I am very interested in your opinion on them.
Old 24th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
Brian,
I'm using a pair of SM8's. Call me if you wanna talk.

Cheers,
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Brian,
I heard a pair early on ... all hype and no meat. Given SM8s I'd rather mix on Auratones. Although my friend bought them and uses them well.

Lindell is a proponent and will be glad to talk with you.

The brand seems to carry a lot of weight in Europe for some reason, maybe the HI FI line?

I prefer monitors that sell themselves, but as always, trust your gut if it tells you these might be for you ... and try them out.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Brian!
I have tried them for an hour or so, but without a sub and in an unknown room.
It takes a lot longer than that for me to make my mind up.
May I ask how you felt about the tightness/speed of the bass and the resolution in the mids?
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks Brian!
I have tried them for an hour or so, but without a sub and in an unknown room.
It takes a lot longer than that for me to make my mind up.
May I ask how you felt about the tightness/speed of the bass and the resolution in the mids?
As has been said, monitors are a very personal decision so dont listen to me. There are a number of ways to look at mixing and you need to find what works for you. I'm of the 'natural' school. I'm not a fan of the mids in 2 ways in general, or of seperate subs in a mix room. With small full range monitors like the Barefoot MM27s 2 ways are no longer worth the compromises. Something like Auratones/Avantones or something like NS10s/Tannoys ... one of those plus MM27s and you're probably good. Save yourself years of hassle and try the Barefoots for sure.

I'm not a fan of commitments to a DA in a monitor. AD, DA and eq plus the speakers and amps? ... the Focals would need to cost a mint to fulfill the promise of the PR. As I try to buy long term there's too much commitment to current digital technology in the Focal concept and their solutions were not even up to modern standards to my ear. The imaging and tonal depth in particular were lacking. By tonal depth, I mean the space around the note, the thing that tells you if you're working from analog tape or digital tracks. Now many people dont care about that element of sound, looking more at the eq layout or the details, but to me it's essential. The center channel was also lacking. This is all about the DA. The tweeter was hyped/fake sounding. I like a monitor that sounds like the room where the tracking happened and is out of the way. The SM8s had a variation on the Genelec effect. A cheaper 2-way that sounds more real is the Truth Audio 1A, like $1400 a pair. They're no Barefoots but they're at least approaching a natural presentation.

The eq is powerful but my Weiss is better and I wouldnt want to use that in my rig either. Why the eq? More sizzle. A little tilt, a good room and a good brain is all anyone needs.

Bottom line, Trust yourself. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search