The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EMT 250 - is it worth it?
Old 13th May 2008
My favorite snare & percussion reverb bar none.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Are you serious? Do you wear blue jeans? Where did THEY come from?

Take ONE look around where you are and I GUARANTEE that your "made in the USA" manifesto goes right out the window... I'm so tired of this bvll****! Worse, the hypocrites

-andrews
Well NO ****... My point is i will Support the American worker all i can.When i can..
Maybe this global economy is good for you but not for the U.S. And if you've been following the presidential election this has been the major discussion at any electoral debate..I hate my Philippines Jeans i think they suck and are of low quality..I really love to see grown men working at burger king now a day because of this government.The rich get richer and the middle class is gone or on the way out..I don't know about you but 100k a year just doesnt impress me. Not when your raising a family..If your happy with 20k 40k 50k a year you have been brain washed. I wonder what the Philippines is importing from the U.S. and at what costfuuck
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
Well NO ****... My point is i will Support the American worker all i can.When i can..
Maybe this global economy is good for you but not for the U.S. And if you've been following the presidential election this has been the major discussion at any electoral debate..I hate my Philippines Jeans i think they suck and are of low quality..I really love to see grown men working at burger king now a day because of this government.The rich get richer and the middle class is gone or on the way out..I don't know about you but 100k a year just doesnt impress me. Not when your raising a family..If your happy with 20k 40k 50k a year you have been brain washed. I wonder what the Philippines is importing from the U.S. and at what costfuuck
Thanks for flipping me off, that's quite a mature and intelligent retort.

What's your problem with MY statement, I'm just pointing out your actions after your hypocritical "Made in America" statement.

Hey, I agree, it's almost impossible NOT to buy products from around the world, but to conveniently trash someone for buying foreign, like you did, isn't right when you are doing the same.

And yes, it would be great if we had a stronger local economy. In fact, I'd be willing to be I support more local and backyard local product engineers than most (being fortunate enough to live amongst some of the greatest designers on the planet like Peter Montasi of A-Designs, Brent Averill, Ian of Boutique and Steve from Inward Connections... who in fact, made my "Chinese" made console a truly great board with his mods.

My point is, you can throw out all the admonishments you want, but more than likely, you are better served looking at yourself and seeing what you do and what you can do.

By the way, Ithin we should do away with this icon fuuck.... it's just plain rude (but perhaps comes in handy once in a while.)

-andrews

P.S. While the U.S. isn't the manufacturing nation it once was, intellectual property and design is perhaps one of our greatest exports, so it's not just about WHERE something is made.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Thanks for flipping me off, that's quite a mature and intelligent retort.

What's your problem with MY statement, I'm just pointing out your actions after your hypocritical "Made in America" statement.

Hey, I agree, it's almost impossible NOT to buy products from around the world, but to conveniently trash someone for buying foreign, like you did, isn't right when you are doing the same.

And yes, it would be great if we had a stronger local economy. In fact, I'd be willing to be I support more local and backyard local product engineers than most (being fortunate enough to live amongst some of the greatest designers on the planet like Peter Montasi of A-Designs, Brent Averill, Ian of Boutique and Steve from Inward Connections... who in fact, made my "Chinese" made console a truly great board with his mods.

My point is, you can throw out all the admonishments you want, but more than likely, you are better served looking at yourself and seeing what you do and what you can do.

By the way, Ithin we should do away with this icon fuuck.... it's just plain rude (but perhaps comes in handy once in a while.)

-andrews

P.S. While the U.S. isn't the manufacturing nation it once was, intellectual property and design is perhaps one of our greatest exports, so it's not just about WHERE something is made.

Quote:
I bought the Bricasti...One thing I like about that purchase is "IT'S MADE IN AMERICA" I hope it stays that way...Lexicon is even overseas...Kurzweil who makes their stuff? I never kept any of their gear longer that a few days
you call my statement above conveniently trashing someone ? I stated my opinion.
this board it about opinions. you don't like mine, so what!!! your the one with the problem. I think your exaggerating things here...you jumped all over me..I don't care about your "Chinese" made console. I can assume this is why your jumping all over me...The Chinese economy is doing great. the American dollar isn't worth **** anymore...do you have kids? whats their future in America.....

You say intellectual property and design is perhaps one of our greatest exports? yeah until the Chinese learn..they will steal our knowledge too. Then whats left? Burger king,McDonald's or the dead end job people live on. no pay raise, economy getting worse...I'm fortunate to own my own business but i know where i came from. i know what it is like for people,families. Have you looked around at all the foreclosure's on homes. I will buy American as much as i can.
Have fun with your Chinese Board. not me I'm sure it was cheap...I didn't even have to give you the finger...i don't have a problem buying foreign jeans or what ever, thats been going on for ever but i wont buy a mixing board from them..The Chinese wont buy your music and if they do it will be for a dollar...
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought the Bricasti...One thing I like about that purchase is "IT'S MADE IN AMERICA" I hope it stays that way...Lexicon is even overseas...
The PCM96 is made in the good old U.S.A. right here in Utah (no red-state-blue-state remarks please).
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
The PCM96 is made in the good old U.S.A. right here in Utah (no red-state-blue-state remarks please).
I have a Pcm 96 and i hope it was made here in the states like it said... I also just bought 2 MPX-1's guess what it said on the back? I'll let you fill in the blanks C_i_a....heh

Was it made in the states or assembled in the states? Big difference
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

American Apparel make the best casual clothing Ive ever worn. :-)
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was it made in the states or assembled in the states? Big difference
Specified, designed, programmed, made and assembled in the USA (but happily made available to anyone in the world).
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

There's some mad 2 bit reverberation goin' on here
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
Specified, designed, programmed, made and assembled in the USA (but happily made available to anyone in the world).
I can tell..

Its a very nice design. very durable looking construction. I love the operating system.. The sound is just beautiful with some tweaking...It's been a long time coming for a reverb box like this from lexicon...The PCM 96 and the Bricasti are
tag team when mixing...I'm doing some acoustic work now and I'm having a lot of fun with these 2 boxes combined..
Old 16th March 2011
Here for the gear

EMT250

whatever you have to pay, it is worth it. I have had two EMT250's since the late 70's and they are simply the best.
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Addict

emt250s are cool
Old 16th March 2011
AB3
Lives for gear

I love the one in my UAD card. To be frank - it does stuff my Bricasti and Lexiconpcm96 cannot do IMHO.

I sold my PCM96. But then I missed it, so I picked up a PCM92 at a great price.

Between Bricasti, Lexicon and EMT250 - all reverb bases are covered for me. (In fact, maybe too much).

(Of course the opposite is true as well).

P.S. Let's not make this a Bricasti/Lexicon war thread. Those are getting really stale. They are both great. And so is the EMT250. (even the one in the UAD)
Old 10th January 2013
Here for the gear

EMT250

This is the best reverb I have ever used. Period!
I have two, bought them both back in 1976 and used them on a ton of hit records.
The best example I can give you is the drums on "My Sharona" by The Knack.
The drums had an amazing room on them, MCA Whitney studio in Glendale, and then I made them into magic with one of my EMT250's. I still use them on everything I record to this day.
My advice, if you can buy one, buy it!!!
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Mr. Tickle?
Old 12th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot1011 View Post
This is the best reverb I have ever used. Period!
I have two, bought them both back in 1976 and used them on a ton of hit records.
The best example I can give you is the drums on "My Sharona" by The Knack.
The drums had an amazing room on them, MCA Whitney studio in Glendale, and then I made them into magic with one of my EMT250's. I still use them on everything I record to this day.
My advice, if you can buy one, buy it!!!
WOW!

Fortunately I own one (Immaculated), its my baby girl!

The UAD emulation sounds close, but not cigar.

Thanks for sharing!.

delcosmos.
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hammond View Post
While that is one of the best outboard reverbs you can get, 7.5k euro is worth $14k US.
1 euro = $1.33 so 7.5 euros = $10,000
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I love the one in my UAD card. To be frank - it does stuff my Bricasti and Lexiconpcm96 cannot do IMHO.

I sold my PCM96. But then I missed it, so I picked up a PCM92 at a great price.

Between Bricasti, Lexicon and EMT250 - all reverb bases are covered for me. (In fact, maybe too much).

(Of course the opposite is true as well).

P.S. Let's not make this a Bricasti/Lexicon war thread. Those are getting really stale. They are both great. And so is the EMT250. (even the one in the UAD)

Sorry to say this, but check out the thread where Bricasti owners can't tell the difference between it and the Behringer v-verb. Says a lot not only about digital gear, but also expensive gear in general. The v-verb is only about $100, at least try it out.
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

Just wanted to share this PC gaming flight sim controller that I found. Could maybe be rigged up as a controller for an EMT 250 plugin? heh

Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Swedien View Post
It's my favorite Electronic Reverb.... I own an EMT 250 and an EMT 252...
I am not too fond of the 255....

Here's a bit of early history on it....

EMT 250 REVERB

In 1975, the US engineering contract firm Dynatron completed the R & D for the 250, an entirely electronic unit that re-revolutionized reverberation. Karl O. Baeder and Dr. Barry Blesser determined the algorithms, and Ralph Zaorski (most recently a co-developer of the Dynatron 255) created the hardware for the EMT 250, which continues to set the standard for that effect with its classic sound 25 years after its introduction. A mere 250 of the 250’s were produced, and the surviving systems have the distinction of being one of the most sought-after “vintage” digital effects units.

When asked to comment, Zaorski noted that as a packaging of the original EMT 250 algorithms into a box fresh for the year 2000, the Dynatron 255 seems to represent the best of both worlds for the legion modern-day aficionados of the EMT 250’s sound. “People are familiar with the EMT 250,” he explained. “The Dynatron 255 is a device which has (the EMT’s) capability using modern technology, and therefore there aren’t the problems of maintenance that would come into play with the 250.”

As for getting the chance to be a part of the birth of a hallmark piece of recording gear, Zaorski acknowledges that a good time was had by all. “We were pretty excited about it, actually,” he recalls. “It was a fun project!”

Bruce Swedien
Just got one of these 250s. What are your favorite settings on it for vox? Any recommendations?
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
Just got one of these 250s. What are your favorite settings on it for vox? Any recommendations?
I don't think Bruce hangs out here much any more...
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
I don't think Bruce hangs out here much any more...
Fair enough. Interestingly, I know he's really into using long predelay times, such as 130 ms, but the EMT 250 has a maximum predelay time of 60 ms, haha...
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

Push REV, pull low pass filter all the way down, push high pass filter all the way up.
Adjust delay to taste.

Denny
Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchandler View Post
Push REV, pull low pass filter all the way down, push high pass filter all the way up.
Adjust delay to taste.

Denny
Hehe...you have one?
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Nut

I am too out of the loop - I thought you meant the original plate unit (I am lost on EMT model numbers).

I used to use the plate all the time and NOTHING in a plugin even comes close to that. Can you buy those? Because they are solid gold IMHO.

I owned a U67 for 30 years, used it a lot, and sold it for 500% profit. Is vintage gear worth it? Yes IMHO - just be careful because that is a lot of money. There are scams out there.

But I would rather buy a pristine one and pay more, than a questionable one and pay less. The value will stay if it's the right piece.And you get to use it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search