The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm really loving the new Mercury M76m.
Old 7th May 2008
I'm really loving the new Mercury M76m.

I got the stereo version. It arrived last week, and I'm REALLY impressed. No, I don't have an original V76 to compare it to. I do have a pair of Marquette-racked original V72's, so I'm using them as my reference. The 76m is really a step up for me, and the most versatile pre that I have personally ever used. It goes from high-fidelity sweetness to the most beautiful "vintage sounding" musical saturation very easily. It supplies enough clean gain for every ribbon mic I own, including my Coles. I got the M76's thinking they're going to be a perfect match to my Wagner U47's, which should be arriving in the next few weeks. I'm not worried...
The build quality is solid, and totally pro. Sonically, I feel confident that these pre's will work on any mic I put in front of it. The high's and low's seems to extend forever and take EQ very well. It makes an sm-57 sound incredible. Like any great pre, it makes thinks easy to record. Things just "sit-better" in the mix. I even love the DI for bass.
It's expensive, but I'm confident I'll own it and use it forever.
I realize that there are a lot of pres on the market right now, and I am personally of the opinion, that they can all get you to pretty much to the same place. The m76 just gets you there a little easier. You will not be able to make excuses for not getting great sounds with the Mercury.
What more can I say. It's a great unit, does what it claims, and I love it.
Old 7th May 2008
Gear Nut

agreed! I've used it for tracking, reamping, the DI sounds great! If you ever try reamping drums, try using the pad all the way and driving the input and see what you get
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

I have and love the M72, it too has a rich beautiful sound to it. I actually prefer it over the M76, will probably need to revisit the M76.

nIC
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

I have a tab v78M which I adore and would love to hear these all shot out with the vintage ones in good shape...
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

I love mine too. I prefer to do simpler setups on drums whenever I can and the 76 was one of those things that made an instant impact in the sounds I was getting in those setups; became my go-to for FOK and OH instantly. Amazing on basses (mic'd or DI'd, the DI is fantastic.)
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear
Just the short time I used the M76, I thought it was very similar to a 1073 - a little brite in the mids...but I could have been drunk...YMMV
Old 24th January 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post

I love mine too. I prefer to do simpler setups on drums whenever I can and the 76 was one of those things that made an instant impact in the sounds I was getting in those setups; became my go-to for FOK and OH instantly. Amazing on basses (mic'd or DI'd, the DI is fantastic.)
Completely agreed!!!! It's the king of tube pres.
Old 24th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Just the short time I used the M76, I thought it was very similar to a 1073 - a little brite in the mids...but I could have been drunk...YMMV
More dissimilarities than similarities to my ears. They are both rich colored preamps. It's like comparing a Buzz MA2.2 to a GML. Same camp, different sides of the field.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search