The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
roger mayer console?
Old 24th August 2004
Gear Head

roger mayer console?

anyone know anything about this:

http://newyork.***************/mnh/msg/40264253.html

i know of roger mayer as hendrix's guitar tech & pedal guy, but that's it. there's a mention of a roger mayer board being used on the talking heads' "psycho killer" here:

http://mixonline.com/recording/inter..._heads_psycho/

anybody ever seen or used one?
Old 25th August 2004

I've used some Roger Mayer EQ's before (RM87's)... In fact, I have about 8 of those modules here. They're nice for broad strokes, not a precision EQ... I think they're Class A if I'm not mistaken..
Old 26th August 2004
Gear Head

thanks for the response! it seems not too many people have seen one of these, i guess. thought it looked interesting....
Old 26th August 2004
Gear Addict

The EQ's sound really nice on Guitars (not suprising considering RM's heritage), and the low end is nice - passive inductor circuit somewhat Pultec like - but the high freq is kinda smeary and harsh when pushed. Good for specific applications, but probably wouldn't want a whole console full of them.
Old 4th July 2005
Here for the gear

Roger Mayer console! I own it guys...How bout a Fairchild 627?

I own a console of his and it is killer! The EQ's are great and highly musical, certainly
not as precise as a Weiss or and Oram but nevertheless easy to use and they get the
job done. The preamps are also nice and wide and have a uncolored character.
The faders are all P&G and the console came with a stereo limiter built in and 3
outboard noise gates all hand made by Roger. The console has an outboard mix
matrix system which goes out to four separate pods that allow the cats to make their
own 8 channel submix for their own taste. You want more drums in your cans but
bassist wants less? Just mix it how you want it! This is radical thinking and basically
unheard of for the mid-70's when this whole system was designed. The other great
thing is that it has a modular design that allows for any channel to be pulled for repair
with having the whole board go down. Secondly, it is all Class A point to point wiring,
there is not a single IC in this entire board. There are no proprietary chips and it has
all gold connectors for the cards. The console has an out board power supply(24 Volts)
and is currently running at -10. I am in the process of of installing a Jensen output
transformer to have it run at +4. The metering is all PPM as opposed to VU as we
normally see here in the States. Despite the comment of a fellow gear slut earlier
who has 8 RM EQ's I have a full operating 16 channel console and this thing kicks
major ass! I am in a facility with a Neve and an E-series SSL and I still think that
this thing is more inherently musical than either of those two legends, as my tech
said, "just turn a knob and music comes out" I must agree.

But now who can help with a schematic for a Fairchild 627 Variable Equalizer from
the 50's...It is insane...

AA
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Nut

How about a pic or two?
Old 16th September 2005
Gear Head

fairchild 627

Hey,
Do you still need the schematic for the fairchild 627? Let me know and I can send it to you.

thanks,

Jarrod
Old 5th August 2009
Here for the gear

Fairchild 627

Hello,i read you have the fairchild 627 schematics,can you send it to me?
Can you tell me iff is an good Eq ?
Thank's
Jérôme
Old 9th August 2009
Hello Jerrod, I need schematics for the 627. Thanks in advance... (if you can PM me that would be great).
Old 9th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylphreek View Post
I own a console of his and it is killer! The EQ's are great and highly musical, certainly
not as precise as a Weiss or and Oram but nevertheless easy to use and they get the
job done. The preamps are also nice and wide and have a uncolored character.
The faders are all P&G and the console came with a stereo limiter built in and 3
outboard noise gates all hand made by Roger. The console has an outboard mix
matrix system which goes out to four separate pods that allow the cats to make their
own 8 channel submix for their own taste. You want more drums in your cans but
bassist wants less? Just mix it how you want it! This is radical thinking and basically
unheard of for the mid-70's when this whole system was designed. The other great
thing is that it has a modular design that allows for any channel to be pulled for repair
with having the whole board go down. Secondly, it is all Class A point to point wiring,
there is not a single IC in this entire board. There are no proprietary chips and it has
all gold connectors for the cards. The console has an out board power supply(24 Volts)
and is currently running at -10. I am in the process of of installing a Jensen output
transformer to have it run at +4. The metering is all PPM as opposed to VU as we
normally see here in the States. Despite the comment of a fellow gear slut earlier
who has 8 RM EQ's I have a full operating 16 channel console and this thing kicks
major ass! I am in a facility with a Neve and an E-series SSL and I still think that
this thing is more inherently musical than either of those two legends, as my tech
said, "just turn a knob and music comes out" I must agree.

But now who can help with a schematic for a Fairchild 627 Variable Equalizer from
the 50's...It is insane...

AA
I know a kat named "Ace" in philly who is a freak for vinyl and has a Roger Mayer console...
Is this you?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search