The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley Langevin Mic Pre and Mercury AM16 Mic Pre
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Manley Langevin Mic Pre and Mercury AM16 Mic Pre

The Manley Langevin Microphone Preamp and the Mercury AM16 are both based on old Langevin designs. I know that they are not based on the same circuits. If you have used both, how would they compare to each other. I have heard the Langevin AM4 console and have a sense of the overall flavor. I'm curious what people's experiences of these units are. Anyone have both? Which would you prefer based on your experience and taste. Would you consider more than two channels of either?

I know I have to try them both, but I like talking about gear anyway.
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

The Langevin version is a "copy" of the Langevin AM-4. But they have changed the eq points, the transformers and the Line amp so although its a great sounding box it really has no relation to the original other than Manley bought out the Langevin name and took the design of this unit as a starting point.

Again its a nice unit but..........

The Mercury I don't know about yet. I haven't heard it or the transformers that are being used but knowing Dave a bit I am sure it sounds great even if its not exact.

Michael Greene
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Michael,

Thanks for the response. I take it that you have used the Manley Langevin and like it. What mics and sources have you used it with that were pleasing to your ear?

Alex Sterling
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
Michael,

Thanks for the response. I take it that you have used the Manley Langevin and like it. What mics and sources have you used it with that were pleasing to your ear?

Alex Sterling
I have used it. I pretty much tried it on everything and I have 4 original am-4 modules to compare it to. I like it. The deal with Manley for me is that they really have great, clean sounding transformers in all of their gear. It really makes the Manley/Langevin sound for me. Clean, warm and nice.

The original AM-4's are more dirty and gritty with a forward midrange and a looser bottom end. Not like Neve loosness but not API tight either.

The Manley/Langevin stuff is cleaner and sweeter in the top end and the EQ is probably more useable in todays world.

Michael Greene
Old 3rd May 2008
Gear Guru

those old langevin circuits have great attitude, which is the one thing lacking in all the manley/langevin gear i've heard.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 4th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
those old langevin circuits have great attitude, which is the one thing lacking in all the manley/langevin gear i've heard.

gregoire
del
ubk
Thanks also for the reply.
Are you referring only to the solid state Manley Langevin products or to Manley's tube units as well.

Alex Sterling
Old 4th May 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
Are you referring only to the solid state Manley Langevin products or to Manley's tube units as well.

everything. the word i would use to describe their entire product line is 'gentlemanly.'

sometimes that's exactly the right ticket, especially with compression.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
I have used it. I pretty much tried it on everything and I have 4 original am-4 modules to compare it to. I like it. The deal with Manley for me is that they really have great, clean sounding transformers in all of their gear. It really makes the Manley/Langevin sound for me. Clean, warm and nice.

The original AM-4's are more dirty and gritty with a forward midrange and a looser bottom end. Not like Neve loosness but not API tight either.

The Manley/Langevin stuff is cleaner and sweeter in the top end and the EQ is probably more useable in todays world.

Michael Greene
My Am-4 beats my 1073 for it's 50/60Hz wallop. Who needs a Pultec (let alone a Manley or Mercury...)!
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Here is some reviews on the Langevin pre (on the DVC)
Langevin Dual Vocal Combo
Mojo Pie -- Review of the Langevin Dual Vocal Combo

My friend has the DVC and it is clean with a touch of vintage character to it. It sounds great on everything. heh
Old 3rd December 2008
Gear Addict

Digging my AM4s here. They're sweet and funky.
Kinda clear yet chewy.
Old 4th November 2009
Lives for gear

i've been using the mercury am16's for about 6 months now and love what they are offering as pres.

i havent used the originals, but i love how they sound.

a very silky top end and a controlled low end.

they don't seem to be very popular though.

anybody else using the mercury am16's?????????
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

I love the Langevin dual mono mic pre. I have owned this thing since the 90's but really have got into it on vocals just this year.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Oops old thread, sorry
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

old thread but

great unit, amazing for acoustic instruments, especially with ribbon mics and a mogaine booster.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There are two versions of that Langevin Manley pre...the earlier ones are close to the old langevin circuit, the second faceplate type changed it up to a newer design that Hutch did. (If I remember the name right.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I dig using mine for overheads.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search