The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Top 5 monitors
Old 29th November 2013
  #61
Lives for gear
 
JAZJETSON's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptmary View Post
Can't believe there's been only one vote for k+h! Another one here for the 0110 and 0300!!
+1
Old 29th November 2013
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Hows thats then?

ADAM monitors use ribbon tweeter technology, now that is something to talk about IMO. PMC has great driver technology and just sound great. Genelec 8040s are well proven and need little introduction. The KRK Expose E8B are made in China fwiw (why o why), and I reserve a big ? for that alone when it comes to speaker / amp technology at the high end.
Who cares where they're made? "Made in China" is not a problem these days. If you don't know that, you're missing a whole lot of change over the last several years. And for the record, ribbon transducers are not in anyway new.

You should try the E8b. But you'd have to let go of nationalistic prejudice to hear them for what they are. They are FAR from low quality, and will favorably compete with (and in some instances slay) just about anything in their size and power category.

Most of these talkers on GS, you know the ones who claim to have used everything under the sun, don't have the money to even audition a pair. So, don't let that incessant hater rhetoric fool ya either.
Old 29th November 2013
  #63
Lives for gear
 
herecomesyourman's Avatar
Listing out near-field monitors that are still made today?
  • Unity Audio "The Rock" MKII's
  • Equator Q12's and Q10's (The Q10's are a steal at $1,500 for a pair. The 12's are probably a little nicer.)
  • Focal Twins
  • ADAM S1X's

Similarly priced Genelec speakers should get honorable mention.
Old 29th November 2013
  #64
Lives for gear
Should have mentioned that I meant the square Genelecs not the new fancy ones. They are a bit too "good" sounding for mixing but for editing you can really hear the details of a performance.
Old 29th November 2013
  #65
Here for the gear
 

Love my Equator Q10's. I think they deserve a shout out.
Old 30th November 2013
  #66
Gear Maniac
 

I'm still waving the flag for the 824's myself.
Old 30th November 2013
  #67
Gear Head
 

focal twins defiantly up there
Old 30th November 2013
  #68
Gear Addict
Event Opals come in under 3 k and no doubt the best monitor in this class....
I have had the focal twins...... Great monitors no doubt but deff don't have the low end info and front to back depth that the Opals offer. So here is my list.

Event opals
Focal twins
Focal solo
Focal Cms series with Sub
Kh120
Old 1st December 2013
  #69
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsantana View Post
Event Opals come in under 3 k and no doubt the best monitor in this class....
I have had the focal twins...... Great monitors no doubt but deff don't have the low end info and front to back depth that the Opals offer. So here is my list.

Event opals
Focal twins
Focal solo
Focal Cms series with Sub
Kh120
The opals have won several awards this year. I chose them because I do a lot of bass heavy music r&b, hip hop and there is no need for a sub with them. Can't wait to get mine!
Old 1st December 2013
  #70
Gear Addict
Does anyone prefer the Focal Solo 6's over the Twin 6 for use in a small room? (I just asked the same question in another thread but this one seems more appropriate)
Old 1st December 2013
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
Who cares where they're made? "Made in China" is not a problem these days. If you don't know that, you're missing a whole lot of change over the last several years. And for the record, ribbon transducers are not in anyway new.

You should try the E8b. But you'd have to let go of nationalistic prejudice to hear them for what they are. They are FAR from low quality, and will favorably compete with (and in some instances slay) just about anything in their size and power category.

Most of these talkers on GS, you know the ones who claim to have used everything under the sun, don't have the money to even audition a pair. So, don't let that incessant hater rhetoric fool ya either.
This and with this I will add
sE Electronics Munro Eggs


I have been trying out monitors for the last year and of the currently available new ones in the $2000-2500 range these are great.

Monitors can be a very personal and subjective thing. I have Focal Spirit Pro Headphones I love. I do happen to like the Solo 6 Be's as well but I keep on coming back to the Eggs.

I am about to pull the trigger on them and I will see if my initial impressions ring true in the long run.
Old 1st December 2013
  #72
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainj View Post
Does anyone prefer the Focal Solo 6's over the Twin 6 for use in a small room? (I just asked the same question in another thread but this one seems more appropriate)
Yes I use the solo's with a sub 6 over the twins. I work out of a smaller studio so it worked out great! If I had a larger room id get the twins for sure.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 1st December 2013
  #73
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
Who cares where they're made? "Made in China" is not a problem these days. If you don't know that, you're missing a whole lot of change over the last several years. And for the record, ribbon transducers are not in anyway new.

You should try the E8b. But you'd have to let go of nationalistic prejudice to hear them for what they are. They are FAR from low quality, and will favorably compete with (and in some instances slay) just about anything in their size and power category.

Most of these talkers on GS, you know the ones who claim to have used everything under the sun, don't have the money to even audition a pair. So, don't let that incessant hater rhetoric fool ya either.
Where it's made does make a difference...especially when you need parts. We stopped selling KRK when we were quoted 2 months for a replacement tweeter. Maybe a hobbyist can be down for 2 months but not our customers.
Old 1st December 2013
  #74
Gear Maniac
 
mildav's Avatar
 

Atc
Adam
Neumann
Focal
Krk
Old 1st December 2013
  #75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Where it's made does make a difference...especially when you need parts. We stopped selling KRK when we were quoted 2 months for a replacement tweeter. Maybe a hobbyist can be down for 2 months but not our customers.
Your concerns are legit. In that case you'd have a case for recommending someone to buy another brand. But the common argument against things being made in China has nothing to do with down time, and everything to do with people deciding that something is necessarily inferior in quality because it's made in China. I don't disagree with your argument.

Considering the matter from another perspective, it might not be the case that the slow replacements on parts is really due to manufacturing being in China. Also, it might not be the case that as a rule there always is a slow turnaround for replacement parts. All of those questions are open to investigation and it's premature to conclude that since your business had problems with obtaining replacement parts in however many cases that it's due to the supplier having it's manufacturing in China. There are other variables to consider.
Old 1st December 2013
  #76
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
I was told clearly it was 8-12 weeks to get a tweeter as they were waiting on parts from China. Not the best news to tell the audio engineer for the top Latin Broadcast network.
It also helps when the focus of the speaker supplier is oriented to pro users.
Old 1st December 2013
  #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
I was told clearly it was 8-12 weeks to get a tweeter as they were waiting on parts from China. Not the best news to tell the audio engineer for the top Latin Broadcast network.
It also helps when the focus of the speaker supplier is oriented to pro users.
Again, I don't belittle your concerns. But there are reasons besides the fact that the parts are in China that make a wait happen.

If the parts are in the UK they could just as well be delayed. It all depends on the circumstances that cause the delay. It's generally not the case that parts are readily available but because they're in China it's going to take two months. China isn't the Moon. It's entirely possible to ship parts to and from there in a reasonably timely fashion. Why they might be delayed is a mystery that must be uncovered as it reveals itself to be a problem. But to suggest that it's no good dealing with any company that gets parts from China is irrational. Many of the goods we use everyday are sourced in China. And in many cases you can get replacement parts in a timely fashion. My point is that "made in China" isn't the problem. Whatever the infrastructure was that cased the delay was.

Furthermore, whether any of that has anything to do with the company as a whole is another unanswered question. It might, and in that case it would be wise for anyone to consider alternatives. But, it's all a matter of the specific situation. I'm simply not comfortable with the argument that China as link in the chain is the crux of the problem.
Old 2nd December 2013
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
China as a link in the chain is not the problem. I know this because sE Electronics stuff is manufactured at their own factory in China.
But you know what? If you have a problem with a sE Product they will replace the product practically overnight. In fact they have a 3 year exchange item warranty as well.

KRK Is currently owned by Harmon( which I think is owned by Gibson lol) which is a huge conglomerate. They are not concerned with service as much as just numbers.

Enlightened hand is right its how the company handles their customer service not because of the country the item is manufactured in.

E8B's are actually the last of the great KRK's. I wound hazard to say if one bought them under normal conditions they probably would not need servicing.

I actually own a set of KRK V8's and blew a tweeter after 7 years of use. I was able to pick up a tweeter at a authorized KRK repair shop in Burbank. I would hazard to say that it should be the same situation in Miami, New York, Chicago. Maybe I am wrong?
Old 2nd December 2013
  #79
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post

KRK Is currently owned by Harmon( which I think is owned by Gibson lol) which is a huge conglomerate. They are not concerned with service as much as just numbers.

Enlightened hand is right its how the company handles their customer service not because of the country the item is manufactured in.
KRK is owned by Gibson...not Harmon

If you're selling to professionals I expect proper service. Glad you were able to get the parts you needed. I was not.
Old 2nd December 2013
  #80
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
KRK is owned by Gibson...not Harmon

If you're selling to professionals I expect proper service. Glad you were able to get the parts you needed. I was not.
In the UK, KRK is distributed by Focusrite - they give excellent service.
Old 6th December 2013
  #81
Gear Nut
 
damianschwartz's Avatar
I find the Rocks MKII very hard to beat. Tried Twins, Opals and Spiral, Twins are great, but Rocks still more open and detailed IMO, best nears i have ever had.
Old 6th December 2013
  #82
Lives for gear
 
Swurveman's Avatar
I have a pair of Mackie HR824's and want to augment them with a new pair of speakers.

Does anybody know what the big speakers are off the desk in the attached Daniel Lanois picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Top 5 monitors-daniel-lanois-mackie.jpg  
Old 6th December 2013
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Hjelmevold's Avatar
Those look like Westlake BBSM monitors
Old 7th December 2013
  #84
Gear Addict
 

se Munro eggs. In my opinion are the best monitors. If I had 5k to spend on 2 pairs of monitors i would buy two sets of eggs.
Old 7th December 2013
  #85
Lives for gear
 
madehumble's Avatar
Event Opals. Hands down the best in that price range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 7th December 2013
  #86
Lives for gear
 
Swurveman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
Those look like Westlake BBSM monitors
Thank you.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Marly88 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1
StuartMac / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
Groove Dog / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
musictech / So Much Gear, So Little Time
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump