The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alembic SF2, Comments?????? Ribbon Microphones
Old 14th December 2002
no ssl yet 
Alembic SF2, Comments??????

Anyone using one? What do you think of it?
It allows me to do ________ to my Bass and guitar? (Help Fil in the Blank)
How is it different from plug ins and other gear?
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Alembic SF2, Comments??????

Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
It allows me to do ________ to my Bass and guitar? (Help Fil in the Blank)
"Add Balls"
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Nut

Be careful with that thing. The first time I tried it in the music store I boosted some low frequency and everyone in the store got really dizzy. I couldn't walk straight for a few minutes. I know that it's funny, but it is true!
Old 14th December 2002
no ssl yet 
Ecue I learn from the best

I am a mere young Jedi taking notes (always taking notes)

I like all of the solutions that dont break the bank but make a world of difference

Like the Dreaded B word

Behringer

Edison
Ultrafex
Dualfex

See I pay attentiongrggt

Lord Alvin I see youre in Rainy Portland Oregon

Do you know John "Walter Midi"? He runs a nice protools facility out your way with cool tracking rooms
Old 14th December 2002
no ssl yet 
ecue any other hints you wanna give I'm all ears and notepad

What direct boxes do you recomend for tracking keyboards samplers, mpc ect..???
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am a mere young Jedi taking notes (always taking notes)
Aren't we all?

Quote:
I like all of the solutions that dont break the bank but make a world of difference

Like the Dreaded B word

Behringer

Edison
Ultrafex
Dualfex
These units all work great. Don't sleep on them. The B eq's on the other hand I wouldn't use as a paper weight. I am NOT a fan of the Ultrabass unit and it sucks in comparison to the SF-2. If you do get to mess with the SF-2, take a bus send from a bass, go into a distressor (Try the Dist 2 setting with a high ratio, 10:1 or above) and then into the SF-2 and bring it back on the board. I tried the unit on guitar, but never really dug it (I was going for a Jerry Garcia sound since he used to play the Alembic guitars)

Quote:
ecue any other hints you wanna give I'm all ears and notepad

What direct boxes do you recomend for tracking keyboards samplers, mpc ect..???
Lately I've been using the A Design's MP-2 direct inputs for keyboards. I love this box and the ability to output different ohms values and predict a lot of the gearslutz out there will dig it too. When I track the MP[c], I usually use the Whirlwind rackmounted 4 channel DI or the 9K's hi Z input. I prefer the Whirlwind so I can ground lift as needed. These days it seems like every other MPC has at LEAST 1 effed up output even with rentals (which they swear are tested everytime the gear comes back to the rental co). Tracking MPC's is usually monkeywork. My east coast producers resist me eq's their sounds at the tracking stage, but they always grow to trust me. The biggest eff up I see when I'm mixing is people recording noise onto a track. Usually something as simple as a ground lift on the AC cable or a switched cable can fix this.
Old 14th December 2002
no ssl yet 
What's your opinion of rane eq's?
What ffx do you recommend to augment plugins (rev one lexiverb ect...)

Hey I had to edit this post because I thought of a use for B eq's (Just when you thought they had no purpose)

They should be loaded into a plane and used to sink the next shipment of Alesis 3630's and Adats. Hell just drop em on the Alesis factory
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

Honestly, I haven't used one.
Old 14th December 2002
no ssl yet 
I'm not in a rush to try em out but I heard from a friend that he likes em

But then he likes a bunch of shyt I hate

Here's one I've been wanting to know but never posted

what plugs don't run off old DSP farms I know they have only 4 chips But IF I could get 4 Rev ONe's or lexiverbs / waves delays or Waves mechanics plugs.

Hell, It would prove more powerful than a mix farm that would only run 3
Old 14th December 2002
Here for the gear

The Alembic SF-2 is an absolutely killer box for at least this 1 reason: it does things in a way no other hardware box (to my knowledge) does. That in & of itself is reason to lust for any gear regardless of WHAT it actually does; uniqueness is a commodity.

The fact that the SF-2 is actually useful for getting some bass tones is icing on the proverbial cake.

(The fact that I got mine brand new for $99 is some SERIOUS icing.)

But it is a monster boom-tinkle machine. I've done some de-fi'ing of vocals with it & it works ok, but it seems best suited for turning lackluster bass tracks into huge hi-fi bass tracks.

-b
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Nut

no SSL yet,

I have been to Walter Midi, but I have never worked there. The control room is laid out kinda funky. His tracking rooms are very nice though. John and I don't cross paths very often, but he seems like a good guy and his reputaion is solid. I should check it out again. I could use another decent tracking room in town.
Old 15th December 2002
no ssl yet 
Yeah Walter isn't really set up for mixing. But any place with good rooms Rhodes and B3 is pretty cool to me. He seems to like manley pre's alot

Hey maybe you know Dana Dane also. Indi cat putting out records. Owns Galore Paging On MLK. I was in PO doing some mix work for him last year.

It's hard to find nice anything in PO (especially since I don't get high

Well at least the ladies there treated me nicely and I got to pass through LA on the way out.
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

Bump for possible local gear trade!

I'd really appreciate an updated comment on this unit vs newer gear. I know it´s kind of an odd duck and so in a class of its own, but I´m only really interested if it really does massify the low end, yet tight and tidy. I've got loads of work and can´t even find the tag price for it (new or used)

But while we´re at it, anyone use it for some other use?
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Also wanted to breathe life into this thread!
Old 8th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel View Post
Also wanted to breathe life into this thread!
I'm a fan of the SF-2, fwiw. It'll turn any bass into BASS
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search