The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Revox C279 pres?
Old 21st April 2008
Gear Head

Revox C279 pres?

Does anybody know how the C279 pre's sound? I already have a desk that I like (TAC Scorpion) but am looking for good analog pres, Cheers.
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

Ha, this is the question i have in mind this few days. i just got a Revox c279 last week, thought i haven't power it up yet. but from what i'd read, they used the same pre amp in the studer 169 model, which is a very good sounding high end preamp. althought they are no Neve or API, but they are difference, maybe other user who have the experience for studer a779/revox c279 or studer 169 can give us some ideal?

ken
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear
I used to own 2 c279s. It's a really nice little board.

The pres are quite nice, I actually kind of miss 'em now even though I got only high end pres in the mean time. For the price you won't be disappointed.

However, I talked to a guy who knows a lot of stuff about studer/revox and he told me that the pres were not the same as the ones in the Studer boards... They're in the same vein but not identical and not quite as good supposedly, I've never had them side by side so I don't really know.
The Revox pres are clean and big sounding, nice for acoustic music in my experience. The eq is limited but enough to make a few corrections while tracking.
It's not a high end board but I know you can track a great sounding album with just the C279 pres.

How much is the one you're interested in?
I wouldn't spend more than a 1000€ for a c279 in great shape.

Btw, watch out, a lot of these boards were used in radios or outdoor recordings so they're often pretty beat up, I'd want to see it before buying, unless you're getting it from a trustworthy store.

BJ
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

I have owned both the Revox and the Studer version of this board. Essentially the two consoles are the same with the Studer version having tape returns and more flexib le monitoring facilities. I have been told at Studer that the mic pres are the ones from the 169 console.

They are modern transformer based preamps, well designed and quiet. They are in the neutral sound world instead of the colored sound world.

They are high quality and designed to sound flattering for acoustic instruments.

Buy with confidence and don't overthink your purchase.
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I have been told at Studer that the mic pres are the ones from the 169 console.
I stand corrected.

Btw If you can get the Studer version, if I remember correctly the connections on the back give you a lot more options.
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have owned both the Revox and the Studer version of this board. Essentially the two consoles are the same with the Studer version having tape returns and more flexib le monitoring facilities. I have been told at Studer that the mic pres are the ones from the 169 console.

They are modern transformer based preamps, well designed and quiet. They are in the neutral sound world instead of the colored sound world.

They are high quality and designed to sound flattering for acoustic instruments.

WOW, be a new owner for the c279, im happy to read this. what about the summing amp for this mixer?
Old 2nd July 2013
Here for the gear

BUMP...some mo' Info?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear
Plush, I don't know if you'll even see this, but thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a small format desk to use on low mic count stuff with my Nagra IV-S. Offhand, do you have any idea what it might take to convert one of these to 110VAC? I presume you were using your in North America.

Honestly, I'd rather have a Sonosax SX-S8, but they are rare as hen's teeth on the pre-owned market.

Quote:

Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Plush, I don't know if you'll even see this, but thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a small format desk to use on low mic count stuff with my Nagra IV-S. Offhand, do you have any idea what it might take to convert one of these to 110VAC? I presume you were using your in North America.

Honestly, I'd rather have a Sonosax SX-S8, but they are rare as hen's teeth on the pre-owned market.
Those little Revox and Studer consoles are switchable 110/240 volt. So they are ready to work world wide. The only odd part about them is that they use a 2 prong IEC cable.

Here I use a Sonosax SX-PR and an old Audio Developments PICO mixer. Both bought used, both running on batteries.
I see some OK deals on the Sonosax second hand list on their website.

Second hand market – Sonosax
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear
Thank you for the response, Plush. That's very useful information. The switchable input voltage isn't readily apparent from photos I've seen of the C279 and its cousin from Studer, and I have not been able to find a schematic.

Funny you mention the Audio Developments mixers, as I was looking at a nice used AD255 selling for $5k/best offer, but have no idea as to the level of sound quality with these units as you rarely see them discussed. The Revox is selling for around $2500, which seems like a good price, considering it's excellent condition. Honesly, that AD255 might be more useful, as it can run on battery power and it's 8 channels rather than the Revox's 6.

Quote:
Those little Revox and Studer consoles are switchable 110/240 volt. So they are ready to work world wide. The only odd part about them is that they use a 2 prong IEC cable.

Here I use a Sonosax SX-PR and an old Audio Developments PICO mixer. Both bought used, both running on batteries.
I see some OK deals on the Sonosax second hand list on their website.

Second hand market – Sonosax
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

I moved to the Sonosax and Audio Developments after my ReVox and Studer consoles were stolen.

I like the battery power convenience and sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search