The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a lush stereo compressor/limiter Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

a lush stereo compressor/limiter

I'm looking for a lush sounding, high end compressor - hopefully with 2 stages so there's compression and limiting on both channels. I've used the LCA2b and it fits my needs, but there may be others out there? I have about 7k to spend. I guess I could buy a limiter and a compressor, but that's a lot more rack space and cables and power supplies, and transformers... etc. I want to use it for tracking and "light" mastering, and perhaps 2 bus. I have pendulum (clean, transparant, but musical ) and GD fetII (also fairly transparant) - but now I want something thats the moral equivalent of Sophia Loren in a box. . Ideas? t
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Some people would say you're describing a Manley Vari-Mu:

"Variable Mu® Limiter Compressor does better than anything else: final mix, 2-track, or mastering limiting and compression. Like one reviewer put it: “It’s like pouring a bowl of sweet cream over the mix.” Mmmmmm. Yummy. Give your music a big hug."
Old 16th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcconnell View Post
but now I want something thats the moral equivalent of Sophia Loren in a box. . Ideas? t
The only compressor that comes close is a Fairchild 670.

It can make the sound spread out like nothing out there. Its where every other modern Vari-Mu falls short IMO.
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Requisite L2M comes to mind.
Telefunken (Tab) U73's.
Quad Eight AM2B or AM3B.

These are lush sounding compressors (but they do comp OR limiting), except the Q8 which also has one of the best DeEssers I've ever used and can be used at the same time as the compressor.

Last edited by Silvertone; 16th April 2008 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: spelling...
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Here's two more you might have missed

I'll add these to what have already stated.
SHADOW HILLS MASTERING COMP,
ADL-670 Either comp or Limiting, not both!
Old 17th April 2008
Gear Addict

yeah - who doesnt want a fairchild - but they are EXTREMELY expensive!

so for other options

vari-mu is cool - it doesnt do a whole lot - very subtle setings
SLAM I like better - but its just a limiter
tubetech adds a flavor too

many people like the api 2500 on this forum

theres a guy on this forum who really swears by the dbx 160sl - ive never used one, so i would like to know also - i searched it, and hes the only one who talks about it
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks and some questions

Thrill - you obviously have a high opinion of Sophia Loren. but she's unattainable. My bad.
Silvertone - l2m looks promising based on your input but I'm not sure where to check price. Usual suspects? (Actually) I am liking my PSP Xenon so much as a limiter I might just limit itb. The Tube Tech and Shadow Hills are the only ones in the range that have 2 stages per channel.
Notbt - The Shadow hills is on my list. Is Vintage King the right supplier?

The Varimu seems about right but not particularly flexible - and I've heard a lot of samples which use it and they often seemed mushy to me. Mush and Lush do not always come together do they?

When I get it down to two I'll try both. ADM was 19k!!! Worth it I'm sure but over budget. If the Fairchild is Sophia Loren, would the ADM be Raquel Welch - the excellent but less soulful imitation? ted
Old 17th April 2008
Anyone have a Universal 2-LA-2 they can comment on?

Old 17th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcconnell View Post
Thrill - you obviously have a high opinion of Sophia Loren. but she's unattainable. My bad.
Silvertone - l2m looks promising based on your input but I'm not sure where to check price. Usual suspects? (Actually) I am liking my PSP Xenon so much as a limiter I might just limit itb. The Tube Tech and Shadow Hills are the only ones in the range that have 2 stages per channel.
Notbt - The Shadow hills is on my list. Is Vintage King the right supplier?

The Varimu seems about right but not particularly flexible - and I've heard a lot of samples which use it and they often seemed mushy to me. Mush and Lush do not always come together do they?

When I get it down to two I'll try both. ADM was 19k!!! Worth it I'm sure but over budget. If the Fairchild is Sophia Loren, would the ADM be Raquel Welch - the excellent but less soulful imitation? ted
I feel that there are really no current compressors that do the lush or spread the sound thing, sorta like what a Mellotron does or when you hit tape hard(like a Fairchild 670). Most of the current stuff focuses more on being open and retaining the tone. The Phoenix Compressor for example does this well. You would think with its tubes and trannies it would change the tone when you crank the input full but it suprises you how uniform it keeps its tone. Same with the Pendulumn 6386 and ES8. The Manley Vari-MU tone does change but it doesn't spread out anymore like it used to. Its more linear sounding than ever.

By the way Raquel Welch to me would be the original Neve 2254's.
Old 17th April 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

Phoenix compressor coupled with a Vintage Design compressor would be on the lush side.
The Phoenix alone has a slight lush quality.
Roundbadge ought to post here. I wonder if the Shadow Hills is lush? Or the Retro 176?
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

Vintech 609 perhaps
Old 17th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootkao View Post
Vintech 609 perhaps
+1 on the 609CA.thumbsup
Old 17th April 2008
Lives for gear

Proven pair Phoenix into C2.
If it can't do it, than it's something seriously missing in the stereo signal.
Old 17th April 2008
Gear Head

The Phoenix into the Pendulum PL2 peak limiter. Awesome.
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa View Post
Anyone have a Universal 2-LA-2 they can comment on?

Love it!
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Addict

Older thread, but check out the TSL-3 Vac Rac.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search