The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anybody Using PT Plugs Recording Wise
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Anybody Using PT Plugs Recording Wise

Just wanted to know is anybody having success with recording vocals, gtr, bass, keyboards with something like analog channel, duy plug's, Sony plug's etc....?
What does this do to your audio?
Is it alright to use on vocals? Say like the Analog Channel Compressor when recording vocals. Very lite compression of course.
Or would it be better to use Waves double precision plug's?
Will this make it better?
I'm using a Mix Plus Sys.
I have a CIB and a Demeter with a Apogee Convertor Px-100.
And yes I know it would be better to record vocals with that but what if I use the Mic Pre from the Demter going into the Apogee then going into a Analog channel AC1 Compressor. My CIB has a compressor but with I'm recording drums or maybe a choir and I need a compressor for my Demeter Dual Mic Pre I'm looking at my Analog Channel. Should I?
By the way I got a tip from a friend saying that I should use the Drawmer on live drums when it comes to mixdown. How about using it to record with?
What do u guys think?
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

But why would you record the effect of the plugins immediately to the audiofile during record in the first place unless you want to save the dsp.

You'd have to go through an aux and bus that to an audio track. ok it would work but were the advantage is soundwise beats me a bit. You could insert the plugs on the audio track to have the effect there while listening back yes. I do that sometimes.(although one has to be carefull with plugin delay issues while doing that )

as a general tip ... browse through the guest mod archives for last months moderator Charles Dye for some realy cool tips and techniques on using plugins.
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Thanx Chris for your reply. The reason being is because recording with a small amount of compression always helps. When I use my Pure Path I record with compression as most people do. On drums it would help with the peaks that sometimes accur. I want to know if it will hurt my audio and in what way.

Thanx
M2E
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

One of the best benefits of Plug-ins is that they don't affect the recorded audio in a permanent way. So if you like to record with a plug in inserted on that track, there should be no problems... (except for the DSP induced delay already mentioned). You can always remove the plug in later if you don't like it.
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Head

I don't think you're going to hurt your audio by compressing while recording. The thing to keep in mind, though, if you're using software compression as a plug-in on an insert:

A.) the effect doesn't print
B.) your meters will be inaccurate in regards to what you're actually recording because they'll reflect the levels after the plug-in
C.) If you're using the compressor to tame peaks while you're tracking, you're not actually taming them because the plug-in is post converters

Chris is right. It's going to be a big pain to actually track and print at the same time. If I was doing something like this, I would print the effects after the fact to save DSP. The only time I've really done something like this is recording a guitar direct using a plug-in like Amp Farm or the PSA-1 Sans Amp. I'll print the effect to another track, or Audiosuite it when possible, and then I'll save the original in case I need to go back.

Dave
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Thanx Kris & dstagl...
But do you know if anybody has did any test on this?
And if it is ok to do it why don't a lot more people do it?
Not trying to be a pain in your guys. It's just that everytime I ask this there's always a short answer to it, Just don't do it.
But in a mix it's ok. And if you want to bounce down the effect with it it's ok. But don't record it live.
I don't know...That why I'm posing this question to you guys. I want the best for my audio but if using a plug would make it better would you use it?

Thanx again guys...
M2E
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

The only reason I can see doing it during tracking is if it helps the performer to make a better take... With just a bit of compression, I doubt it would. Just slap the plug in on later...

If you feel like compression on the way in makes the track better, you need to do it with outboard gear, on the way in, before the converters... Otherwise insert your plugins wherever/whenever you want, remember the concept is that it is not permanently altering your track. It is an insert that can be engaged or disengaged at will.
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

As allready pointed out in my previous post one problem I see while recording with plugins is the latency involved. maybe ok with 1 track ... very dangerous with drums IMHO .... how in the world would you keep phase issues under control if listening back offers no guarentee what so ever .... unless you have the exact same plugs on every track you're recording of course. Also ... Adding plugins while recording might definately effect performance. AD/DA alone might for most not be noticable ... but a couple of heavy plugins (sony and the like .... ) definately will.

As for bouncing during a mix .... used to do that all the time whenever DSP got short .... and still would do it now if needed
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

Thanx Chris for your reply and others...
I guess I would use the Analog Channel AC1 Only and maybe the Drawmer but I would write down the different delay times and move them at the end since it's not a huge delay for them. Just really like the sound of both of them.
Mainly on drums but on a choir if recorded anytime soon. I do some test in the meantime to see what the difference is other than the delay. I'll post them to let you know if interested.

Thanx Guys....
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by M2E
.... I'll post them to let you know if interested.

That's what keeps us alive .....
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by M2E
Thanx Kris & dstagl...
But do you know if anybody has did any test on this?
And if it is ok to do it why don't a lot more people do it?
Not trying to be a pain in your guys. It's just that everytime I ask this there's always a short answer to it, Just don't do it.
Well, I don't think you're going to hurt your quality running through a plug. But another reason to not do it is that it's going to use a lot more of your system resources. The other reason is, if it's a plugin and I'm doing it digitally, I would rather not print the plugin while recording because then I lose that level of undo. Unless it's some sort of time oriented effect that would be hard to replicate like a flanger. But otherwise what's the point to printing it right away? There isn't really a benefit to printing it right away, and you're just adding more complications by trying to do so. You can always print a plugin once you've got the audio in Pro Tools.

Dave
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear