The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has anybody tried the daking Desk?
Old 11th December 2002
Has anybody tried the daking Desk?

The daking sitehttp://www.daking.com/
has a pic of this pretty little desk, is it out? Have you used one?
Whaddya think?yuktyy
daniel
Old 11th December 2002
I got to play around with it for quite a while on some pre canned audio CD's at AES. Same generally extra silky character of his preamps, eq's, and compressors....that same quality seems to run through all of Geoff's gear to my ears. The EQ had tons of headroom just like on the outboard unit, the routing matrix system seemed comprehensive and impressive although I would still need an extensive patchbay. I like the fact that the i/o terminates on regular XLR & TRS (both I believe) As for functionality of running it through a whole session from start to finish, nope, haven't been there so I can't say.
Old 14th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
I got to play around with it for quite a while on some pre canned audio CD's at AES. Same generally extra silky character of his preamps, eq's, and compressors....that same quality seems to run through all of Geoff's gear to my ears. The EQ had tons of headroom just like on the outboard unit, the routing matrix system seemed comprehensive and impressive although I would still need an extensive patchbay. I like the fact that the i/o terminates on regular XLR & TRS (both I believe) As for functionality of running it through a whole session from start to finish, nope, haven't been there so I can't say.
Nathan you lucky sod, you get to play with all the best toys!
How would you say this stacks up to vintage/high end stuff?
Thanks for the info,
Daniel
Old 14th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
Nathan you lucky sod, you get to play with all the best toys!
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a client

Quote:
How would you say this stacks up to vintage/high end stuff?
Definitely on the high level of any of the best stuff old or new....and it doesn't sound like anything else new or currently produced on the market (that I am aware of anyway), so it has a great niche.
Old 14th January 2003
Yeah, I bumped this back up
The 16 channel Daking looks like its around $25k, if you were running prostools is this the board you'd get?
I saw a 16 channel neve on ebay the other nite go for 12k or so.
Would you get just as good results going with the new Yammy or Sony for $20k? Any and all opinions welcome thanks
daniel
Old 14th January 2003
I would have thought the Daking would win out over those suggestions.
But the price.....................
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

I think the Daking desk was more like 40 k.....looked like big format desk that had gone on the Monsanto ride at Disneyland, really cute.
Anyone using the mic pre or comps?
Old 15th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
I think the Daking desk was more like 40 k.....looked like big format desk that had gone on the Monsanto ride at Disneyland, really cute.
Yep - a pair of preamps, a pair of compressors. I like them both.
Old 16th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
I can't find the link anymore but I thought I saw the 16 channel version without the center section for $25k?
Who knows what it is now, I'll have to call around.
daniel
Old 16th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
I can't find the link anymore but I thought I saw the 16 channel version without the center section for $25k?
Pro Audio Design say the list is $30k but they will do it for $25k.

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/morein...ItemID=P20470:

It's a stunner though.:eek:
Old 16th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Pro Audio Design say the list is $30k but they will do it for $25k.

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/morein...ItemID=P20470:

It's a stunner though.:eek:
Chrisso, thanks I knew I saw it somewhere! Other than a used neve sidecar is there anything else good in this pricerange?
daniel
Old 16th January 2003
In the area of new consoles, not much I guess.
You're looking at Inward Connections again (see other threads). There's plenty of stuff similar to the Daking in vintage consoles.
Vintage King have an amazing portable, but very well featured Calrec console for $26k. They also have a Trident 80c for $25k. VK have got fabulous gear but they ARE premium prices.
I've heard of a 32ch Sphere for $10,000 (fully working) and there are a few Quad Eight Coronado's around for between $25k - $30k.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear