The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin 6 or ProAc 100 Studio Monitors
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Had the Bryston 4Bs. Good, but the high end was killing me over hours of mixing. The Mcintosh 2105 is a perfect fit. Thats what I use.

As for the Focal twins. I know a friend that had the focals for a while. Sold them, bought the proacs. And has been happy since. YMMV.
One year in with my twins and i still love em'. they make me smile every time i turn them on. heh
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delano517 View Post

One year in with my twins and i still love em'. they make me smile every time i turn them on. heh

Yep. Everyone has their own taste. I am can honestly say I am done with my monitor search. I guess the op just needs to try them both out!
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

IMO, the ProAc Studio 100s (powered by Brston 4B Stuart Taylors) are head and shoulders above the Focal twins. Not even close. I found the Focals to have a sloppy low-end and little mid-range detail. For that matter, IMO the smaller Focal solos sound better than the twins.
Old 3rd October 2012
Quote:
Had the Bryston 4Bs. Good, but the high end was killing me over hours of mixing. The Mcintosh 2105 is a perfect fit. Thats what I use.

I agree. I find that the 2105 with the ProAcs work very well. Being mostly a live musician for the last 25 years has not left me with the most robust hearing. My frequency response is OK, but I'm very sensitive to shrill or loud sounds. I've found that this combination lets me work the longest without fatigue.

My previous monitors were Focal CMS 50s (still use them for location work, although mostly for the less aggressive stuff where some finesse is needed), JBL LSR25ps (my location monitors for aggressive music. These little suckers take a serious beating! Best $200 I've spent on monitors), Dynaudio BM5as and a bunch of other random stuff. I guess none of them really belong in the high end category, but they all have their uses.

Oh yeah, my 2105 was my bass amp in high school in the 70s. It looks like it's been dragged by a truck for 500 miles. Glass is long gone. It's been overhauled exactly once for some new caps a few years ago and sounds great. Best $200 I've spent on a power amp.
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by delano517 View Post

I feel the same way about my Twins. Auditioned against Solo at the time and much preferred the Twins. My clients are as in love with the sound as I am, which is helpful. And, for my own personal taste, the Twins with the ADC/DAC from my ULN-2 is the closest to reproducing what I hear when I'm playing my Steinway M. Couldn't put my finger on what I was missing until I was able to hear that combination.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
I feel the same way about my Twins. Auditioned against Solo at the time and much preferred the Twins. My clients are as in love with the sound as I am, which is helpful. And, for my own personal taste, the Twins with the ADC/DAC from my ULN-2 is the closest to reproducing what I hear when I'm playing my Steinway M. Couldn't put my finger on what I was missing until I was able to hear that combination.
+1

I had the Solos on evaluation for 2 months,they were very nice ,then I tried the Twins and I instantly knew that's what I wanted!
The Twin6's have been in my setup now for 6 years!
They are great monitors. ;-)
Old 24th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron florentine View Post
I power my Proacs 100 with an Audio Research amp...
Which A.R. model is recommended?

Quote:
Had the Bryston 4Bs. Good, but the high end was killing me over hours of mixing. The Mcintosh 2105 is a perfect fit.
Would an A.R. or Mcintosh be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
I found the Focals to have ...little mid-range detail.
Wow, that's the exact opposite every other comment I've ever read about the Twins... and my personal experience when I heard them. Wonder if the pair u heard was jacked???
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

I've only had my ProAcs for about 3 months but I love them. I'm using a Mcintosh Mc2200 to power them.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
IMO, the ProAc Studio 100s (powered by Brston 4B Stuart Taylors) are head and shoulders above the Focal twins. Not even close. I found the Focals to have a sloppy low-end and little mid-range detail. For that matter, IMO the smaller Focal solos sound better than the twins.
I have the Solo's and like them. They sound great.. just great, but I would like a touch more bass, could see upgrading one day to the new SM9 or getting some ATC's or ProAC's for a different perspective.

Love love love the Solo be6 for a nearfield... ( i have heard TONS of great monitors including Focal Grande Utopias, Dunleavy, B&W etc...)
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
every time i'm in the room with proacs i feel like the high end is tearing my face off, so they're not my cup of tea.

what you've heard about the s3a's is completely bogus; i can't think of a more trustworthy speaker when it comes to mid-heavy, guitar driven rock.

love the twins, too; just make sure you burn them in for 2-3 days before judging them. they're raspy out of the box, but mellow out quickly and by 2 months are pure butter.

gregoire
del
ubk

This has to be the most accurate response I've heard for Focal Twins. I've had mine for just about a month and they are getting to the point to where I can trust them. They actually sound better everyday. Constant burn in the first few months is key. I run at fairly high volumes and the woofers still haven't loosened all the way up but the bass is huge. The highs and midrange is where I've had my issues with them. They sound like they have a blanket wrapped around them out of the box.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search