The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 8240 or 8250? Studio Monitors
Old 5th April 2008
Here for the gear

Genelec 8240 or 8250?

Hi all,
I am in the process of getting a new pair of monitors. I am wondering if any of you have tried the genelec 8240 and 8250 side by side? Are the extra 10 hz in bass response you get with 8250 worth the price increase? What about the x over frequence? I´ve read that many prefer the 8040 to 8050, is it the same with the dsp versions?

I will try to set up a test myself in due time, but for now i would like to hear your impressions oh, mighty gearslutz!

Thanks for your time.
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

Hello. I've not heard the digital range but I chose the 8050a over the 8040a because I found the bass end on the 8040a's to be hyped. The 8050a's sound more natural in the low end.

There are people who will disagree with me but YMMV.

The excellent thing about the digital versions is they can be calibrated using the supplied software to adapt to your needs and studio acoustics.

Best of luck!

Paul
Old 6th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Dro,

I chose the 8240's. You are better served if bass is a concern to buy yourself a pair of 8240's and get a subwoofer with DSP that Genelec has than to pay that much more for the DSP 8250. I haven't noticed any problem with the extra 10 hz that the 8240 doesn't have. Save the extra cash and put it towards the DSP sub if the low eend is taht important. my 2 cents
Old 6th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Bob Katz prefer 8040s, he thinks 8050s has a little to much upper midrange
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

I bought the 8040 instead of the 8050. Like it better. Sounds smoother.
TD
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

8240 here. They go low enough for most music related needs.

I agree that the best idea is to go with 8240's and later on if you miss that last lowend extension (I don't), get the dsp sub that just happens to phase align with the 8240's when used with the GLM software.
Old 6th April 2008
Gear Head

How big is your room? Aside from the pricetag, to me that is the biggest determining factor whether you need the 8050s or not.

Like Blenn, I found the lows more natural. I'd vote for the 8050s.
Old 6th April 2008
Gear Maniac

I went for the 8040s. Something about the mids in the 8050s didn't sound right to my ears. The crossover frequency differs.

Petter
Old 8th April 2008
Here for the gear

Thank you all for your input. I am leaning towards the 8240 and eventually a dsp sub. Seems to be the way to go for me. I will hopefully be able to set up a listening session with both 8240 + sub and a pair of 8250 before i make my decission.

Another thing, is it possible to avoid the extra latency the dsp adds (eg turn off) when you are tracking guitars/di bass and like to monitor through the speakers?

/Thankx
Markus
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromedar View Post
Another thing, is it possible to avoid the extra latency the dsp adds (eg turn off) when you are tracking guitars/di bass and like to monitor through the speakers?
No need to, you won't notice any latency.
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

Just to prove that only listening to these guys in your own studio with your own ears is the best advice here.

Bob Katz, from what I have read, does appear to prefer the 8040a's over the 8050a's but George Massenburg prefers the 8050a's.

The 8040a's with a sub would be great, I imagine, but on their own their bass end is definitely hyped where as the 8050a's, to me, sound much more natural. But what really blows me away is the stereo imaging on the 8050a's, and here no sub will help, is definitely superior!

I have no problems with the midrange either. All my mixes - always transfer well hence making me trust my monitors. I neither find them fatiguing, lying or hyped. I love them!

YMMV!

Paul
Old 9th April 2008
Gear Maniac

The fact of the matter is the 8240 and the 8040 sound different. The 8240 has the capability to sound exactly as the listener chooses to make it within their room. So comparing an 8240 to an 8040 are close but not exactly the same. It will become flatter in a well treated room than the analogue version will.

The Latency is really not an issue. It isn't a consumer grade version of EQ. It isn't an Audessy HT EQ. Treat your room and let the Genelec DSP flatten it the rest of the way.

Here are some of the facts about the 8200 series.
GENELEC 8200 Series DATASHEET

The 8240A. A big step.

Genelec 8240A wins 2008 MIPA Award for Best Studio Monitor
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hi. Old post, but I´m here. Hi.

I have an opportunite to get one of the following pairs: 8040B or 8050B or 8240A (old model) or 8430APM as an Exchange with a Dealer.
I have a small Room 10'x11' (with irregular small entrance hall with 3'x4').
I would like to have more Bass to try some Synths (I´m a Keyboard player), and for small music productions with Live 10 and ProTools.
In fact, I don´t know if SAM will help me so much (8240A Old Version with SAM vs New Version of 8040B without SAM), or I get the 8050B for more bass (without SAM). Or 8430APM (ideal for the size of my desk with SAM).
Really crazy with this options, since I need to be focused on these models that the Dealer has in stock.
Please, I appreciate your comments. I need to decide for these weeks.
Alex
Old 26th April 2018
Gear Maniac

My room is small too. 7' x 12'. I've got the 8330s. SAM makes a huge difference. Without SAM enabled the bass is out of control and overwhelming. With SAM on, the bass is tight.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search