The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording thru Orpheus's micpre VS 1073DPA+FF800 Audio Interfaces
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Head

Recording thru Orpheus's micpre VS 1073DPA+FF800

hi slutz,

since i already got a RME FF800, i was considering to get neve 1073 DPA.
(yes, 2ch mic pre is just enough for me, and 1073 DPD is not an option for me)
i read and heard that the mic pres of Orpheus are pretty good.
now i'm considering to get Orpheus and say goodbye to FF800.

what would you choose?
please, help!

A. Orpheus's Mic pre
B. 1073DPA out->FF800 line in
Old 4th April 2008
Lives for gear

I would personally get a Lynx Aurora 8 or 16 and get yourself and Great river preamp - will sound like a neve but i bit more clear and less money - I have heard them both on the same material
Old 4th April 2008
Lives for gear

The Orpheus is a very clean accurate preamp where as the Neve is a very coloured preamp. Both are excellent amps - so it's all about what sound you're after.

Paul

p.s. The Orpheus is a smoking piece of kit and for £1000 more than the Neve you'll get twice the amount of pre's, 8 I/O of kick ass AD/DA (probably the best you can get at the moment), staggering clock, midi I/O, monitor controller,2 x headphone amps - ah well just a beautiful piece of kit that is leagues ahead of the FW800.

Paul
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
I would personally get a Lynx Aurora 8 or 16 and get yourself and Great river preamp - will sound like a neve but i bit more clear and less money - I have heard them both on the same material
thank you very much for the advice.
i heard about GR stuff that they all awesome.
well, i should check'em out and give'em try..
thanks again!

keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn View Post
The Orpheus is a very clean accurate preamp where as the Neve is a very coloured preamp. Both are excellent amps - so it's all about what sound you're after.

Paul

p.s. The Orpheus is a smoking piece of kit and for £1000 more than the Neve you'll get twice the amount of pre's, 8 I/O of kick ass AD/DA (probably the best you can get at the moment), staggering clock, midi I/O, monitor controller,2 x headphone amps - ah well just a beautiful piece of kit that is leagues ahead of the FW800.

Paul
hey, thanks.
i enjoyed your thread/review(should i say?) about Orph a lot, though.
i wonder what the Orph's pres sound like.. seems like it is not kinda Neve,API style..
May be..Grace Design style?

keith
Old 4th April 2008
Here for the gear

Orpheus Pres

Hi

I got an Orpheus. It's true, the mic pre's are excellent. The DA is also fantastic, all the box. beside the software, which needs a few more revisions is very good. much better
sound than RME ADI2 which I know, much better than Metric Halo 2882 which I own

I opened the Box and had a look inside. Its a TI PGA2500 digital controlled preamp, same like in Fireface 400 ( not 800). 15€ at Digikey the chip.

Metric Halo is going to put out a ULN8 very soon, I guess same prizatag

nicholas

http://www.studiobeige.de
Old 4th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.oelberg View Post
I opened the Box and had a look inside. Its a TI PGA2500 digital controlled preamp, same like in Fireface 400 ( not 800). 15€ at Digikey the chip.
This is, supposedly, the same all-in-one chip used in the Apogee Ensemble and Duet.

Must be the chip dujour.
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 529 Pro Audio View Post
Keith,
I posted some rough mixes that were tracked through the Orpheus here:

Spokeshaver Session: March 29, 2008

Guitar Left, Kick, Snare, and Rhodes were all run through the Orpheus pres. Everything else was run through an API 3124+.

The left guitar is fairly effected at times with a Keeley rat, so don't let that fool you when comparing to the right guitar.

Hope this helps,

Chris

p.s. Blenn makes a good point regarding your two options. As a complete recording solution, the Orpheus is hard to beat for quality and quantity. I couldn't be happier...

Okay that's a lie, I would like pads on the preamp channels and the ability to mix the 8 ch. adat input, but other than that...
Many thanks, Chris.
i think you made it clear...
i gotta get an orph.

Quote:
Hi

I got an Orpheus. It's true, the mic pre's are excellent. The DA is also fantastic, all the box. beside the software, which needs a few more revisions is very good. much better
sound than RME ADI2 which I know, much better than Metric Halo 2882 which I own

Metric Halo is going to put out a ULN8 very soon, I guess same prizatag

nicholas

http://www.studiobeige.de
hi, nicholas, thanks for the comment!

then you mean, with the same cheap-chip used in ff400,
Orph sounded way better?
i really don't know much about chips and electronics stuff,
but to a guy like me, it sounds pretty strange..(no?)
same cheap component but sounds better...hmm
would you explain that? heh
Old 4th April 2008
Here for the gear

hi keith

my girlfriend won the orpheus, so we got hold of one without selling a kidney. I'm pretty broke, so I considered to sell the box. But I gave it a very serious try and compared it against my metric halo 2882. The Orpheus sounds fantastic and the difference is not subtle. I recorded a concert of mine with an old akg 422 stereo mic. I've never had such a good stereo recording.

nicholas

guess preamp sound the same adda much better than ff400
Old 5th April 2008
Gear Nut

Keith, you probably already made up your mind, which is great!

I'm another Orpheus user and believe me, I couldn't be happier. It's already my 3rd favorite piece of kit I have around (behind my RudiStor RPX-33 amp and Ultrasone Edition 9 headphone - what can I say, I'm a audiophile headphone freak ).

Everything that had to be said about the Orpheus has already been said. I'm in love. Who would've ever thought a firewire device could be so beautiful...

My precious...sss...
Old 5th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
hi keith

my girlfriend won the orpheus, so we got hold of one without selling a kidney. I'm pretty broke, so I considered to sell the box. But I gave it a very serious try and compared it against my metric halo 2882. The Orpheus sounds fantastic and the difference is not subtle. I recorded a concert of mine with an old akg 422 stereo mic. I've never had such a good stereo recording.

nicholas

guess preamp sound the same adda much better than ff400

many thanks, nicholas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladstone View Post
Keith, you probably already made up your mind, which is great!

I'm another Orpheus user and believe me, I couldn't be happier. It's already my 3rd favorite piece of kit I have around (behind my RudiStor RPX-33 amp and Ultrasone Edition 9 headphone - what can I say, I'm a audiophile headphone freak ).
Yes, I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladstone View Post
Everything that had to be said about the Orpheus has already been said. I'm in love. Who would've ever thought a firewire device could be so beautiful...

My precious...sss...
well, guess it's time for me to being broke!
thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search