The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which mic and pres for my setup? Condenser Microphones
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Maniac

which mic and pres for my setup?

Hello Slutz,

I am fairly new around here (lurker for quite awhile) and have decided to upgrade my small project studio with a few integral pieces. I know everybody asks these type of questions but I am looking for about 4 spaces of pres (I have decided on the 500 format for now). I have been using a focusrite 220 channel strip for most things and it is utterly boring and vanilla so I am looking to get into some very colored stuff.
I am looking for a couple pres for vocals and acoustic guitar and then another pair with a nice DI for my synths and drum machines. I am also looking for a mic with a very airy sound/open top. I have tried the Kiwi and like it a lot but I would like some other recommendations as well. I have been using an AKG 414 and I find it rather dark sounding on my voice.
you can hear some rough mixes of recent projects I have done here
myspace.com/onetoomanywizards to get an idea of my voice and the way I sing.
Thanks in advance
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Nut

you should listen to the great river 500 series pre ... it's gorgeous and very versatile on everything

if you want a pair of something, either the api's or maybe, the a designs pacifica p1 (i think) .... great on everything but i prefer the great river on vocals to both of these (my stuff is soul/funk/reggae)

you really, really have to hear a Mercury v72 (or v76) (Dave Marquettes Telefunken replicas)... these are my favorite .. they are awesome on everything but being tube, they don't come in 500 series and are expensive ... but completely unsurpassable ....

get a good eq ... an api or avedis in 500 (they're the only one's i have heard) and a compressor (do a search in mercenary or atlas or sweetwater for 500 series) but again api, buzz, daking?, etc

i have all this gear (great river, api, a designs, mercury, etc) in rack config as well as cranesong eq and comp and i would not part with any of it

i have a pair of Telefunken rtf ak47's and they are really quite superb on everything .... vocals, drum overheads, bass cab, acoustic guitar, percussion, room ... i have a/b'ed them with peluso 2247le, rhode nt's and k2 and neumann m149 and i would choose them every time ... a modern 'vintage' sound ..... warm, open, bright enough, not dark, lovely midrange ......

i reckon pearlman tm1 and lawson (choice) would be really top stuff as well as the new peluso (????) and the peluso 251 'clone' or just lash out and buy a wunder cm7 gt

you should listen to all of these and more ... trust your ears ... don't be pressured ... make a list ... look at the budget ... be real .. you could do a lot with a great mike, pre, eq, comp and add to it later

have fun

michael v

just jammin' studios
Old 4th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks
I will check out the great river for sure as I have not looked into those yet.
As for the AK47s I have actually heard they are quite dark. Maybe I will have to try one of those out for myself as well. Right now I am actually looking into the a designs series and am taking a closer look at the EM-blue.
Anybody using this on vocals?
Old 4th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOliver View Post
Thanks
I will check out the great river for sure as I have not looked into those yet.
As for the AK47s I have actually heard they are quite dark.

AK47 isn't really dark, it's balanced with a little bit of top. You could use it on an amp at a distance. AK47 into Great River is very sweet.
Old 4th April 2008
Lives for gear

If you're considering double wide 500 modules I'd check out the La Chappell tube pre.
Old 5th April 2008
API 3124.
Daking mic-pre IV.

Flip a coin.

As for the mic...only you know the sound that's in your head.

I'd start with considering mics that already have a good reputation. This requires research and reading. Once all this info is amassed...then consider pricing and narrow it down to a few. Once this is done...see if you can rent and try them. Then decide...and buy it.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search