The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What hardware in place of an ITB multiband compressor? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Addict
What hardware in place of an ITB multiband compressor?

This might be a dilletante question but nevertheless... I've used Yamaha Final Mater plug to make my tunes sound more "commercial". I know it's a poor substitute for professional mastering but I haven't recorded anything yet that was ready for professional mastering (that's coming in a few months hopefully). In the meantime I am slowly switching to OTB and I am looking for the hardware to achieve the same (well, better) results as with the Final Master. For those who are not familiar with FM it's a 3-band compressor plug. I use CD2 preset (which I think compresses the low and hi bands more than the mid) and it instantly makes everything sound very solid and... finished. The high band adds sibilance and I often need to use a de-esser but I hope with the hardware it may not be necessary. By the way, I don't use the FM to maximize loudness. I use it only for the sound. Of course, it does add 4-6 db to the overall volume, which I don't mind, but that's not my objective.

So... what are you suggestions? An EQ followed by a compressor? Like Massive Passive followed by Vari-Mu? Would that do the trick?
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Tube-tech makes an outboard analog multiband compressor. I have not used it myself yet, but i am generally a fan of tube-tech gear.

TubeTech SMC-2B Stereo Multiband Compressor
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Addict

The Tube-Tech is used by a lot of mastering facilities and I've heard nothing but good about it. We have one where I study but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Addict
Actually I've looked into the TubeTech multiband and I have not read anything great about it. Not that it's bad but it appears that for the money there are better compressors out there. The whole multiband deal seems to be a prerogative of digital domain. TubeTech tried to make an analog device using a digital idea and it didn't work well. I am of course reiterating what I've read on this and other forums. I haven't used the TubeTech multiband myself (but I almost bought it on ebay but then changed my mind after reading all the "meh" reviews).
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Not that I think this is particularly good, but...

HTTP://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=11959
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Was it a digital idea originally? I'm aware of other analog multiband comps and figured they started out analog.
Well, I don't know for sure how it started. But it appears that the majority of multiband compression is done either via plug-ins or with an outboard unit with converters. If you could list the analog multiband comps you know (aside from the TubeTech) I'd be interested.
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws View Post
Not that I think this is particularly good, but...

HTTP://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=11959
Well, this is a digital unit. I guess I should be more specific - I'm looking for analog hardware that achives similar results as the Yamaha Final Master mulitband comp. Once again I'm not so much interested in volume maximizing as the actual sound.
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

FWIW, most mastering facilities only use multiband compression to fix tracks that are extremely problematic. Most use high end analog hardware and a couple digital pieces here and there like Weiss, and the lack of more high end analog multiband compressors besides the Tube Tech attest to this- the demand isn't there, really.

Multiband compression got its start in radio processing, I believe, and it kind of stayed there until digital home studios started to crop up. You can pick up some old radio boxes that are analog, but don't expect transparency.

If you're mixing, I don't think you really need it to get the mix to sound finished. In fact, you don't even need to compress the master bus to get there (just ask Bruce Swedien), although a lot of us like the sound of a compressor hitting the mix a tiny bit.
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
FWIW, most mastering facilities only use multiband compression to fix tracks that are extremely problematic. Most use high end analog hardware and a couple digital pieces here and there like Weiss, and the lack of more high end analog multiband compressors besides the Tube Tech attest to this- the demand isn't there, really.

Multiband compression got its start in radio processing, I believe, and it kind of stayed there until digital home studios started to crop up. You can pick up some old radio boxes that are analog, but don't expect transparency.

If you're mixing, I don't think you really need it to get the mix to sound finished. In fact, you don't even need to compress the master bus to get there (just ask Bruce Swedien), although a lot of us like the sound of a compressor hitting the mix a tiny bit.
Well, I'm mixing my own stuff, and the demos I make aren't worth spending money on to get them mastered professionally. But I do want them to sound more or less finished. And like I said earlier, I am not looking for an analog multiband compressor. I am looking for something that will give me similar results to the CD2 preset on Yamaha Final Master plug. I'm thinking that would be an analog EQ followed by an analog compressor - like Massive Passive and Vari-Mu - and I want to see if that's how people get that sound. Or perhaps there's something else.
Old 3rd April 2008
Drawmer also has one in production.
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Maniac

yes the Drawmer s3 and also the Maselec - MLA-3
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete murray View Post
yes the Drawmer s3 and also the Maselec - MLA-3
The Maselec looks cool. Expensive though. Ouch! And 7 grand for a Drawmer? Wow. Anybody used either one of these?
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Maniac

does the tube-tech lack puch ?

Will it sound dull compared to an api 2500?

Thanks
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzzy View Post
Well, I'm mixing my own stuff, and the demos I make aren't worth spending money on to get them mastered professionally. But I do want them to sound more or less finished. And like I said earlier, I am not looking for an analog multiband compressor. I am looking for something that will give me similar results to the CD2 preset on Yamaha Final Master plug. I'm thinking that would be an analog EQ followed by an analog compressor - like Massive Passive and Vari-Mu - and I want to see if that's how people get that sound. Or perhaps there's something else.
I understand. I'm just saying that you don't need compression, especially multiband compression per se to get it, although compression definitely can help.

I think that an analog compressor like a Vari-Mu on the master bus might definitely help you get there, or you may prefer something crunchier like a Smart C2 or something.

Basically all I'm recommending is that if you have the time, try to get your mixes to sound finished to you without relying on a piece of gear or a certain plugin to get there, besides brickwall limiting it for level if the clients demand that. I bet you might surprise yourself about what you can do!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search