The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C-12???? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Maniac

AKG C-12????

Hi folks!
I got an offer to buy a AKG C-12 with the AKG C-12VR psu insted of the original psu
and remote pattern selector.
He sent me these pictures, what do you think?

Regards
Magnus
Attached Thumbnails
AKG C-12????-3.jpg   AKG C-12????-5.jpg   AKG C-12????-6.jpg   AKG C-12????-7.jpg  
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

capsule looks pretty aged, make sure it sounds right. restauration of ck12 capsules is difficult, if I remember correctly Klaus Heyne said once it is almost impossible to do it right without changing the original sound.

the powersupply should not be a big issue. I doubt it´s gonna sound different from the old one, but you can still shop around for an old one and/or there are numerous places out there that build powersupplies for c12 mics. like saturn sound VP type, cross reference

for example.

question is, how much does he want for the set? If it´s cheap then don´t buy it (hey it´s got a dirty capsule and the wrong powersupply!) and give me the contact of the seller!

Rock on!
Pat
Old 2nd April 2008
Pastor Obviedo
I hope it's not this one...

A 49 years old microphone, bid starting at $12,345.00usd!!

This is INSANE!!

AKG C12 tube mic ( CMV 563, U47, U 47, C 12 ) - eBay (item 170206397392 end time Apr-06-08 13:34:25 PDT)

Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks Pat.
Too bad it´s too far away for me to try out.
And no, it´s not located in Bratislava Slovakia.

Regards
/Magnus
Old 2nd April 2008
Dan
Lives for gear

check out

http://www.wunderaudio.com/CM12comparison.html

It's got good pics of an all original C12 next to the Wunder. Looking at the original makes me think a fair amount of the guts have been replaced on the one you're looking at.
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Addict

get the telefunken M-12. it's close. the wunder is also good.
that's too much for a c-12.
Old 3rd April 2008
mas
Gear Nut

Hi Magnus,

that very set was on ebay some time ago, and of course I saved all the pictures from the auction for reference. Too bad, I didn´t make a note who the seller was.
Anyway, here are some futher pics of the set from that auction.
What struck me, was that the housing tube has one of the original "Made in Austria" water decals on it. So that would mean that the finish is in stunning original condition. However, it seems that the housing is the only thing that´s original (and historically correct) on this mic. Capsule is from the 414EB era - the last generation of the original CK12, made about 10years after this C12.

Best regards,
Attached Thumbnails
AKG C-12????-b52d_3.jpg   AKG C-12????-b372_3.jpg   AKG C-12????-c013_3.jpg   AKG C-12????-c380_3.jpg   AKG C-12????-cb70_3.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas View Post
Hi Magnus,

that very set was on ebay some time ago, and of course I saved all the pictures from the auction for reference. Too bad, I didn´t make a note who the seller was.
Anyway, here are some futher pics of the set from that auction.
What struck me, was that the housing tube has one of the original "Made in Austria" water decals on it. So that would mean that the finish is in stunning original condition. However, it seems that the housing is the only thing that´s original (and historically correct) on this mic. Capsule is from the 414EB era - the last generation of the original CK12, made about 10years after this C12.

Best regards,
Thank you very much for this information!!
And thank you all.
I wasn´t expecting it to be original at the price he asked for it.
Now I know for sure with your help.
I also got very good info over at Klaus Heyne´s mic lab:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/22588/0/

Kind regards
Magnus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search