The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176 vocal question
Old 23rd June 2002
Gear Head

1176 vocal question

So emberassingly enough I have never used an 1176 on vocals mostly due to that i have always had a bunch of greta compressors around and just never tried. I have used it as a vocal distortion without the compressor on a million times and may be my favorite vocal distortion from a hi end piece. SO none the less What attack/release setting are you guys doing commonly. I wanna find a starting place to figure out what I am doing I was experimenting for a while on a poorly tracked vocal and I really wasnt feeling it but I think these days almost any time i do a vocal without a distressor in opto i am not happy. Soooo any ideas?????
Old 24th June 2002
member no 666

Try:

Input: 11 0'clock
Output: 2 O'clock
Ratio: 4:1
Attack: 2 O'clock
Release: 3 O'clock

That's kind of a usual 'starting point' for those things... tweeze as the need arrises.
Old 25th June 2002
Gear Maniac

*wondering how fletcher got my mem no.*

i might get in trouble 4 this but 1176's are quite boring ..
i think thats why they are so popular ...quietly efficient..

if u press 2 of the speed buttons down at the same time that speeds things along a bit *cough cough*

Old 25th June 2002
Its been a while since I've said it but... Yarzzzzzzzz!

Old 25th June 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

FWIW distressors are definitely not a first choice for vocals in my world...way behind LA3As/LA2As, 1176s, CL1Bs, etc.

The thing that is nice about the 1176 is that they are really easy to use:

1. Set level of GR with the input knob.

2. Set output level with the output knob.

3. Counter-clockwise on the attack knob lets more vocal transients (= more highs) through. Too much sibilance...turn the attack clockwise.

4. Set release to taste/tempo/vibe, usually between 2 and 6 pm for me.

5. Ratio: I tend to use either 4:1 or all buttons in (the latter not usually for vocals though).

Jon
Old 25th June 2002
Lives for gear

I like a combination . . . . sometimes I will track vox with 1176, just hitting it a little for peaks. Then use LA 2A on mix or vice versa. Or I will use a CL1B then 1176. Or chain 1176 and LA2A on mix. I don't compress much to tape. There is something about the 1176 at some point in the chain (on rock tracks) that I like on vocals.
Old 25th June 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Hi Knox,

Yes, that's true for me as well.
Old 25th June 2002
member no 666

Jon, "all 4 buttons in" is the same as the top [20:1] and the bottom [4:1] buttons being pushed... you can get other equally cool [but different] effects with the two middle buttons pushed, the first and third, second and forth, etc.... yes, there are variations on the theme of things the unit was never intended to perform...
Old 25th June 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Thanks, Fletcher, I didn't realize that...I always just jammed in all four for that particular effect.
Old 25th June 2002
On record, sometime the 1176 & something else fast works well, like a DBX 160 or SSL/Smart ..swap the order they are patched to taste, the fast one is to catch the really loud parts, and then it's business as usual for the 1176 in its gentle 'invisible' role.

Old 25th June 2002
Gear Maniac

1176 vocal question

Try this variation for vocalists with very poor mic technique (i.e. r-e-a-l-l-y dynamic).

Attack @ 9 o'clock (slow)
release @ 5 o'clock(fastest release)
@ 8:1 .

Hit it hard (at least 7db of G.R.)

-------------------
Also: a good sweet spot on the attck & release settings is at '5' (2 o'clock)...great for bass.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

Great advice!

Yeah, 7 year old thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
The thing that is nice about the 1176 is that they are really easy to use:

1. Set level of GR with the input knob.

2. Set output level with the output knob.

3. Counter-clockwise on the attack knob lets more vocal transients (= more highs) through. Too much sibilance...turn the attack clockwise.

4. Set release to taste/tempo/vibe, usually between 2 and 6 pm for me.

5. Ratio: I tend to use either 4:1 or all buttons in (the latter not usually for vocals though).

Jon
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear