The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C414 EB output level
Old 1st April 2008
Gear Addict

AKG C414 EB output level

Hi all,

Today I received a silver AKG C414 EB that I bought. It has the original CK12 capsule. When doing a simple comparison to my 414 B-ULS I noticed that the EB's output was WAY lower than the B-ULS. Perhaps this is normal and I am just paranoid about having bought flawed old mic, but perhaps it is indeed an indication that the mic needs looking at by a professional technician. When I turn the gain up on the mic pre, it seems to sound fine...with me speaking into it anyway. I haven't tried it out in a session yet. If anybody has experience with these enough to chime in here about wether the lower output raises any red flags, I would be grateful.

Thanks
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Addict

Nobody is responding which leads me to think that this must be in the wrong forum. Moderator, could you move this to "So much gear, so little time"? Thanks!
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

I have a 414 EB with the same capsule. It has a lower output than almost every other mic I own, except for some other old mics. Yours sound normal to me.

A better test for you is to put it in figure 8 and speak in to each side of the capsule. If both sides sound close to each other you're probably OK.
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Does it say "P48" on it near the XLR plug? If so, it needs a relatively robust phantom power supply and it will have a lower output on, say, an MBOX etc. As far as I know, if that's the situation, raise up your input gain and it will otherwise sound the same.
Old 4th April 2008
mas
Gear Nut

As far as I recall the sensitivity spec of the 414EB is 6mV/Pa, whereas the B-ULS has 12,5mV/Pa.
That means that your nickel 414EB should have about 6dB less output than the 414B-ULS.

regards,
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search