The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dented U87
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

dented U87

ok so.
I bought a U87ai as my first high end vocal mic.
kinda annoyed about it now... i would have been better
off with a E47 or something but i didn't know better at the time.
Now here's the annoying thing... while i was living with my roomates
in arizona, and going to audio school, it got dented. The grill is dented a tiny bit.
aside from that this thing is mint. But i'd imagine this drastically affects the resell
value. This really gets me because i'd love to off this thing and get something tube.
I prefer 414's to it for acoustics and beyer m160 for drums room
and i'd like something else for vocals.
I've been using the microphone and it seems perfectly fine. i used it to record the track that i'll post here. It's on outside kick and vocals. It's also on acoustic. I've thought of sending it to klaus or innertube and getting it modded... but i'm not crazy about the idea of putting more money into this thing. I feel like sennheiser will charge me alot to look at it.
Any ideas?
Attached Files

OPEN WIDE BOUNCE 50.mp3 (4.08 MB, 520 views)

Old 30th March 2008
Gear Guru

Pity you are not in the UK as Martin Gathard at Sennheiser UK is the absolute master at getting dents out of Neumann microphones.
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

I once dented an 87 tat was not mine but it was the body not the grill.You may be able to replce just that thru sennheiser. E-mail or call them to find out.Good Lick!

DAn P
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

ok i sent sennheiser an email.
we'll see what they say.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

any opinions on whether i should mod, or just sell the thing and get another mic altogether?
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

is it an option to keep it and buy another? as much as you may not like the 87, i think in the long run you will find alot of great uses for it.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Buy the Innertube tube mod. User swappable. No permanent modification needed.

You're welcome.

Dents in the grille make mics sound better.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

It was either Tim or Carl. Tim gets my vote. heh I'd keep it, and add to the arsenal.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

haha it was totally Tim!
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Addict

i have gotten dents out of my shure 58 grills and a mxl large condenser by massaging and pushing it with the back rounded end of a drum stick. the dents usually come right out. i dont know anything about the 87 though. there may be several layers of mesh or other issues that this may not work though.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Sell it. It's not like they're hen's teeth. You can always get another if you need to. Who cares if everyone uses them? Maybe a whole new, unique aspect of your sound is waiting for you to figure out recording without the same mics as everyone else?

They did a segment on a house show the other day about a couple who took their house down to the foundation and re-did the whole thing. They were trying to sell it a few years later and were going to lose a lot of money. The real estate agent said (very astutely in my opinion): if you didn't like it that much, why didn't you just move?

They ended up living through the remodel, paying for it all and then moving anyway because they didn't like it.

If you don't like it to start with, you won't magically love it after putting $500 or $1500 into it. Modding (and remodeling) is for folks who already really like something and want to make it even better. Not folks who don't like it and are resistant to move on.

And by the way, you'll likely pay more for a new grill than you'll lose selling with a small dent, unless you can find one cheap used or they're really inexpensive. I was looking into a new body for my U87 and it was $300 or something.

Which reminds me, I should probably sell mine.
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Is it really an 87 if it *isn't* dented?
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

thanks guys.
I actually got an offer to have it fixed for cost of shipping
may just take it up
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Dents in the grille make mics sound better.
Dents are how you tell one from the other. Dents help identify which mic exactly you have in your hand. heh

Ps - the Innertube mod is supposed to be PHENOMENAL. Changes the 87 into something completely different. Why don't you see if you can rent on and drop in in the mic and see if you like it. My guess is you will. You NEVER see those for sale.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search