The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the pacifica destroys Condenser Microphones
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Nut

the pacifica destroys

Just got one to replace my shadow hills mono gama's so I could get some Avedis E27 eq's in my lunchbox. Holy ****e, the pacifica absolutely destroys the mono gama's in this application for the band I'm working with... I don't have any samples to post unfortunately but I just had to tell somebody This says a lot because it didn't sound bad by any means before as the mono gama isn't exactly a slouch. I didn't think there would be much a difference just by swapping out the preamps. Pleasant surprise...
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Guru

I use the P-1 for Bass, sounds great with pad in, pushed.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear
Did your mono gama have the iron option? I'm wondering how that compared to the pacifica? Anyone know?
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatvoice View Post
Did your mono gama have the iron option? I'm wondering how that compared to the pacifica? Anyone know?
No they don't have the iron option. Only steel, nickel and discrete.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetone View Post
Just got one to replace my shadow hills mono gama's so I could get some Avedis E27 eq's in my lunchbox. Holy ****e, the pacifica absolutely destroys the mono gama's in this application for the band I'm working with... I don't have any samples to post unfortunately but I just had to tell somebody This says a lot because it didn't sound bad by any means before as the mono gama isn't exactly a slouch. I didn't think there would be much a difference just by swapping out the preamps. Pleasant surprise...
Me too I replaced an Avalon 2022, and wow. Just wow.
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Maniac

I've preferred the Pacifica to the neve 1073 at times.
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Maniac

this thread really sucks!...

market opens at 6:30 PST and I will trade like the wind
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone delux View Post
Me to. I just dig the Pacifica flavor. I have actually preferred the Pacifica over vintage 1073s most of the time, but not always. Despite just digging its sound, the one thing I really like about the Pacifica is that even when it looses shoot outs for a particular source it is never a distant second place. It has never been blown away in a shoot out, so when I am making records really fast I can trust that if I just reach for a pacifica that it will never be a bad choice.
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Addict

The Pacifica gets bomb guitar tone for sure. i did the ole musical chairs and sold my first one and then hastily replaced when couldn't recapture the sound it provided.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

yup, big P-1 fan here. There's a kind of "grip" to it that I love.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear
They sound good, but they're a little hyped on the top end...and don't even say they're not...

To say you'd use one on vocals before a 1073 is just, just...different...
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Addict

You could certainly make a whole record with the Pacifica.

Sounds great on almost anything you hit - drums, percussion etc.

Bass straight in with the pad is sumptuous. Pad in with a Reddi in meltdown is rock 'n' roll.
Overdrive guitars are wonderful with 121's and i5's in combination and I've never heard a 414 sound better than through my Pacifica.
Vocals. Depends very much on the singer but for rock stuff the Pacifica does lends a forward more solid upper mid to a great mic and singer. Pearlman's TM-1 (47 cap') is made for the Pacifica and this combination has only been beaten out once in the last 6 months on rock vox - and that was an SM7-B through the Pacifica!

We've even been using it from the mic pre out of the SPL Transducer to get some Pacifica weight on di'd guitar amps and it really slams in this situation.

Nice bit O' kit.

<GM>
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
They sound good, but they're a little hyped on the top end...and don't even say they're not...

The funny thing is that when I have chosen a 1073 over a Pacifica on vocals is that I like the little bit of extra hype on the top of the 1073
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Excuse the question if its stupid but Im a bit lunchbox curious and am contemplating getting API's 10 space. I am planning on 4 x 512c, 2x 550B, 2 x P1 (A designs) and a grace. My question: Is the P1 a pacifica in 500 rack or is it a different pre?
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My question: Is the P1 a pacifica in 500 rack or is it a different pre?
It is a very similar pre, but by virtue of smaller power supply and transformers, it has a slightly different sound. The Pacifica sounds a little bigger and there is a bigger difference in sound when you engage the pad switch. Its close enough to say that if you like one, you will like the other.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

So its safe to asume that its still a pacifica with a slightly different sound, but THAT signature...?
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

So what about the grace? Same idea? Would I be better off just getting the API rack for the API gear that I need, and then just get the 1u versions of the others? The space saving factor is nice with an API....
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Excuse the question if its stupid but Im a bit lunchbox curious and am contemplating getting API's 10 space. I am planning on 4 x 512c, 2x 550B, 2 x P1 (A designs) and a grace. My question: Is the P1 a pacifica in 500 rack or is it a different pre?
You're gonna love those P-1's I might skip the 550b's though. Just my 2 cents...
Old 25th March 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Me to. I just dig the Pacifica flavor. I have actually preferred the Pacifica over vintage 1073s most of the time, but not always. Despite just digging its sound, the one thing I really like about the Pacifica is that even when it looses shoot outs for a particular source it is never a distant second place. It has never been blown away in a shoot out, so when I am making records really fast I can trust that if I just reach for a pacifica that it will never be a bad choice.
Me to. I just dig the Pacifica flavor ( the P-1s )

again
Quote:
if I just reach for a pacifica that it will never be a bad choice.
Old 25th March 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:

hmmmm, i don't get it?
have you tried one?
i love it on vocals!
and often i like it on vocal with one of my BLUE or RED mics.
love it with the RED type B and the R-0 capsule kills!
nice air on top!

Quote:
what RCM said.
i went with the P-1's and love-em
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Nut

P1 have character.

They push the envelope of the recorded material.

They got something from the old, hidden, legendary, myth-making circuit stock from where the magic elves live.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So its safe to asume that its still a pacifica with a slightly different sound, but THAT signature...?
Yes. When I A-B the two I can definitely hear a difference (and personally prefer the Pacifica), but truth be told if I left the studio then came back the next day and you played one of the choices with out telling me what it was, I would probably have trouble guessing without hearing them side by side.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechstudio View Post
You're gonna love those P-1's I might skip the 550b's though. Just my 2 cents...

Whys that? I want the Avalon 2055 and 2 API's. If not that, then I dont have any reason to get the API rack.
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
The funny thing is that when I have chosen a 1073 over a Pacifica on vocals is that I like the little bit of extra hype on the top of the 1073
To me, the 1073 has a much bigger bottom...it might be a little more hyped in the high mids, but I would say the PAcifica has more 10k+...
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
hmmmm, i don't get it?
have you tried one?
i love it on vocals!
and often i like it on vocal with one of my BLUE or RED mics.
love it with the RED type B and the R-0 capsule kills!
nice air on top!

what RCM said.
i went with the P-1's and love-em
Yep - I've owned one three separate times...I'm not slagging them, they are really good pres...I happen to like the 1073 better on vocals though...
Old 26th March 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Yep - I've owned one three separate times...I'm not slagging them, they are really good pres...I happen to like the 1073 better on vocals though...
as has been said by so many before, these are all, great pres!

heh
Old 26th March 2008
Gear Nut

I haven't even tried the pacifica on vocals, I usually start with the mercury M72s, and then my Chandler LTD-1... I'll have to give it a shot next time
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

I too have chosen the Pacifica over the 1073 on occasion.

Ya know the Pacifica happens to be a great match with the Sony C800G.
Old 27th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
I too have chosen the Pacifica over the 1073 on occasion.

Ya know the Pacifica happens to be a great match with the Sony C800G.
Sweet.
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

I have a pacifica and i was wondering what you guys are using it on? mostly vocal? Its a nice pre but I'm just not wowed...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search