The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shameless A Designs EQ Rave Modular Synthesizers
Old 23rd March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
Hey Michael,

You gotten to use your HM2 this yet this last weekend? I couldn't believe it when you said you had to wait! I was glad to hear you did end up getting it though

-SD
Not yet......

I am going through a major rewire on my rig, my patchbays are a getting a rework to reflect my work methods and that has taken longer than I planned.

I have had the Hammer for a week and have not even listened to it yet, it's killing me. Of course I have had my UA2192 for 5 months now and haven't even turned it on once (it's part of the patchbay rewire).

Anyway, I hope to have everything done early this week. I will let you'all know what I think, pretty geeked up about it all in all.
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Not yet......

I am going through a major rewire on my rig, my patchbays are a getting a rework to reflect my work methods and that has taken longer than I planned.

I know what you mean! I just rewired my patchbays and installed a coulple of new ones. It's always time consuming, and the studio looks like a bomb went off. Hope it goes well for you. You ought to go ahead and flip the switch, and start the Hm2 warming up anyway heh

-SD
Old 24th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
..... The Hammer's real strength is boosting high and mids and it can do stunning things in that department, the low boost is cool, but is not as dramatic as you would expect from an API or an EM-PEQ. .....
+1

John
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

The Hammer is next on my list. A-Designs never fails to impress.
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

A funny thing has been happening over the last few weeks. I am really starting to warm up to the low end on the Hammer. I am starting to realize that in its own right, its really beautiful. I usually like more aggressive low end, like you would get out of an API or a Pultec style, so the Hammer EQ low end was not my cup of tea to start (I have been fanatical about the mids and I from the first second). But now I am really starting to see the value of the smoothness of the low end. I am starting to love the sound of getting my aggressive low end on my bass and kick on the individual channels and then adding a bit of the smoothness on the two buss from the Hammer. It really creates a bigness on the low end that I have never heard before. The low end boost on the Hammer is a little more reggae than rock, but I am just starting to realize how cool it sounds adding the sound to rock records.
Old 24th March 2008
500 series nutjob

i love the bottom on the HAMMER, not really in your face, or aggressive, but very solid.
it is a clean bass that will sneak in on you, and like the hi's easy to over do.
Old 24th March 2008
Gear Addict

The Hammer:

I've had my Hammer now for quite some time and I've observed the following.

On the mix bus there's nothing quite like it. I don't normally mix with any EQ on the master but I tried it just out of interest on a mix I was doing for a client one day. We were wrapping up a mix of a rock (slammin') song which was going to mastering the next day. I had the Hammer out of the loop as I'd been using it for tracking bass the day before. I told the client I just wanted to try something - for kicks - and hooked it up. I gently pushed 50 a db, pulled 500 a db and wound on about 2db of 10K all while listening carefully to the centers and character of the cut/boost. We thought we liked what we heard so I clicked the bypass on Nuendo's insert and then back in. The difference was instant and quite marked. The lower end had a firmer hand than before, not just a boost but literally firmer. The mids were clearer and more articulate and the high end was reaching without being glassy or harsh. I pushed the Hammer into the CL1-B with about 2-3db of GR for a very happy client!
We ended up using the Hammer on all the rock tracks (re printed) on the project and the mastering guy was on the phone the day he got the mixes asking what I'd changed recently to get the additional sheen and depth over the previous project. I think he's going to buy one himself!

I've also used the Hammer to track bass and mix guitars. On bass it is wonderful as I can scrape and shape it into the front end of the MC77 for a much more defined and aggressive rock sound or mix guitars (as Ronan said) with some 5k added combined with the high cut for a very smooth but slammin' sound.

That 5k also lends itself nicely to a snare that needs a little help to cut and the mids are great for gently shaping vocals.

Also, another little thing I've found with it is to low pass a guitar bus using the Hammer's High Cut switch and then boost the same group with some 10k - wicked guitars!!

You're not going to master with it but as a tracking and mix bus EQ (providing your mix is already "there") it really is a great machine.

My only real issue is I only have one and the project I'm currently mixing is a little lacking in tracking magic so another one or two would be nice on groups as well.

Maybe the Easter Bunny with bring another one!?!

<GM>
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

I've recently bought a HAMMER and I'm absolutely loving it. I knew on the first day that I was never going to give it back. It adds magic. It's never strident, very very smooth, but not at all clinical. I've been using it on everything from mix bus to heavy guitars, acoustics, bass, vocals. Everything. There are a lot of comments on here about the low end 'blooming' so to speak. That's a good way to put it. It's makes things big and round. It 'slows down' the bass end a bit. Dont think however that it's a total softie because it can bring out the aggression already present in a source. I used in on these guitars:

http://www.jackruston.pwp.blueyonder...icsAllMics.wav and it really helped to bring some charachter out of the sound.

I've also got the EMPEQ on demo at the moment. And that's like the Yang to the Hammer's Yin. It's very punchy and tight, but not 'hard' like say SSL or GML. It's still vibey but it has the ability to add this sort of tight bass that you can push to silly levels and the top end makes for amazing attack on drums and guitars etc. It's awesome in such a small package.

Add to that the fact that Peter Montessi seems to have endless time for his clients and takes a genuine interest in what they need, and you have a product that you want to buy from a person you want to buy it from. Which is nice.

Jack
Old 25th March 2008
Boy you guys make me really wish I had a recording studio right about now....

*sigh*

Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

I just finished a song last week for a friend.
On her vocals I used a C12VR into the Pacifica to the Hammer to the Tube Tech CL-1B.

I mixed the song completely ITB (reverbs, delays, compressors i.e.,) then ran it through the Hammer and RTD back into Pro Tools.

While running the mix through the Hammer, I added about .5dB at 15k.

The wav file is posted below.
http://www.tonysound.com/mixes/Im_Sure_Hammer.wav
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsqd View Post
The Hammer:

You're not going to master with it but as a tracking and mix bus EQ (providing your mix is already "there") it really is a great machine.

<GM>
Actually.........I use it as such. It goes after my Sontec/Pendulum OCL-2 in my mastering chain. Recall certainly is luck of the draw with such small moves making big changes (hoping for switches or detented pots sometime), but it sounds incredible in that application. I use it for midrange boosts/magic. I think if MEs heard it, it would start to be used in mastering more often.

Oh, and sometimes the low end is just what the doctor ordered when you want something that needs rounding/de-digitizing.
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Actually.........I use it as such. It goes after my Sontec/Pendulum OCL-2 in my mastering chain. Recall certainly is luck of the draw with such small moves making big changes (hoping for switches or detented pots sometime), but it sounds incredible in that application. I use it for midrange boosts/magic. I think if MEs heard it, it would start to be used in mastering more often.

Oh, and sometimes the low end is just what the doctor ordered when you want something that needs rounding/de-digitizing.
Good for you!

I wasn't "insisting" you couldn't or wouldn't!

As I said, the ME that mastered the mixes I was describing was very interested in the Hammer.

Maybe it'll catch on but it would almost certainly need detented pots and a channel link switch to really get the ME's in there.

<GM>
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe it'll catch on but it would almost certainly need detented pots and a channel link switch to really get the ME's in there.
Actually just the detents would probably do it. Most mastering guys I know are using lots of dual mono gear.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

I'm using the Hammer for mastering. I'm not done buying eqs though. So bring on the detents

-SD
Old 25th March 2008
500 series nutjob

i think it, would have to be some great ladder switches, for mastering that is, detent pot just don't do it for me.
that would add a lot to the cost, i would think, but well worth for a master addition maybe?

and a coffee cup!
Old 25th March 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I just finished a song last week for a friend.
On her vocals I used a C12VR into the Pacifica to the Hammer to the Tube Tech CL-1B.

I mixed the song completely ITB (reverbs, delays, compressors i.e.,) then ran it through the Hammer and RTD back into Pro Tools.

While running the mix through the Hammer, I added about .5dB at 15k.

The wav file is posted below.
http://www.tonysound.com/mixes/Im_Sure_Hammer.wav
nice Tony: )~
heh
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Actually just the detents would probably do it. Most mastering guys I know are using lots of dual mono gear.
That may well be and I'm sure your mastering guys may not care but in the vast majority of situations I've been in the facility of linking channels is much attractive to 2 channel work than not. If it's there people will use it which means it's a good selling point.

Pan60. Ladder switches it is then. Drop the A-Designs guys a note and see if they want to build a mastering edition.

<GM>
Old 25th March 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
That may well be and I'm sure your mastering guys may not care but in the vast majority of situations I've been in the facility of linking channels is much attractive to 2 channel work than not. If it's there people will use it which means it's a good selling point.

Pan60. Ladder switches it is then. Drop the A-Designs guys a note and see if they want to build a mastering edition.

<GM>
i told Peter when i first got mine, they should at the very least do a limited edition run, with ladder switches, just for a mastering.
i hope they do!

heh
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Dentents are certainly quick and give you peace of mind to you're workflow. But compensating for L/R variance is commonplace... it's not that big of a deal IMO. I just use metering to verify what I'm doing.

-SD
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

my hammer finally arrived today!
i think it's all said here already.
so the only thing i could add:
i am very happy with it! ;-)
it's a fantastic eq that works great together with my api 5500.
Old 27th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Well , Ive had a Hammer now for about 2 months and what people are saying is spot on. Its really got an addictive quality to the high end thats hard to describe.
The problem is its VERY easy to overuse , and just put it on everything. I learned the hard way also the first few weeks I had it. You almost have to force yourself to not overuse it because things keep sounding better the more you boost ! Its just so smooth and rich yet shimmery and exciting all at once !
there's nothing Ive ever heard like it !
the next few things on my wish list are all A designs products , Im hooked !
Old 28th March 2008
hi Hammer slutz.

I want one. I'm very happy with my Pacifica and I need a great outboard EQ... but.... I've also been ooogling the Avedis. I've heard great things about both.

do you guys have any thoughts on the difference between the Avedis and the Hammer (assuming I'm talking about a pair of the Avedis)?

thanks
Old 28th March 2008
Gear Head

i demo'ed both and i thought the Hammer, of the two, was both warmer - overall - and had a better top end...which i still feel is one of its strongest points.
Old 28th March 2008
Gear Head

i have lots of different engineers thru my place day to day, and there is a real wow factor on the hammer eq...i used it on several 2bus mixes, and then substituted McDSP and other PI's to see about mimic-ing it...pretty impossible, actually...it makes you take a hard look at your ideas about EQ in the box...unfortunately
Old 31st March 2008
can the Hammer do "the API thing" in terms of mojo or is it a different beast all together?
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad of Reds View Post
can the Hammer do "the API thing" in terms of mojo or is it a different beast all together?
Different Beast all together. API can not pull off the big open top thing the Hammer does, and the Hammer can not pull off the muscular, punchy low end of an API.
Old 1st April 2008
guess I'll need both then.
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad of Reds View Post
guess I'll need both then.
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post

I'm just going to say this again. I'm mastering something right now, and a few times the low knob on the Hammer has changed the mix from "eh" to "aaaaaaaahh", with a .5 added. I swear it even smoothens out the high end. It is now an indispensable knob just like the other 2 gain pots are.
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Maniac
I have been using the Hammer while mixing this very picky acoustic artist, with a great voice, & lovely sounding Breedlove guitar. I took it off the stereo mix to let him hear the difference, & he insisted we use it on every mix.This EQ takes what was an already great sound & ads a beautiful organic sheen.
Thanks Peter!

Lance

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search