The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Desert Island Mic Pres
Old 18th March 2008
Gear Head

I've noticed something interesting. The Shadow Hill GAMA is ostensibly created to provide different flavors and options in one premier quality preamp. However, no one is listing this as their "desert island" pre. People speak very highly of them and I have no reason to slag them, but I am surprised that a flexible preamp that is highly thought of is getting no mention in this conversation? Any thoughts?
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxJordan View Post
Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain. If I'm trapped on a desert island, I'm probably not going to be doing any recording, I'm going to need a blunt object to smash coconuts and attack wild beasts.
AWESOME remark. I've been saying for years the best sounding piece of Behringer gear is their patch bay
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgood View Post
I've noticed something interesting. The Shadow Hill GAMA is ostensibly created to provide different flavors and options in one premier quality preamp. However, no one is listing this as their "desert island" pre. People speak very highly of them and I have no reason to slag them, but I am surprised that a flexible preamp that is highly thought of is getting no mention in this conversation? Any thoughts?
Yeah I have a few thoughts on that. First of all, this thread is only on page 2, so only a handful of people have weighed in thus far.

Secondly, a lot more people have used preamps such as Neve and Api than they have Shadow Hills. Shadow Hills has only been around for a few years.

Third, maybe it tells us that the inherent sound of a mic pre is more important than it's "options". I think this is probably true of eq's, compressors and converters too. If it sounds amazing you can live without the extras.

That transformer switching is a cool feature though. thumbsup
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

See below
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Pacifica.
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I think I'd use an Ashly for that. More heavy duty.... it would also sound better!
Nope, I'd stick with the Berhinger, much easier to start a fire with ...

stike
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Shadow Hills
API
Avalon 747
Old 22nd March 2008
Gear Maniac

Why not just get something from Desert Island Audio?
Old 22nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Desert island rig? Mac Book Pro. Apogee Duet. Brauner Valvet.

And a diesel 220 V unit. With 7800 L of die....
Old 22nd March 2008
Gear Addict

THE "PACIFICA" with the life raft mod....
Old 22nd March 2008
Gear Maniac

shadow hills
lachapell
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain. If I'm trapped on a desert island, I'm probably not going to be doing any recording, I'm going to need a blunt object to smash coconuts and attack wild beasts.
Funny comment, you just made my day sir!
I have Api, Daking, Neve Portico and Purple Audio The Biz (2).
I'd chose The Biz for my desert Island mic preamps.
Old 25th March 2008
Neve

1064 \ 1066 \ 1073 (same pre) , can't live without it
Old 25th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
dammit, he beat me to it...
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Neve 1081, Shep SN-8, Neve 1057, Pendulum MDP-1, or API 312. I'm easy, any of those would do.
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
Just Curious.
What are the "desert island" mic pres for all of you gearslutz members?

API Lunch Box?
API 4 Channel?
Neve 1073/1081?
A Designs Pacifica?
TElefunken V76?
One with enough gain. If this is a one-stage system balanced +4 straight to tape then you'll need something with at least 50-60db. v72's and Quad Eights put out around 34-38, and won't get you there without push from a mixer.

If you're recording to digital, I imagine a poll would say 1073 or API, though I've never used them.
Old 26th March 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykane View Post
AWESOME remark. I've been saying for years the best sounding piece of Behringer gear is their patch bay
id have to disagree and say their midi controllers. they color the sound the least.
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

This one's easy. Bellari MP105. Switch out the stock tube for a NOS Tele and your in business.

Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfender View Post
Little Labs LMNOpre.

The more I use it, the more I realize I couldn't manage without it.
Seconded.

I liked it so much that instead of buying 2 channels of Hardy or GR (both of which I like), I went with a second LMNOPre.

I just can't get enough of it... as the dust on my other pres will tell you heh
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

For me an API or an Neve 1073 or 1084 would do it. But i think i would do other things on the island also...
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

too easy. a great river. i'd never ever want just an api as lots of material i don't want so forward and punchy. the gr has much more flexibilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
Why not just get something from Desert Island Audio?
cool! looks to be great prices too. i'd love to hear some feedback and samples of work with these ued.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search