The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How versatile is the Chandler Tg1 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

How versatile is the Chandler Tg1

I'm interested in how it fares on non-percussion instruments like bass, vocals, electric and acoustic guitars and piano I've heard its more of a one trick pony. Hopefully some users can chime in
Old 15th March 2008
Here for the gear

Honestly, man...

She's a tough beast to tame. We have one at my studio (Rax Trax Recording Chicago) and it's stupid cool on rooms. It has a little bit of a learning curve, but in limit, anything you throw into it it'll shove right back. I imagine it'd be good for things like bass to give it some serious punch, but a common question around here is:

"Has anyone found any other use for the TG-1 other than ----ing s--t up?"
Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

hm, i have to admit i didn´t try it much for anything then rooms, drums, effects... i did try it on vocals and bass once or twice but found i had better fitting tools in my arsenal. if you´re looking at the tg-1 as your first or only comp, i´d say no. but no other comp can do, what it does!
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

I've used the TG1 in just about every possible application. I like it on everything. Vocals, acoustics, drums, bass blah blah blah.

I don't think that because something has a personality makes it "dangerous" or a "one trick pony", weird ideas around here man.

If you like the sound of it use it on everything you want to compress.
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

I think they're really cool on vocals.
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I've used the TG1 in just about every possible application. I like it on everything. Vocals, acoustics, drums, bass blah blah blah.

I don't think that because something has a personality makes it "dangerous" or a "one trick pony", weird ideas around here man.

If you like the sound of it use it on everything you want to compress.
I agree. I use it on vox, drums, acoustic, electric, piano. IMO, no comp/limiter can touch it for piano and drums.
Old 16th March 2008
It's not the most versatile comp, but it does a nice job in most places, and great in some. But that's only half the story, the tone of the TG-1 is what makes it really special. It's insanely rich sounding, I can't live without it on two bus for mastering. And it's used for tracking and mix duties quite a bit too.
Old 16th March 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
I don't think it's a one trick pony at all. I use it for all sorts of stuff. Drum rooms and overheads of course, piano, vocals, and it's especially terrific on acoustic guitar. I run my stereo miked acoustic through it and it just lets it sit right where it needs to be in the mix. thumbsup
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

Just to add;

I also bought the Zener because I wanted a more "flexable" TG1. Except for the side chain, I find I use the standard TG1 settings more often than not.
Old 16th March 2008
Gear Addict

I love it on vocals and have also used it on just about everything. I find it either works fantastic or not at all. I do find it very hard to use on the mix bus or anything that has a lot of low end energy. It can clamp down on those pretty hard and oftentimes it's not a pretty thing. When it works though there's nothing I love better.
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

it took me a while to figure out the tg1, but once i did, i found myself not being hesitant to use it while tracking. if you want a more subtle effect,the key is in the release. Especially when recording to disk, the tg1 imparts a beauty to string instruments. Can't imagine recording acoustic guitar or piano without it now. As a mix comp, depending on the tone of the track, i often use the tg1 if an 1176 is too aggressive or "pointed" sounding. sometimes both at the same time (either in series or parallel) is the ticket. Like the rest of the chandler line, an incredible tool.
david
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search