The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does your API 525's meter kinda suck? Do you have any user tips?
Old 15th March 2008
Does your API 525's meter kinda suck? Do you have any user tips?

Hi, folks. I've recently come into a very nice, very old pair of API 525s (thanks, Joe!!thumbsup). I've been using em like crazy; they sound fantastic. My only issue is I have a difficult time setting them up as a stereo pair.

While there's a Link switch on their rack, engaging it doesn't seem to help maintain a stable stereo image. The Input and Output knobs seem to be way outta calibration with one-another. The first channel always needs a higher input setting, and lower output setting. The meters don't seem to come even close to accurately displaying the units' respective gain reduction, so I have to do it by ear, basically I keep checking the mix in mono to make sure the stuff panned center stays in the center. Unfortunately, sometimes a big drum fill will pull the stereo image waaay right-heavy. It takes a whole lotta trial-and-error to get the stereo image stable, and it's quite frustrating to keep reworking the settings as I'm mixing an involved tune.

The fella that sold em to me mentioned something about unbalanced input or something, but I'm not really technically-inclined enough to know what that means for me.

Anyone have any experience setting these things up, especially for mix-buss duties?
Anything to hasten things up for me...?

Thanks.
Old 15th March 2008
Gear Addict

same problem here.
i'd be very interested in learning if these old 525 meters make any sense.
if so, my ears don't.

tom

analoghaus :: studio label verlag - home
Old 16th March 2008
OK, so not much interest from folks here regarding the 525's meters.

So how do folks set their Input knobs and their Ceiling knobs?

Do you leave one or the other preset in the same place for everything?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search