The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Lion Microclock vs Big Ben Audio Interfaces
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Nut

Black Lion Microclock vs Big Ben

Has anybody compared these two? The Big ben is considerably more expensive but obviously has more features and Apogee's reputation. Black lion products seem to get good reports as well though..
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Nut

bump. anybody had experience of both these units?
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

It interesting but I guess that ppl that own the apogee dont need the microclock and pll wit a micro clock cant afford an apogee. I guess (maybe wrong dunno) that 2 clocks for the same rig is useless so it will be hard to find someone that bought both for his studio (at least for the same room). We need a "tester".
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

BIG B vs. Microclock somebody????

I wish this wasn't a big secret. Will somebody tell us how the Big Ben compares to the Microclock? Please. Also, BLA just updated the microclock this month. A new improved microclock. I wonder how this compares to the Big Ben?
Old 13th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Also, BLA just updated the microclock this month. A new improved microclock. I wonder how this compares to the Big Ben?
Where'd ya get that info?
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear
I'm a big fan of good clocks. Apogee Big Ben owner here.

I'd be surprised if there was not a difference between the two with the Big Ben coming out on top. However the $600 price for a very simple unit in the BLA is SO appealing --- I'd love to demo one - for free of course!

What are the specs of each unit?
Old 13th October 2008
The BB has too many features to compare it to the BLA Micro clock,

Sound quality wise, I've heard no clock do the same thing as the BB, other than using the AD/DA16x as the master. All of these products will have different effects, there is no "one is better-than the other", and you'll simply have to listen to the resulting audio to make an educated understanding about what is going on.
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Where'd ya get that info?

BLA
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The BB has too many features to compare it to the BLA Micro clock,

Sound quality wise, I've heard no clock do the same thing as the BB, other than using the AD/DA16x as the master. All of these products will have different effects, there is no "one is better-than the other", and you'll simply have to listen to the resulting audio to make an educated understanding about what is going on.

So are we saying the BB is better than the BLA mc for overall sound enhancement? anyone else?
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Adam, with all due respect.. you guys are familiar with the Big Ben..

Why not contact Black Lion and have them send you a unit and run a test at the Meth lab..?
Old 16th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
BLA
Nothing on their website about it...

Anyone from BLA wanna chime in and tell us about this?
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So are we saying the BB is better than the BLA mc for overall sound enhancement? anyone else?
No, he didn't say that...I have a Big Ben myself but don't see myself having any reason to check out a MicroClock either. It's not like a preamp, where people tend to have multiples in their studio, and doing a proper A/B comparison would probably be a bit more involved as well.
Old 16th October 2008
If BLA wants to send us one to try, I surly would evaluate it against the Big Ben. I am simply saying its not a valid comparison because of the features and the difference in technology. I am sure the BLA clock is really good. But The Big Ben has a Digital Clock, is the BLA is a Digital Clock?. I have a client who uses the BLA Micro clock with his PT 003 rig and he says it has improved it quite a bit. I can take his word for it, because, I hear that Clock matters and I don't disbelieve him. As well, I am having a hard time with the fact that the Micro Clock has 3, count them 3 outputs.

The Big Ben has 6 WC outputs [2 of which can generate Super Clock] It can also do varoius flips and ticks with distribution, Vari-speed, and YOU CAN EVEN USE IT AS A DIGITAL MULTI-CHANNEL AES/SPDIF/ADAT INTERFACE WITH AN X-FIRE WIRE CARD!!!!!!!!!! ITS MORE INTELLIGENT THEREFORE ITS PRICE REFLECTS ITS OPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My theory is that its because Digi products are not very good, AND [I dunno about you guys, but it seems pretty evident to me that=] EVERYONE GOES OUTSIDE THE DIGI HARDWARE FOR BETTER RESULTS!!! I think us Mercenary guys are already SICK of being Tech Support agents for Digi-Design, and the fact that I talk to at least 10 people a day who are unhappy with the performance of their PT hardware, says quite a bit about what it actually is. You could make a Clock powered by DIRT and it would improve the Audio of these poor quality boxes.

Bottom line, you've got to listen for yourself.
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Nothing on their website about it...

Anyone from BLA wanna chime in and tell us about this?

You ever tried to call? phone?

Its new, and just been updated. I have the new clock. Its better than the old as far as sound enhancement is concerned. It has two ouputs, one input BNC.
BLA installed a completely new board inside. Awesome customer service and turn around time if you have the old microclock. Personally for me, I don't have tons of digital gear to sync, but I have always been curious how the Big Ben clock compares to the BLA clock in the sound enhancement arena. Same, better, can't find anything on the web about that. Its seems to be a untold story.
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Nut

so did anyone ever make a comparison?
i just bought a Big Ben from Ebay for $460...
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Bump.....anyone? Looking at clocking an AD16 (non x) externally to my BLA premium modded RME UFX vs just getting the AD16x and using the Big Ben clock for one or both. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search