The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avalon 737 vs Amek CIB
Old 16th December 2002
Gear Addict

Not to get too off topic but is anyone using Millennia STT-1?
I like that it is tube and solid state. I've been looking for a good mic pre for a while now. I am still thinking of the CIB although I've heard it is too transparent, I guess that's why they call it "Pure" Path.
Thought this was interesting:
http://www.imusicast.com/html/rupertneve.html
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

One other thing to consider regarding the CIB which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, is that the compressor is fixed post-EQ. I'd hate that, as 90% of the times that I'm using a compressor and an EQ in the same chain, I'd want the EQ following the compressor.

Certainly you could pay a tech to modify this, or to add a switch, but it comes stock with the compressor after the EQ in the signal path.

-dave
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

It was mentioned somewhere that you can order the CIB from Amek with the compressor placed pre-eq instead.
Old 17th December 2002
Bob
Gear Head

Hi RobMackie,

I have an STT1 which I tested against: Avalon 737sp, Amek9098, Focusrite ISA 430, Mindprint DTC, Summit Audio. For me it was love at first hearing. In my opinion this mic pre sits in-between neutral (esp. solid state topology) and somewhat coloured (esp. valve topology). I think it is not suited for the screaming rock vocalist. The valve topology and EQ are ever so sweet, nice firm bottom, soft midrange and smooth top.

Quite a number of comments have already been made about this pre, you should do a search maybe.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
E-cue, I don't own the album yet, but am going to get it, just for researchrollz I think the article stated that there were no comps used in tracking the drums but I think your right about the mix being comped. I'm way out of the big time, the big money and have to buy all this gear myself so I was pretty psyched about this way of working. Hey I would love to have all the toys but this allowed me to get some great pres and mics
I don't know if its for everyone but does allow you focus on the sound of the drums, mic position and pre selection.
I have to work very fast for almost no money but I am one of ----------maybe-- 20 people in the State of maine who get to do music full time so I would do it for free if someone would buy my gearyuktyy Peace
Daniel
The truth about working that way is that it's entirely musician dependant. If you have a drummer who can hit the snare in the same place everytime, or a singer with great mic technique and great control over their voice, sure, go for it. That's ideal. I'm mixing a song right now where the drums are done entirely without compression, but the drummer is a session pro. I've found it impossible to make blanket decisions about whether or not to record drums or vocals with or without EQ or compression. It depends entirely on the musician, the instrument, the mics and the music. Out of those factors, I as engineer have control over the mics.

Phil
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilC
The truth about working that way is that it's entirely musician dependant. If you have a drummer who can hit the snare in the same place everytime, or a singer with great mic technique and great control over their voice, sure, go for it. That's ideal. I'm mixing a song right now where the drums are done entirely without compression, but the drummer is a session pro. I've found it impossible to make blanket decisions about whether or not to record drums or vocals with or without EQ or compression. It depends entirely on the musician, the instrument, the mics and the music. Out of those factors, I as engineer have control over the mics.
Phil
Phil, I agree. I read that article and it kind of determined my gear purchases for the year, more out budgetary reasons than for sonics. I'm upgrading from some of the cheaper channel strips, so I figured I had to start with pres and mics, if it worked for corn so why not!
I had a thrash band come in for a sunday and we recorded and mixed 5 songs, and the band liked it(silly buggers!) I did like the time it gave me to move the mics around, and not have to worry about comp adjustments. I have comps I can use but I figure if they aren't up to the quality of the pres then I'm better off using the plugin comps and automation in protools. Take care
daniel
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Addict

Thanks Bob
Old 6th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
I know this is one of those "must use you own ears" comparisons. But, I'm curious what you guys think. I'm thinking the price difference will allow me to add maybe a single distressor or a single 1272 if I go with a pair of avalons
looking at some of my old posts thinking how long ago 2002 was.
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hi RobMackie,

I have an STT1 which I tested against: Avalon 737sp, Amek9098, Focusrite ISA 430, Mindprint DTC, Summit Audio. For me it was love at first hearing. In my opinion this mic pre sits in-between neutral (esp. solid state topology) and somewhat coloured (esp. valve topology). I think it is not suited for the screaming rock vocalist. The valve topology and EQ are ever so sweet, nice firm bottom, soft midrange and smooth top.

Quite a number of comments have already been made about this pre, you should do a search maybe.

Cheers, Bob.
+1 on stt1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search