The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allaire Closes?? Consoles
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Allaire Closes??

I've heard rumors to that effect - please tell me I am wrong.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

ok..you're wrong
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Well, that's very good to hear. With all the studios that have closed/are closing, this would have been a big loss.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

I haven't heard that. They just put the Air Montserrat console in there in place of the SSL 9000J. I do know that the studio is for sale however. It can all be yours for the low, low price of 11 million.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

ALLAIRE HAS CLOSED IT'S DOORS

AS OF TODAY.....
ALLAIRE IS NO MORE~!

Another one bites the dust....
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Yep, talked to Ken (at Allaire) yesterday and it was his last day there. Franks (Moscowitz) was let go a week or so ago and told me what was coming and asked me not to say anything to anybody. Ken filled me in on more of the details which is now up for public knowledge...

It's not really closing per say but they did lay off the entire staff. It will be "staffed" on a per project basis (as if that will work for a studio this size) with a "hire on" staff. Mark is gone and there is the real loss for Allaire. Since there will be no more staff, I'd hate to have a problem come up during a session as you could spend a half day just walking around the facility trying to find the problem! And they just installed the Air console so you know all the bugs aren't worked out yet.

Ken is moving Retropsec and Trouble Report to Water Music in Hoboken, NJ. He is going to revive the Retrospec line of tube direct boxes (the juicebox) and the compressor (the squeezebox). If anyone wants to buy one let me know as I told Ken I'd help him take pre-orders.

If anyone wants to buy Allaire it is for sale for 11 Million and I would gladly broker the deal!!!

Paulie, this will mean more business for Millbrook! Call me as we have a couple things to talk about.

The funny thing is Mix just ran the article on the upgrade to the Air console with Ken and Mark in the picture.

I told Ken to let me know when "the great sell off" will take place (cause you know it's coming) as I want to grab some of the more oddball stuff they have there... and the 8068 in the B room as well.

It's the sign O' the times kids....

Last edited by Silvertone; 13th March 2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: mo info to add
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

tragic.

I can't believe many people want to invest 11 million in the current climate.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Didn't Pat Thrall mention this in the Drummer Superior 2.0 video?
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Heads up Slutz, the Powerball lottery prize is $275M. Lets see, $137M cash prize - about $54M in taxes = $82M pocket money; yep, there will be enough. It makes me sick to see these amazing places folding day to day operations.
Old 13th March 2008
Wow. I mean, just, totally... wow.
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Addict

I must say that it feels like the future is not in a few huge studios but in many smaller ones.
Old 13th March 2008
I'd go further to say that "studio" is going to give way to "enclosure"-- I guess that means "room in a house" or some other essentially quiet locale.

State-of-the-art gear has become so cheap and so portable, [heresy] nobody needs a "studio" no more. [/heresy]

AND the other side of the equation: the money to be "made" from music these days won't support these gargantuan budgets. If you've been following my Breeders saga, I'll add a telling side-note. This new album "Mountain Battles" won't even be "released" until April 7, and yet the whole thing has been available for downloading since February, and you can even find tracks for free on the Breeders Myspace page!

The only people who are going to "buy" this thing are the hardest-core fans. The public? Eh... I don't THINK so.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, thanks for the info Larry.
I met with Mark not too long ago and he said they have sessions thru April.

I hope they can keep it going for a while and revive somehow. Thats one of the greatest places ever.

For anyone that doesnt know:

Welcome to Allaire Studios
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymax View Post
Wow, thanks for the info Larry.
I met with Mark not too long ago and he said they have sessions thru April.

I hope they can keep it going for a while and revive somehow. Thats one of the greatest places ever.

For anyone that doesnt know:

Welcome to Allaire Studios
The last few bookings fell through... hence the outcome of Allaire.

As music budgets shrink or become obsolete I find I'm making it up on the film side of the industry... which kills me to have every cue in every film mastered but hey, give em what they want right. Thank goodness too or my business would have gone away four years ago... and I operate with no overhead but the heat and lights... tough industry now!!!
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
It's the sign O' the times kids....
Larry -
Thanks so much for the info.

I don't think this really reflects a true sign of the times because I can't see how Allaire was supposed to possibly have a business plan based in any reality in the first place. It was definitely on my list as places I wanted to bring my string quartet for a weekend to track in as a treat to ourselves as it obviously is one of the most beautiful facilities made recently - but from a business point of view at best it seemed like a tax shelter as I simply didn't think the amount of investment in the facility was ever warranted by the level of budgets available and actual existing demand for a new premium residential studio.

If an owner is also one of the main technicians and engineers and already had a steady stream of clients, and if it was located a little differently I can see how a no expense spared place might have even a small semblance of a chance - but obviously the business climate the music "industry" already faced when Allaire was built was certainly not conducive to it ever paying back the investments put into it - and if anything this has only gotten exacerbated in the past few years. But if investment into the gear and facility had been done in a less fanciful way I can see that it would have a much easier time continuing. To quote Robert Fripp, it really helps these days to be "small, mobile & intelligent"!

Allaire truly is a beautiful place though and I hope where it works out for the laid off staff to all end up in better places, and also for the continuation of its use as a studio.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Holy crap! I guess it was inevitable though. In the first couple years it was open, I think the staff was laid off at least twice. Hard to keep a studio open when the "business model" is to have the studio pay for its own costs.
Maybe Bowie will buy it or something- he loved the place and certainly doesn't need the money!
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Actually lasted longer then I ever thought.

Sadly enough, the day Eddie Kramer and John Stoyrk took me up there to look at the place, pre studio build.

I told both of them it would last only a few years at best.
I knew it was way toooooooo much for the climate we now have to work in...
The enevitable happened.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Luckily, we still have two great rooms upstate........ the Clubhouse and Millbrook.

Hey Paulie!! Let's keep waving the flag for broke studio owners everywhere!!
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Flag raised...

At least for now, while I'm still here!
Old 14th March 2008
TML
Lives for gear

I wonder if they're gonna auction off the 15ft. brass likeness of Lorne Green kissng a poodle?
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

Where are the artists that would have paid for this kind of facility?

Are there really world-class, talented, well-funded, visionary rock bands that would benefit from the huge drum rooms, super-lovely acoustics, and indulgent environs??

It's almost like they built a studio for Jeff Buckley, but there aren't any Jeff Buckleys anymore. And there aren't any coming down the pike either...

Even Radiohead's "In Rainbows" was recorded at home, using mobile gear.

Allaire was a beautiful studio built on admirable ideals of splendor and indulgence for artists. In this way, it was a studio for another age.

- c
Old 14th March 2008
TML
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

Are there really world-class, talented, well-funded, visionary rock bands that would benefit from the huge drum rooms, super-lovely acoustics, and indulgent environs??

It's almost like they built a studio for Jeff Buckley, but there aren't any Jeff Buckleys anymore. And there aren't any coming down the pike either...

Even Radiohead's "In Rainbows" was recorded at home, using mobile gear.

Allaire was a beautiful studio built on admirable ideals of splendor and indulgence for artists. In this way, it was a studio for another age.

- c
Well put!!thumbsup
Plus... who has 2 g's a day.......or probably something like that.....
tim
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
i don't know, but the secret machines drum tones were

K
Old 14th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Heads up Slutz, the Powerball lottery prize is $275M. Lets see, $137M cash prize - about $54M in taxes = $82M pocket money; yep, there will be enough. It makes me sick to see these amazing places folding day to day operations.
Excuse me for stepping into a sidebar for a moment, but does it strike anybody else as strange that if you win $275 mil, you get a check for only $82 mil? Seems like false advertising to me, but I guess I wouldn't complain either if the check had my name on it!
Old 14th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Flag raised...

At least for now, while I'm still here!

flag raised, hunt country red opened...
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

U get jacked for half for cash up front, 35% to uncle sam.
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

wow. Thats one of the coolest studios ever. I was hoping I could have worked there at least once. Oh well. The basement it is.
Old 14th March 2008
basements are cool...you get the rat smell, garbage smell, piss smell AND the mold smell...
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Excuse me for stepping into a sidebar for a moment, but does it strike anybody else as strange that if you win $275 mil, you get a check for only $82 mil? Seems like false advertising to me, but I guess I wouldn't complain either if the check had my name on it!
the UK lottery winnings are tax free - apparantley, I wouldn't know cos I've never won anything.
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

i have won 220euro once, when this helps...

besides this its really a shame that the studio closes...
allaire is the most unbelievable studio for me.

i want to win that lousy jackpot and stick that studio with its landscape
somewhere near berlin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search