The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allaire Closes?? Consoles
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

Now again gang... it hasn't really closed. You can hire it on a per project basis and bring your own staff!!! Good luck to them with that concept... expect... when Tim McGraw did his last 3 albums there that's just what he did. He brought 30 people with him, everybody had a tech. Even the assistant engineer had an assistant! So we'll have to see how long a major studio can be run like a project studio. It will be a good experiment (at least from where I'm sitting). Oh and he spent 60K a month there! I know Ken worked his ass off every time a high profile act came through the door so I really don't know how you "hire on" a lead tech who doesn't know the layout of everything.

Chad, I hear you but McGraw did his albums up there because when you make the kind of money he and Faith make you can give it back to the industry or Uncle Sam. So they opted for the industry. Same with Rush and Norah Jones. So yes the model is still in place for studios like these only the artists making that kind of money are fewer then ever before so there are only a finite number of high end studios that can be supported.
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Where are the artists that would have paid for this kind of facility?

Are there really world-class, talented, well-funded, visionary rock bands that would benefit from the huge drum rooms, super-lovely acoustics, and indulgent environs??

It's almost like they built a studio for Jeff Buckley, but there aren't any Jeff Buckleys anymore. And there aren't any coming down the pike either...

Even Radiohead's "In Rainbows" was recorded at home, using mobile gear.

Allaire was a beautiful studio built on admirable ideals of splendor and indulgence for artists. In this way, it was a studio for another age.

- c

yup.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

This is sad. I met with a gentleman that posts on here last week to use our studio and he had done some engineering work at Allaire. Said it was a dream of a studio. I had always wanted to go there after seeing it! Guess I still can if anyone is home.
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Addict

The artist I just did a session with at Allaire last month said she couldn't imagine recording any other place after our experience there. We ALL loved it at Allaire. A truly outstanding studio AND staff! We were looking forward to bringing more projects up the mountain...

Best of luck to Mark, Ken, Susan, Stephanie and the rest of the staff there. They've been the best! I hope you all land somewhere great!
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

I just bought a heap of lottery tickets ....

Then I showed my wife the place on the web. I said if I win we're taking the kids and we're moving in.

She went real quiet then said "have you ever seen the film The Shining"

LOL, she has a point I would'nt like to be up there on a really dark stormy night. I think I'd get spooked. You would want to have a lot of bods about.

Fingers crossed.

TMY
Old 14th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post

Then I showed my wife the place on the web. I said if I win we're taking the kids and we're moving in.

She went real quiet then said "have you ever seen the film The Shining"?
LOL!!!

Come to think of it, that's eerily similar.
Old 14th March 2008
Here for the gear

A another flag raised here in central MA: Long View Farm is still open. It hasn't been easy by any means. Rumors have circulated about us going down but I'm here to tell you we are open for business WITH support staff. We have and will be making some changes in the near future as any smart business would, given the climate in our industry.

Cheers to you all!
Old 14th March 2008
Good God, this is so sad, this is like all the dinosaurs leaping into the ocean after the meteor hit.
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post

You would want to have a lot of bods about.

Or buds.

Or ... bud.
Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
This is sad. I met with a gentleman that posts on here last week to use our studio and he had done some engineering work at Allaire. Said it was a dream of a studio. I had always wanted to go there after seeing it! Guess I still can if anyone is home.
I can assure you Clay, I'm no gentleman! heh
Old 15th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Good God, this is so sad, this is like all the dinosaurs leaping into the ocean after the meteor hit.
don't worry, joel, that next meteor doesn't hit until, when? like 2028?...

and your new roof should be fine protection....heh
Old 15th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
don't worry, joel, that next meteor doesn't hit until, when? like 2028?...

and your new roof should be fine protection....heh
By then... I'm guessing every iPod will come with ProTools and Neumann will be sending out mass marketing mailings of microphones the way I get razors in the mail.

And the latest will be noise-cancelling headphones withOUT any input--just the cancelling!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search