The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any opinions of the AEA The Ribbon Mic Pre? Ribbon Microphones
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

Any opinions of the AEA The Ribbon Mic Pre?

Just wondering who has one and what they think about it. Designed by Fred Forssell, two clean channels with 83db of gain looks pretty nice to me!
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

Lots of clean gain......
Quick and mostly colorless.(a good thing!)
Of course great with ribbons.
Overall an excelent buy.

Nomatic

www.hideoutstudios.com
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

So I assume you own one? I read one of two comments I could find through the search function that said it was fairly noisy at higher gain settings, any truth to that? The other recommended it but didn't say anything else about it, hence my question for those who've used it.
Thanks!
Old 13th March 2008
It's uber clean and of course a ton of gain. Sounds the same through the entire gain range. Basically it gets out of the way of the mic completely to my ears. It seemed quiet to me at the higher gains, but I used it around other instruments at the same time. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and it's definitely far quieter than my Neve preamps (which I notice the noise with the Neve slightly on really quiet passages with a ribbon or SM-7b), but probably not as quiet as my Buzz MA2.2. Hope this helps.
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Addict

If it is a matter of money....

I bet Mr. Forssell might recommend his SMP-2 for $2G over the AEA for ribbon (or any other) use.

It has: Gain: + 6 dB to + 70 dB (gain range from +15 to +78 dB optional.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Nathan....Sounds like what I'm looking for.

Bodac, That does look nice, but I think the AEA TRP is too good a deal not to at least try out as long as there aren't any major problems with it. I already have Neves, APIs, Quad Eight and Electrodyne pres, so I've got the color choices covered and a real high gain ribbon pre should give me that last palette I'm looking for.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Price point

This preamp has me asking questions. I haven't used it, but I know others who have, and it seems to be top notch.

Need phantom power? Well, either build a little outboard box or buy a phantom supply.

This would result in a top notch optional phantom supplied preamp at about $1200 under "normal" price

So, I don't understand the price point. Not that I'm complaining about a reasonably priced box!

Is this box a big sleeper? Should I order it before noon tomorrow?
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

I was interested right up until NathanEldred mentioned that the Buzz MA2.2 is even quieter ...

Comparing noise specs is so hard. AEA make it sound like it's the quietest preamp available - but I suspect it isn't.

Lack of noise is it's main claim to fame - because getting the gain you need for ribbons isn't really the problem. It's getting gain without noise.

It's not going to have the mojo of the transformer preamps. Lack of transformers makes it cheaper to build.

I'm thinking I should get a Buzz.
Old 13th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
I was interested right up until NathanEldred mentioned that the Buzz MA2.2 is even quieter ...

Comparing noise specs is so hard. AEA make it sound like it's the quietest preamp available - but I suspect it isn't.

Lack of noise is it's main claim to fame - because getting the gain you need for ribbons isn't really the problem. It's getting gain without noise.

It's not going to have the mojo of the transformer preamps. Lack of transformers makes it cheaper to build.

I'm thinking I should get a Buzz.
Please remember that I was speaking in terms of 'needle drop' quiet with the Buzz Audio, so it's just a matter of degree. In general the TRP is very quiet, I don't want you to think that it's noisy by any stretch of the imagination. Fred Forsell and Tim Farrant are two of the best designers around today IMO.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks. 'Needle drop' quiet is what i'm looking for. The published EIN specs suggest the Buzz has a 3dB advantage. But according to some experts, any figure over -129 can't be trusted.
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

TRP is a nice simple clean preamp, but it cannot be compared to the highly sophisticated and awesome sounding Forssell SMP-2. It is a different league. (I tried both)
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

I've used one for a couple years now and a few notes:

* It's not sterile-clean, like for instance the Mindprint DTC which is zero-distortion. This has just enough distortion when the fader is detented for a taste of "euphonic syrup"...a touch of second harmonic. The fader can be cranked past the +2.5db detente and the preamp overdriven, which will give it some APIish 3rd harmonic before going square.

* It's fast and quite beautifully detailed, but it isn't particularly colored.

* It will sound very noisy if nothing's plugged into it! You need to plug some kind of load into it in order to hear its actual noise floor.

* The unbalanced output options didn't sound great to me, but I may have hooked them up wrong when I tested. Try to stick to the balanced XLR outputs if in doubt.

* There is no phantom power available and you probably ought not to try to apply any.

* Two of these can provide 4 channels in 1U which is great for toms etc. for a very competitive price.

* Ribbons are good through this but tube condensers can be great through them (those that have their own power supply) and dynamics can also work well too.

* Keep them away from power toroids of other gear etc...they have exernal power supplies, which is a more "pro" feature actually, to take noise out of their environment. Help them reach this goal.

Old 13th March 2008
Jai guru deva om

You might want to look at this also:

Earthworks - Preamps - Like Wire with Gain

I've never compared to the TRP on noise etc, but you want clean and quiet?

Yup.

War
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, thats one big wall you got there, Warren! heh
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, I've never found the AEA pre to have any noise worth mentioning by itself. At stupid gain, you'll probably experience noise coming from the microphone moreso than the pre.

In general, it's an all purpose mic amp that sounds way more like the microphones you plug into, and not so much like a mic pre.
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Addict

TRP = awesome with ribbon mics. I have used it with royer sf-12 on overheads, coles 4038, AEA r92 on electric (amazing combo!) , and a vintage RCA 44 (our main vocal chain): 44 --> TRP --> Tele w395 eq --> STAlevel--> MC77 = amazing.
Very clear and lets the ribbon's mojo speak for itself. also works great on upright piano, with M582 tube
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEGG View Post
Is this box a big sleeper? Should I order it before noon tomorrow?
Why? Is there some promo going on that I should know about?
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

great

I got one from Mercenary when they came out.

It is awesome.
Never had any problem with self noise.

Stunning with ribbons.

I will buy a second as soon as I can.

One of those pieces you never get rid of.
Old 14th March 2008
Gear Nut

I'm thoroughly pleased with the TRP, no noticeable noise
issues here.

Primarily pair it with an SF-12 also 121s....used
it recently on harp and cuattro/charango strings...
very spacious.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search