The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Nightmares
Old 6th December 2002
Recording Nightmares

Spawned from the recording techniques thread...
What's your worst recording nightmare?
I was once working in a studio in Italy with a bunch of expensive English session musicians. Half way through the best rhythm take of the day the tape op leaned his chair back on to the main power switch and turned off all the machines.
The same guy - who became known as Godzilla as he was tall, fat and ungainly - was asked to adjust the position of one of the drum overheads. A couple of minutes later there was a crash and we looked up to see he had tripped over and demolished the entire drum mic set up. *After taking a day to get the drum sound*
A guy I knew who was working with George Martin was instructed to punch in the cello and punched in the rest of the orchestra instead.....of course they had all gone to the restaurant for lunch leaving a large silent hole in Sir George's string arrangement.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah that's a classic. I think every aspiring engineer did that one in the days before DAW's took over the control of the world. I know that *I* did it on a jazz track when the bass player wanted to make a quick punch to fix something... The producer calmly said: "It's not the best way to build up your client's roster..."

Hopefully most guys don't do it on a Sir Georges track... tut
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

I had a guy do that once with a vocal. It was his first time tracking on 2" and he turned around and asked me where the undo button was. Slightly off topic but the next dumbest thing I've been asked was at Wendys on Wednesday night. I went to the drive through and the guy (not a kid) asked me if I wanted my order to go...
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

One of the greatest stories that I ever heard was a from friend of mine. He just finished a difficult mix and was ready to make a ref for the client. No CDR's back then; he instructed his assistant to make ready a cassette. The assistant (new and slightly nervous) opened the wrapper and got the tapte put of the case, only to fumble it. My friend watched in horror as the tape fell seemingly in slow motion and landed exactly on the power switch to the automation computer!

Probably take about a million years to duplicate that event...
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Recording Nightmares

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso

A guy I knew who was working with George Martin was instructed to punch in the cello and punched in the rest of the orchestra instead.....of course they had all gone to the restaurant for lunch leaving a large silent hole in Sir George's string arrangement.
man... my genitals scrunk 10% after reading that. Effing up a string arrangement is one thing, but doing it for Sir Martin? Suicide would be a better alternative to going to bed the rest of your life thinking about it.
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Recording Nightmares

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
man... my genitals scrunk 10% after reading that. Effing up a string arrangement is one thing, but doing it for Sir Martin? Suicide would be a better alternative to going to bed the rest of your life thinking about it.
Isn't suicide pretty much what he did?
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

My 32-track ProTools Nubus system. Looking back at it now that was a nightmare overall. Except for praying every day that the system please wouldn't crash during sessions some of the more 'fun' experiences include :

- a trombone solo that transformed itself into a basdrum part for no reason what so ever. The basdrum in question wasn't even in the same session or folder.

- sometimes with a crash while in record, the HD would fill itself up with a huge unreadable file. If you were lucky the only thing that got screwed was the track you were recording. One time it crashed the complete disk.

- For no reason what so ever a session that you closed / saved the night before would be corrupted in the morning. Sessions were constantly saved together with a copy and numbered song 01 / 02 / 03 / ... / 101 / 102 / ... At least one of the previous ones or the copy would open and you'd only loose like 30 minutes of work.

- I was very fortunate I guess that none of those things happened when it 'really' mattered ... like with imprtant clients and so ... but blood sweat and tears were shed in those days to keep it all running. Daily backups for example were a must.
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

Ok, here's a good one. One of my first times in the chair was a 16 or 17 piece hatian band. We were doing horn overdubs and I was in a control room that was big enough for about 6 or 7 people but we had about 12 or 13 in there. The A800 had just crashed so we swapped to the MTR 90 and kept rolling. Well, the band leader who was one of three people there who spoke English was telling me where to punch-out, got overly excited and managed to swipe most of the tracks on the MTR-90 into record wiping out about 3 seconds of the song. I think SMPTE, the click and the vocals were left. Everything else was gone. Whoops.
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

My funniest one is not engaging the master Record button of my tape deck. I had the band come into the control room to listen to what seemed like a great take. The come in and there's no sound. I'm going back and forth between repro and output and nothing. I finally noticed that the master red light was not lit. The slate on the next take has me saying, "Take three 'cause I'm a idiot!"
Old 10th December 2002
One with big hooves

How the fuck did you pull that off? I monitor through the deck so if tape is rolling and there's no audio I'm not in record. Unless I'm in all-input but I have these cool blue lights and if I see all 24 of them lit up well...
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

I monitor through the deck also and stay in all input mode so the player can hear themselves play/talk at all times until they want to hear back a take...Still got them red record lights though.
Old 10th December 2002
Early on as a wanabe producer I had a band 'leader' pop in with his only cassestte of the tune (a vibey 4 track demo that was very worth keeping) while I was copying it - to give it my full Phill Spector considration, I managed to rub out the first minute of it!

Madd

Nice!
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
How the fuck did you pull that off? I monitor through the deck so if tape is rolling and there's no audio I'm not in record. Unless I'm in all-input but I have these cool blue lights and if I see all 24 of them lit up well...
As I said "I'm an Idiot!" My record lights don't flash, they slightly get brighter. The remote on the M79 has four latching buttons per channel and four master switches. I was in input and was hearing sound just fine. So was the deck, it just wasn't printing.
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

That happened to me as well, Drumsound.... only once!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear