The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gml 8200 Equalisers (HW)
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Gml 8200

Hello,
I'm going to buy the Gml 8200 eq. I heard it and I liked very much but I had no time to test it for a long time.

So just to know its strengths and weaknesses!
Some freq where it's great etc. or some trick to test!

Thank you
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

One really common application is to have it after the G384 to restore the HF loss at the buss comp.
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

It´s a great clean EQ which preserves phase & transients like nothing else.
It does narrow q notching very well.
Old 10th March 2008
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
One really common application is to have it after the G384 to restore the HF loss at the buss comp.
There are so many compressors on the market that work as well if not better [as in versatility] than the G384 where you don't need any EQ to bring back the top and bottom the thing eats there is bloody little reason to use a G384 these days.

The 8200 for all intents and purposes is like a wire that can change the volume at user determined points through the audio spectrum... the 9500 [matering version] is a measure larger sounding... a bit clearer in the bottom but if you don't have the opportunity to try them side by side you'd never have cause to prefer the 9500 to the 8200.

FWIW, in my room I swapped out my 8200 for a pair of Portico 5033's... they gave me as much flexibility [actually a smidge more so as I could the bands I wasn't using off and get their electronics out of the signal path] and it only takes up 1 RU instead of two [plus I didn't have to dick around with an external power supply... but I'm lazy and that may not effect your reality in the slightest].

Best of luck with your search!!

Peace.
Old 11th March 2008
In my experience, the 8200 have the most beautiful high's ever, nothing (in my studio) sounds like a 8200, it will be plugged in to my Duality FOREVER!!

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Old 11th March 2008
Lives for gear

My 8200 is twenty years old, and the pots still sound clean. It has never needed servicing. Excellent build quality, low noise, neutral sonic coloration... I've used it on anything that ever needed surgical EQ, from a kick drum to an entire mix.
Old 11th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
In my experience, the 8200 have the most beautiful high's ever, nothing (in my studio) sounds like a 8200, it will be plugged in to my Duality FOREVER!!

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Is there some particular freq that is great in the high/bass section? For example 16 khz to give some great clarity? Or 60/80 for great bass?
Old 11th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by S75 View Post
Is there some particular freq that is great in the high/bass section? For example 16 khz to give some great clarity? Or 60/80 for great bass?
I'm getting great results with 3db at 14k or 16k and about the same on the bottom end, 3db @ 80Hz.

But honestly, I borrowed those settings from here:EQ on stereo bus

Thanks muziqfreek!!

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 11th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks,
Surely I'll test it!
Old 11th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Ditto! It will never leave my Duality buss! The only difference is that once I start digging into the lavry I use the 16K shelf to attenuate the highs and not boost them. Low end shelf always at 30Hz. Very smooth and deep...
Old 29th January 2015
Gear Head

Hello to all, suddenly the power of my GML 8200 he began to make a noise of electric type. I measured, therefore, the background noise of the equalizer ......
The result with all the knobs set to zero has been:
- Left Channel - 85 dbfs
- Right Channel - 91 dbfs
in the left channel there is a noise that affects low frequencies and in the right channel you hear a noise that goes on mid-high frequencies (I did not use any analyzer, just maybe if I do this you need to do to see the result).
According to you can depend dall'alimantatore this noise difference?
Or maybe is it normal?
Thank you all and I hope to get answers.
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Couldn't agree more! Probably the best piece of gear i have ever used. My school has one and life will not be the same without it...
Old 4th April 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
There are so many compressors on the market that work as well if not better [as in versatility] than the G384 where you don't need any EQ to bring back the top and bottom the thing eats there is bloody little reason to use a G384 these days.

The 8200 for all intents and purposes is like a wire that can change the volume at user determined points through the audio spectrum... the 9500 [matering version] is a measure larger sounding... a bit clearer in the bottom but if you don't have the opportunity to try them side by side you'd never have cause to prefer the 9500 to the 8200.

FWIW, in my room I swapped out my 8200 for a pair of Portico 5033's... they gave me as much flexibility [actually a smidge more so as I could the bands I wasn't using off and get their electronics out of the signal path] and it only takes up 1 RU instead of two [plus I didn't have to dick around with an external power supply... but I'm lazy and that may not effect your reality in the slightest].

Best of luck with your search!!

Peace.
I have the 8200 (had 2, sold 1 recently) here side by side with a pair of 5033s as well - the 5033 IMHO is more versatile as it allows to shape a "broken" signal with wide positive and small negative curves better - the 8200 is great in dialing out small notches of resonances and other unwanted frequencies but not so good in wider shaping - problem with the 8200 is: as the 5 bands are always on it will show you resonances in all five bands that are actually not like that in the original signal - I think I`m competent enough in parametric eqing but with the 8200 it always takes me like 2h or so to get it really right (result is fantastic then though) - IMHO the 8200 a great clean eq to clean up "damaged" signals with several resonance freq. without taking anything of their integrity - if I only want to pull out one annoying freq. I use a Roger Schult W 2377, if I want to pull out one or two freq. and add something else I use the 5033
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search