The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GML compressor Equalizer Plugins
Old 7th March 2008
Gear Head

GML compressor

Hi ,

just received the last Tapeop mag. A cool interview with George talk about a new dynamic processor. It's about an analog processor with digital comand ... something stunning !
Did you heard about that ?

Jerome
Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

It was interesting read.

1) digital gain reduction "circuits"
2) analog path
3) cheaper to make?

I wonder if it is going to have an connection to DAW for recall then ;-).
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

I saw that. Of course, now that I have an 8900, they WOULD be putting this out. Can't wait to see it, though.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 8th March 2008

Don't worry. It is not yet in pre-production. Or in production yet. When it's newly ready we'll all let you know.
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

That´s pretty exciting.
Imagine a gml comp with digital look ahead / multi band etc. control...
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

I heard a plugin comp that sounded amazing, don't know why it's not out yet......
I just hope they make them AU's as well!!!

George is one of the most intelligent and creative people I have met!
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

He had a comp. plugin prototype running during his last workshop may 07 in munich.
Looks like he changed his mind on plugin compression.

Hopefully I´ll get an upgrade for my brandnew 8900
Old 19th April 2008
Lives for gear

Any further news on this?
Old 19th April 2008
Lives for gear

Hope GM is coding AU's as we speak! His gear is always ahead of the game in many ways!
Give us some news!!
Old 20th April 2008
gml
Gear Nut

it's coming...it's coming...

dear all,
sorry this thing is taking so long. the delay is understandable in the light of our trying to implement new technology that works on introduction. this is not a rehash of the same old GR techniques or a simplistic methodology with a "legacy" front panel. and its extreme demands on DSP make a later introduction more attractive, as processing power increases dramatically year by year.
but it is already clear that we'll come out on several different platforms, one of which will be an analog through, digital side-chain (at 384kHz rate, to minimize control chain latency) product.
George
Old 20th April 2008
Gear Maniac

sounds great George... looking forward to it.

btw - that was some spooky psychic stuff as I've been listening to Earth, Wind & Fire's: That's The Way Of The World CD remaster all morning

Charles Stepney is a hero of mine... a vastly underrated producer only now getting recognized 30yrs after his passing... must have been fabulous to work with him!

much respect

KD
Old 20th April 2008
gml
Gear Nut

Charles Stepney

Charles Stepney was a huge influence on me - a mentor and a friend. he could have had it all if he had moved to LA and done the BoHo dance there; but he chose to stay in Chicago. we did some amazing things together, including one of the early McDonald's commercials ("You, You're The One") with the Jones Girls. very, very soulful.

i recommend you find a copy of Deniece Williams "This Is Niecy". listen especially to "Free". as was common in those days, any contribution i made was marginalized, and i was egregiously underpaid. you'll note that i am to this day uncredited.

the one principle that is to be remembered is, "Much can be accomplished if one is not interested in taking credit"

George
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

George, thanks for the reply!
I hope that other formats means Audio Units and other native formats! I will be the first to purchase if it's AU, and if your EQ is AU I will buy that as well!
Thanks for all your incredible work, I love your gear and every-time I use your compressors I am overwhelmed by the control and the amazing sound!!! Keep up the incredible work!
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml View Post
but it is already clear that we'll come out on several different platforms, one of which will be an analog through, digital side-chain (at 384kHz rate, to minimize control chain latency) product.
George
Hey George,

if I understand correctly this new technology will not only be a plugin but also a hardware unit. I'm confused on your statement about analog and digital side-chain...will the hardware unit be digitally controlled analog? Will it replace the 8900?

Thanks!
Old 21st April 2008
gml
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Hey George,

if I understand correctly this new technology will not only be a plugin but also a hardware unit. I'm confused on your statement about analog and digital side-chain...will the hardware unit be digitally controlled analog? Will it replace the 8900?

Thanks!
We're implementing a really innovative - it's got to be digital - detector (the heart of the side-chain) in both domains. Everything else - and the only "else" is a gain conroller - is trivial by comparison (in analog domain, it could be a VCA or a tube or whatever's your pleasure, in digital it's a multiplication, single or double precision). It's application, then, is a matter of choice. We hoping to put it into a box with analog (precision VCA) gain control as well as a plug for different platforms.

It does not replace the 8900 as it's probably years out.

George
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info George. From your previous comments it seems this would be out in 2008 but apparently its years out. Time to demo a 8900/2030!

ps. is there any sonic difference between these two btw?
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Are there any news on this ?

I LOVE my mdw TDM EQ - no plugin comes close to its transparency and punch.
The high end is sweet like anything else.
But I really would need something in the PT world which gives me similar punch (without smashing transients) like my 8900 comp or an ssl channel comp (not that I would want to replace the 8900 for tracking & mastering but I would like something for mixing on many channels)

I hate to say it but the only plugin comp which punches at the moment is the waves ssl channel.
I DO NOT WANT to buy the waves (for their WUP policy ), so can you tell me if you release your comp for PT HD any time soon ?

Thanks !

shaman

BTW: Congrats for your new artist - very interesting & inspiring your us all here !
Old 13th December 2008
Lives for gear

Bumpity bump... any progress on this? I haven't stoped being curious at all ;-)
Old 13th December 2008
Lives for gear

Sounds like very inovative technology sir! thumbsup
Old 14th December 2008
Lives for gear

Dear Santa Claus,

Please bring us a new mdw dynamics plugin for tdm !
Old 14th December 2008
Lives for gear

meaby if you say please

then santa will offers 1mio dollar for rights of the 8900 plug .

but id think george have too much other work at blackbird studio as too develop a plugin allredy exist ! on his harddrive !

cuz i seaw and heard !!! it in düsseldorf germany and my suprice was that

he used only a prism orpheus so it might be au or vst !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Dear Santa Claus,

Please bring us a new mdw dynamics plugin for tdm !
Old 14th December 2008
Lives for gear

Santa please bring GML's EQ's and Comps to AU somehow!!!
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

I've heard parts of this at George's shop when he demo'd
it for me-and it was pretty amazing. George is the master of dynamic range control. We've done some demos of 8900 where many of the folks in the crowd could not hear it work....a very small sonic footprint. Course to George it was obvious.

Brad
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Is it a plugin or is it hardware or both...?
Is it from outer space ?
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it a plugin or is it hardware or both...?
Is it from outer space ?
Both was what he told me!
Brad
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Will we see it at NAMM ?
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will we see it at NAMM ?
No, we are still not ready to show it............still more development work I think.

Brad
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

any news
Old 5th April 2009
Lives for gear

another year has passed...have allmost given up the hope for the dynamics plugin...

is there any news ?
Old 5th April 2009
Lives for gear

Please GM!!!
We need this, and lets hope it's NATIVE.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search