The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Phoenix DRS-2 repair Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 6th March 2008
Here for the gear

Phoenix DRS-2 repair

My DRS-2 has the dreaded snap, crackle, pop in channel 2 and Phoenix has been unresponsive to numerous contact attempts. Anyone have recommendations for repair persons stateside? Thanks in advance!
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

This Phoenix repair issue sucks! I love the sound of those DRS2 preamps and still haven't found anything that I like better on OH's, but this whole repair situation has prevented me from buying one.

I wish you luck!
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Addict

I've had a problem with my DRS-2 like 2 years ago and had a very fast and helpful reply from Shaun - he sent me a replacement part right away, so I guess he might be on vacation for a while...

For how long have you been trying to reach him ?...
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

try here: Independent Audio - Professional Recording Equipment

they used to be the authorized repair center in the USA and they repaired mine a couple of years ago. i notice they no longer mention Phoenix on their site though, so i don't know
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
try here: Independent Audio - Professional Recording Equipment

they used to be the authorized repair center in the USA and they repaired mine a couple of years ago. i notice they no longer mention Phoenix on their site though, so i don't know
Independent is no longer the US distributor for Phoenix. I think you'll probably have to try and reach Shaun directly.
Old 6th March 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help guys. From what I gather, if you're able to get a hold of Shaun he's a great guy to deal with- and fast. It's the getting a hold of part that's the big issue. I've been trying to reach him/them for about a year. The problem with my unit was initially intermittent so it wasn't a huge priority at first.

As it stands I'll still get in contact with Independent Audio and see what the scoop is. One thing for sure, when the thing works it's a fantastic piece of kit!
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, great preamps but it seems that the company is all but dead if you've been trying to reach him for a year with no success. Hopefully some other electo whizzes may be able to step up to the plate and offer repair on these. Let us know what you hear from Independent.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

contact nathan at atlas pro audio for ideas/help...
Old 6th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogjeff View Post
contact nathan at atlas pro audio for ideas/help...
Actually, the whole thing seems to be in limbo. ASAP (that's the name of their company) in UK is doing distribution for USA sales of Phoenix Audio, but it's not even clear if we or anyone in the United States are dealers at this moment (even though we were the 2nd dealer ever in the US back in 2002)...let alone for me personally being able to help with customer service issues. I just don't want to pull it off the site, just to put it back again in a couple of weeks. I suggest contacting ASAP in UK or contacting the dealer you purchased it from.

Here is their website: Distribution News at ASAP Europe
Old 7th March 2008
Gear Guru

independent fixed my nicerizer in a jiffy.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

Phoenix

I had an issue with my DRS 4Q about a month back (same problem .. frying eggs on one channel). I emailed Shaun, he got right back to me, then sent me a replacement part (thing in a plastic block ... I'm not very technical!) which my tech put in for me.

Not sure why it should be the case now. Obviously, the whole situation is a bit all over the place, which is unfortunate given how great the pres are, but I'd keep trying.

B
Old 7th March 2008
Here for the gear

Wow Bing! Just in the last month? That's encouraging. I'm speaking with Independent today but I've fired off a couple emails to Shaun again just in case. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks!
Old 7th March 2008
Company Rep

Hi Joe

Nathan is right we're the UK/European distributors for Phoenix, I speak to Shaun on a daily basis so I can always sort any issues for you straight away. The best (quickest/cheapest) solution for you is to probably speak to the dealer or distributor you got the unit from, this problem as far as I know is very easy to solve. If you need any parts or assistance I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can, or I can liaise with the US dealer etc.

robin

asap europe
+44 207 231 9661
[email protected]
Old 7th March 2008
Lives for gear

that sounds like positive news robin. Do you have any more info about the situation @ Phoenix ? There has been much rumour and speculation on Gearslutz about it.
Old 7th March 2008
Company Rep

I'm aware of some of the rumours, the truth is that is Phoenix is very much still alive as it always has been, maybe its had a slight hibernation. Shaun is currently working on some things to make it even stronger than before, I'm sure we'll hear some news in the very foreseeable future on this. I'm just in the business of making sure any slight issues are dealt with as soon as possible, and if I can assist anyone I'm more than happy to

robin

asap europe
+44 207 231 9661
[email protected]
Old 8th March 2008
Here for the gear

Update: this is bizaar but in a nice way. After reading Bing81's post earlier today I fired off another round of emails (one to each listed on the Phoenix site) and Shaun kindly responded- same day! He knows exactly what the issue is (very simple to fix as Robin stated) and is going to send me the appropriate output amp asap. Looks like the case is close to being closed AND we can count at least two recent positive experiences with the company. Obviously more than a few of us think very highly of their product and hope they can develop more momentum from here.

Thanks again to all of you who chimed in to help. What a cool community!
Old 8th March 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi View Post
Shaun is currently working on some things to make it even stronger than before, I'm sure we'll hear some news in the very foreseeable future on this.

this is good news, as some of us (well, me at least) think shaun designs the sweetest sounding new gear on the planet.

i would sell a kidney to have a compressor with his circuits in them.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac
Same story here. DRS-Q4 output was crackling. Shaun finaly sent the replacement part. The communication was uneasy, numerous emails got no answer, but now things seems to get better at Phoenix / Leveque.

Parts are quite easy to mount, though you need to manage some soldering.
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i would sell a kidney to have a compressor with his circuits in them.

A Phoenix 2254 perhaps?heh
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

Maybe...
At least, they are working on a compressor...
Old 10th March 2008
member no 666

Well David Rees is the guy that does the design work for Shaun at Phoenix... and he's the guy that designed the 2254 for the "original" Rupert Neve company so maybe it isn't such a stretch for him to design again what he designed before...
Old 19th March 2008
Gear Addict

My long post was murdered!

One more time:

I was tracking a band two weeks ago. We were away in the country in a make-shift studio. I had left the keyboardist plugged into the channel 2 DI of my DRS-Q4, so he could get his patches together for the next round of tracking; I was in the "drum room" adjusting some mics.

Hearing something odd coming out of the Twin 6s we were using for tracking (rentals - but great to get the band "feeling it"), I ran back to see what was going on. Well wouldn't you know that, in an effort to get a "dirtier" sound, the keyboardist had decided to patch his micrKorg through a Traynor head (ugh) right into the DI (double ugh.)

Well... *POOF*

At the end of the day I emailed Shaun telling him of the (as he put it) "murder" of one of the D.I.s. He replied immediately, noting that no one had ever plugged an amp directly into one of their products and that there was no way to know what damage was done without seeing it BUT as long as I paid for shipping he would fix it at no cost.

Wow! He saved the weekend. The band, worried they would now have to fork over an additional (and somewhat fat) wad of cash were relieved that all they would have to foot was the FedEx bill (which at $500+ for the round trip isn't cheap but at least it's not the price of a new Q4.)

Shaun received the DRS-Q4 late Thursday afternoon (last Thursday). It was fixed by Friday afternoon and will arrive here in Montreal tomorrow. Not only did he fix the DI, but he also upgraded the output stages to a new revision and gave the whole unit a thorough going-over.

What a stand-up guy. I would buy from them again in an instant.

And I will because, yes, Shaun confirmed that a compressor/limiter is in the works.

Ain't nothing like a good, long, happy ending.

(Oh and by the way, the DRS-Q4's channel 2 mic pre and EQ remained fully functional for the rest of that weekend and ended up being used to record some pretty amazing guitar tracks.)
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

I'm glad to hear Phoenix is looking to come back strong. My DRS has been used on every single recording I've done since getting it several years ago, and I'd love to see some new stuff from them.
Old 19th March 2008
Here for the gear

Here's an update of the original post. After finally reaching Shaun, we were able to troubleshoot the email issues (server was blocking email from earthlink). Once communication was established he sent me not one, but two output amps completely free of charge and he paid for shipping. It was a pleasure dealing with him and after hearing what they are working on, it sounds like Phoenix will be all the way "back" and better than ever shortly. Sweet.
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

This is all good news for the Phoenix owners out there. Keep up the great work and service Shaun!!
Old 13th May 2008

I had the crackles on my DRS-1 a couple of years ago. I emailed Phoenix Audio and got a fairly prompt response from Shaun, but it took a few weeks and some politely prodding emails before I got the correct op amp sent out - my unit has the older-style, non-DSOP1 op amp. I was very impressed with the remote diagnosis and freebie fix, but not so much the responsiveness.

Just in the last week I've been getting a problem where the audio is very soft, until I crank both knobs when it suddenly opens up again. If no signal is passed through it for a few seconds the gain drops again. I suppose it's time for another email again, but I'm kinda dreading the frustration I had with the last issue's communication. Was tossing up whether to take it to a local tech I know, but I'm glad I took a look in here - I'll suspend judgement and sent that email.

I love my DRS to death. It is my favourite piece of recording gear.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

I love my DRS to death. It is my favourite piece of recording gear.[/QUOTE]

Same here... we've used and tried lots of pres, and we still use our DRS-2 (an early model number) ALL the time.. we've never had problems (knock wood)... such a good unit... I hope Shaun and the company continue well...
Old 13th May 2008
Gear Addict

FWIW
Love our DRS-2.
Incredible mojo.
Extremely euphonic.
Old 13th May 2008
Well..I hope Shaun will come back! his products sounds great...but comes with a big dosis of fear!! people would love to have them and fear to buy them!!

Really hope Shaun to be better with his production process and support...great gear really!

Good Luck Shaun!
Old 13th May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
yes, Shaun confirmed that a compressor/limiter is in the works.
That's awesome! I have -and love- their "Stereo Nice DI", and I'm a total compressor fiend, so a Phoenix comp would be my cup of tea for sure.

I'm also glad to see this thread, because I was worried that if I ever needed service I'd be SOL. Shaun did reply to a thread I posted in the Geekslutz subforum a while back, so I knew they were "alive" to at least some extent, but it's better to hear confirmation that they are rebuilding their strength.
thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search