The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Phoenix DRS-2 repair
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Cage View Post
I had the crackles on my DRS-1 a couple of years ago. I emailed Phoenix Audio and got a fairly prompt response from Shaun, but it took a few weeks and some politely prodding emails before I got the correct op amp sent out - my unit has the older-style, non-DSOP1 op amp. I was very impressed with the remote diagnosis and freebie fix, but not so much the responsiveness.

Just in the last week I've been getting a problem where the audio is very soft, until I crank both knobs when it suddenly opens up again. If no signal is passed through it for a few seconds the gain drops again. I suppose it's time for another email again, but I'm kinda dreading the frustration I had with the last issue's communication. Was tossing up whether to take it to a local tech I know, but I'm glad I took a look in here - I'll suspend judgement and sent that email.

I love my DRS to death. It is my favourite piece of recording gear.
I just dealt with Shaun about 3 weeks ago and he was extremely on top of things. he returned my emails within hours and shipped my new output stage immediately. The whole thing was very pleasureable. The worst part was unracking and taking the lid off of the pre.

Hopefully you'll have the same type of experience!
Old 16th June 2008

I just thought I'd add the resolution to my issue.

I identified the problem was on both the mic and DI inputs, so Shaun sent out another output stage. As soon as it arrived I opened up the preamp, and straight away I could see that the output stage was discoloured from an overheating component. I swapped it out again and am back in business! Here's hoping the problem is finally put to bed.

Shaun never took more than 1-2 days to reply to my emails and the replacement part took about 10 days to arrive, reasonable for a package coming from England to Australia.
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Glad to see Shaun is up on things. he DRS-2 s still one my own faves, and we just used it with some Schoeps for an x/y pair for a large choir recording (Angel City Chorale). It really brought the Schoeps to life.

-R
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

im getting amazing customer service from shaun in remedying my nicerizer 16 issues.
emails are returned within hours and parts shipped free of charge immediately. he offered to have me send it to him to be fixed but i chose to have him ship the parts and let my tech fix it.
really impressive!

not to mention the N16 sounds really....................NICE!
its not subtle at all compared to the pro tools mix buss!
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Reviving this because I have the same OP Stage issue on my older DRS-2.

Contacted Phoenix, they were nice, and they no longer have any TF1 o/p amps. I really like the unit for several reasons and will go through some extra lengths to repair it. I am considering opening up the black-box o/p amp stage and seeing what can be done, replace everything inside and/or reverse engineer it. Anyone have any experience with these that will help me going into this?
Thanks!
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

I can't speak to reverse engineering or anything on the technical side of your questioning, but wanted to jump in and speak to customer service from phoenix in general.
Years ago they developed a terrible rep for Q/C issues and bad handling of customer service needs. These problems happened when phoenix was still a UK based company. They have since changed ownership and are now built and based in California. Robin Ashley whipped the brand back into shape and they've been great sounding, reliable pro audio tools for many years running.

That DRS-2 is an awesome mic pre and a great re-imagining of classic Neve sounds, without just being another clone aimed at the same old stuff. I hope you get it back up and cookin!
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Head

What's up with Phoenix audio these days?

Quote:
... they have since [2009] changed ownership and are now built and based in California...
Is Shawn Leveque still with the company since he hasn't posted here since 2010

What is the difference between the DSOP-2 output stage and the original TF-1? Is it a rebranding effort because of company changes? Ultimately the former US division was split-off as Aurora Audio when Phoenix Audio was still a UK-based company.

Thx if anyone knows
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecker View Post
Is Shawn Leveque still with the company since he hasn't posted here since 2010

What is the difference between the DSOP-2 output stage and the original TF-1? Is it a rebranding effort because of company changes? Ultimately the former US division was split-off as Aurora Audio when Phoenix Audio was still a UK-based company.

Thx if anyone knows
I only have partial information here.

I bought a DRS-Q4 direct from Shaun when Phoenix was still in the UK. I won't go into the QC issues with mine, but suffice to say after someone plugged a hot amplified output into the DI stage it had to get flown back to England for repair.

I'm pretty sure even Shaun was using the DSOP-2 because I'm nearly positive that's what's in mine; I haven't taken off the op in a long while, but if I recall correctly DSOP-2 is hand written in sharpie on the blocks. He claimed to have upgraded the output stages when it went back for the DI repair, but I couldn't detect a difference.

My DRS-Q4 has an issue with powering certain p48 mics on channel B, and Robin offered to fix it flat rate (reasonably) but I have been using it so much I have been unable to send it off for repair/update.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Wow - I saw a post above that I added to this thread exactly 10 years ago

I dealt with Phoenix LA a couple of years ago. At that time, Robin was still making a few TF-1s in small batches a couple of times per year. He took my info and did actually contact me several months later with some new TF-1s. I bought 4 of them.

Not sure if he's still doing that. The original DRS-2s are awesome but definitely seem to have a heat buildup problem. After going through a few TF-1s, I opened up the rack space above mine for more ventilation, and actually drilled a few vent holes in the lid directly over the TF-1s in my unit.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Still using my prototype drs-8 couple of the meters are off but it still sounds amazing
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix DRS-2 repair-0a5a967d-6793-4ea7-961a-19062440bbae.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search