The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 Trk Tape Machine For Master Mix Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

2 Trk Tape Machine For Master Mix

Hi fellas. Been considering a 1/4 in machine to run mixes off on. Then shoot those to the mastering suite. Just curious what gets the job done. I'm hearing Ampex but there's quite a few different models... Just wondering what you guys use and have success with and what to stay away from.
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

I've got a Studer A810 and love it. There always seem to be spare parts floating about on eBay which is important with older machines.

I often track through it too, well worth experimenting with.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Addict

Studer B67. Cheap and cheerful.
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Maniac

IMHO revox/studer c270 is the the newer and best revox
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Nut

Studer C37 over here...
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Picked up a Studer A807 in near mint condition for $700 a couple years back. Sounds great.

-Scotty
Old 5th March 2008
member no 666

Last one I had was a Studer A-80RC mkII [with both 1/2 and 1/4" stacks and guides]... prefer printing to Logic these days through Apogee converters [and sometimes a little FATSO Jr.]. Far less maintenance, far less agita to set it up, media costs next to nothing... results are absolutely wonderful.

Tape shouldn't be though of an effect... if you didn't get "THE SOUND" before you're printing a mix and think that tape is gonna be the magic bullet that takes your product over the top you're sadly mistaken.

Peace.
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Last one I had was a Studer A-80RC mkII [with both 1/2 and 1/4" stacks and guides]... prefer printing to Logic these days through Apogee converters [and sometimes a little FATSO Jr.]. Far less maintenance, far less agita to set it up, media costs next to nothing... results are absolutely wonderful.

Tape shouldn't be though of an effect... if you didn't get "THE SOUND" before you're printing a mix and think that tape is gonna be the magic bullet that takes your product over the top you're sadly mistaken.

Peace.

Well saidthumbsup
Old 20th February 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

Peace.
Yes, but if you DID get "THE SOUND" a nice sounding 2-track can give it a little something extra.
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

currently a Studer A810 and hopefully soon an A807. You have to get the sound before the machine but I prefer analog over digital even when I record the mix @96kHz. There is some very slight compression going on that is hardly to get with ordinary comps.
That said: i can live totally without an analog machine - it's pure sluttyness on my part.

Jo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search