The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Random Firewire Offset Audio Interfaces
Old 5th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Random Firewire Offset

I'm thinking of putting a firewire card in my Rosetta 200. Has the random firewire offset issue been resolved by Apple?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 7th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Any takers on this question?
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Rosetta via firewire

No one?

How about this...

Does anyone use the Rosetta with a firewire card? If so, any problems?

Steve
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Head

Not yet

I have the X Firewire in my Rosetta 200 and I am still getting random offsets even with OS 10.5.2.
Old 11th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman672 View Post
I have the X Firewire in my Rosetta 200 and I am still getting random offsets even with OS 10.5.2.

Is it enough to affect the quality of the audio recording?
Old 11th March 2008
Gear Head

It will cause tracks to be all over the place unless you do all your tracking in one shot.
Every session after a restart will have problems in addition to clicks due to misaligned overdubs. I I record mainly synths and in Logic I have to set the Delay All Midi Output to match my roundtrip latency. On a properly working device, this would be done only once . In the case of the X-Firewire, this value would have to be recalculated for every session. This random offset nonsense also throws out of whack any outboard gear one may have inserted since latencies for every device would have to also be recalculated for the new offset.This makes it a dealbreaker for me and causes me to wait forever for the Lynx AES16e to be released so I can kick this X-Firewire out on the curb where it belongs.
Old 11th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Wow - that is rediculous. Do you know if it is isolated Apogee firewire cards since they use the apple driver?

Would it also apply to motu firewire devices since they use their own proprietary drivers?

Thanks for all of the info.
Old 11th March 2008
Lives for gear

well, as far as i know this is a problem with FireWire in general, on both Mac and PC.

the amount of samples of delay added to the audio by the FW bus changes, at random, every time the FW device is connected or the computer is turned off / on.

so yes, it causes all kinds of daft **** with all kinds of DAWs and FW interfaces. hardware inserts? good luck.

again, this is only as far as i know right now. i could be wrong. it would be great if i am. come on, someone correct me!
Old 11th March 2008
Gear Head

RME Fireface and Motu Firewire devices work fine. No random nonsense there. The random offset crap only happens with devices that use Apple's firewire audio driver. Some of those devices work fine under WindowsXP because they use a different driver.
Old 12th March 2008
Gear Maniac

I can't believe they haven't fixed this problem yet.
Old 12th March 2008
Gear Maniac

So is the x-symphony card the way forward then??
Old 14th March 2008
Here for the gear

Hi,

I would advise you to stay clear of firewire and go symphony - it's what i'm planning to do very soon.

My experience of this is not with any Apogee products but with yamaha's mlan. if you want a taste of the issues mac owners have had/been having with firewire and this protocol jump across to www.01xray.com/forums/

fwiw i have MacPro, running Leopard and Xp. I used xp for years but decided to move to mac some time ago. Aside from the random offset issues, setting up a firewire based recording system on the Mac (using Mlan) is now better, as long as you don't want to do anything else with firewire.

The XP side - running identical hardware and software is absolutely fine - apart from some latent stability issues. Let me be clear, there is no random offset with Firewire on the PC side, it is a Mac-side Software issue. There is a static offset created by the roundtrip of the signal to / from the daw but once computed, it's set and forget.

i have the liquid mix, the 01x and i88x. Any 2 of them will play nice on Leopard - all 3 refuse to work. I have the LM running on a separate SIIG firewire card and still no dice on the mac side.

Yamaha's mlan was my intro into digital recording and it offers a lot of options, but now i'd rather buy something like the Rosetta or even the AD16x with the x and symphony pcie card. I'm also tempted by the lynx too, but Apogee appeals simply because they build for one platform only.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search