The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question and advice needed RE: Miking drums with one mic Condenser Microphones
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Head

Question and advice needed RE: Miking drums with one mic

I read a post on the prosound RECPIT where the guy extolled the virtues of recording drums with one mike. About 6 months ago I recorded a mono track on an old Wollensak tube reel to reel with a Rode NT-2 and was blown away with the results, even with that primitive recording chain. I really want to explore this avenue and would like to know where people are placing the mike. I want the bass and snare to be the most prominent with the cyms being just slightly behind the bass/snare. Also, I was thinking of renting some gear and was thinking about an MP-2nv and a Coles 4038 as my chain. It's all going into a MOTU 2408 MKII. What would you use for this task and why. I got such a good sound using the Wollensak, I may just go that route. I am not looking for lo-fi per se, but I like a slightly distorted sound. Any suggestions. Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 6th December 2002
Super Moderator

Try placing an omni mic near the (right handed) drummer's right knee. That puts the mic in between the bass & snare drums, surrounded by the toms and cymbals. I find it a very useful place to put it. Just finesse the placement of the mic to taste.

Go for the Wollensak route. While you're at it mic the deck's speaker too...
Old 6th December 2002
One with big hooves

That's a great spot. When I'm doing FOH in small (150 or less) clubs I'll stick a 57 there to fill things in. Another good spot is 2-5 feet in front of the kit, even with the toms or a bit lower towards the top of the bass drum. It's only one mic so move it around while the drummer is playing and when you find the magic spot leave the mic there and hit record.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

I may be wrong, but I believe the old Memphis Stax drums were one 47 over the snare a couple of feet pointing down at the kit. You have to have a drummer that won't hit the mic obviously.
Old 24th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Well this thread is 8 years old, sorry to exhume it, but I'm doing a gig video tomorrow and plan to mic the drums with one mic. [I have a 4 track mixer going into a 2 track field recorder, and 4 players to mic] Question is which one?

My options [that I'm willing to take to the gig] are:

Soundelux U195
SM 57
ATM 450
ATM 25

I'm thinking the U195 ear level in front of the kit a couple of feet

advice?
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Try placing an omni mic near the (right handed) drummer's right knee. That puts the mic in between the bass & snare drums, surrounded by the toms and cymbals. I find it a very useful place to put it. Just finesse the placement of the mic to taste.

Go for the Wollensak route. While you're at it mic the deck's speaker too...
Plus 10 on that omni placement. Even better is two omnis there.
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

i agree on the omni near the right knee. thumbsup
ive had great results placing it right between the kick rim and the snare rim.
Old 27th April 2010
Super Moderator

Ah yes, some great results can be found using the (right handed) drummer's right knee mic technique.
Old 10th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Sorry to re-resurrect this old thread but I'm purchasing a Line Audio OM1 for this very purpose (right knee technique) and I was wondering how you guys were positioning the capsule. The mic vertical or horizontal, does the capsule point at something specific in order to focus sound or is it left neutral

Thanks
Old 10th June 2015
Super Moderator

There is no need to be sorry. IMHO, reviving a thread is much more logical than starting a new thread about the same subject, especially when new vigor can be brought to it. Searching GS is always your best bet.

I have never used that Swedish microphone, but I bet it will work famously.

It's hard to go wrong with my 'right knee technique.' I even have had success with cardioid mics. Like I've mentioned in this thread, place the omni mic near the (right handed) drummer's right knee which puts the mic in between the bass and snare drums, which is also surrounded by the toms and cymbals. Have the drummer play the kit and listen. Finesse the placement of the mic until you reach a full balance of the drum kit. That being said, I usually start with the mic pointing towards the snare horizontally, but it depends completely on how the drummer plays the kit.

I hope this helped and best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaClyde View Post
Sorry to re-resurrect this old thread but I'm purchasing a Line Audio OM1 for this very purpose (right knee technique) and I was wondering how you guys were positioning the capsule. The mic vertical or horizontal, does the capsule point at something specific in order to focus sound or is it left neutral

Thanks
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

+1 on the right knee technique for a traditional sound, however (also), I have done a fair amount of 1 mic drum recording and have gotten all sorts of nice things with various placements - I think it has to do more with what you're going for. I used the 1 mic approach for some very modern sample oriented music where we wanted home made drum loops with a lot of character - drummer was a real pro with a great sound so it was very fruitful. If the room is good a pair of condensers is a great sound too, did a whole session once with a D-112 on the kick SM57 on the snare and a pair of KM 184's split out front - the bass in the SCD's was so good and the stereo sound was so pleasing and natural that we ended up not even using the 2 dynamics.
Old 10th June 2015
It's great to have a good starting point (and the right knee technique is a great one) but for me the key is to get the drummer to play and walk around the room until you hear the sound in your head (that meets your vision for the record) and put the mic(s) there.
Old 10th June 2015
Interesting. I did a one mic drum recording last week with an AEA R84 just over the head and a little to the right of the drummer with the mic parallel to the floor. I worked unbelievably well. I was shocked. For the record it was a Jazz recording and allot of kick drum was not required though next time I will try this right knee technique and see how that works.
Old 10th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by violindave View Post
Well this thread is 8 years old, sorry to exhume it, but I'm doing a gig video tomorrow and plan to mic the drums with one mic. [I have a 4 track mixer going into a 2 track field recorder, and 4 players to mic] Question is which one?

My options [that I'm willing to take to the gig] are:

Soundelux U195
SM 57
ATM 450
ATM 25

I'm thinking the U195 ear level in front of the kit a couple of feet

advice?
By the way, I tried the front of the kit route with the R84 and didn't like it as much as over the kit. To me it seems to depend on the drummer. The drummer I recorded with one mic overhead had a very fine technique and played with a great deal of dynamics. The drummer that I recorded with the mic out in front was a straight back beat drummer that hits hard and solid. These are considerations to take into account I suppose.
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

If you ever get a chance to see the film 'Muscle Shoals' keep a watch for the single U47 over the drums.
Old 16th June 2015
Lives for gear
Being a drummer and engineer, IME the placement of the mic is important, but not as important as having the drummer practice with headphones with the setup. A good drummer is not static, and will adapt to whatever setup is presented.
Old 16th June 2015
Lives for gear

In Omni (the photo should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.)
Attached Thumbnails
Question and advice needed RE: Miking drums with one mic-image_5511_0.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search