The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just got my first vintage U87! Condenser Microphones
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Just got my first vintage U87!

I've been anxiously awaiting, and today the UPS man delivered my very first vintage U87.

The mic is in great shape - no dings on the capsule and all the switches move nicely. Haven't had a chance to put it through the paces, so to speak, but will surely be trying it out on vocals/acoustic guitar on my next session.

Any suggestions on applications from owners of vintage U87s are much appreciated.

Does anyone know how to look up the age of the mic based on the serial? Mine is 26559.

Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

pic added
Attached Thumbnails
Just got my first vintage U87!-img_1390.jpg  
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Neumann has a special email address setup to specifically answer your 'when was the mic manufactured' question.

[email protected]
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

SAAAWEEET!!!

HOW MUCH?
Old 26th February 2008
EJW
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
SAAAWEEET!!!

HOW MUCH?
An arm and a leg
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

I know the newer U-87's are solid state, but did the old ones used to be tube?
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Addict

No, there are some mods though, which make it tube. Claus Heyne's for example (don't know if I write that correct)
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

U87, I want one! (from any year)
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protools Guy View Post
No the older ones are also solid state, but with different circuitry. They're also about 10 db quieter.

I've had mine for about 10 years now and love it. It has a super smooth top end that you don't hear much these days.
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Awesome!! I've got an older one that was modded by Stephen Paul and I love it.
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Guru

Love my older one as well.....
Have fun.
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibvee View Post
No, there are some mods though, which make it tube. Claus Heyne's for example (don't know if I write that correct)
here Klaus talks about his mods, also you can search on his mic forum. I do not believe there is a tube included, I recall no tube inside the Kluas Mod u87 that i inspected.

The Tube mod is made by innertube, makes a great mic a totally different mic.

Therefore I wouldn't do it to my only u87, as it is a great mic in its own right.

I would do the Klaus mod though. heh

applications? I like my U87 on acoustic guitar and many vocals. As noted above, very smooth. It is great as overheads and room mics too. one day, maybe, it will be a Klaus U87

congrats!
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

When I started to work seriously, it was my 1st "real" mic. I remember using one when tracking in 98, and my singers vox were so smooth....it really is that good. 6 years later, I had one....a 70's model too.
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

that a piece of junk why did you buy that you won't like it send it to me i'll dispose of it for you
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW View Post
An arm and a leg
whats with people being all embarrassed with just giving a price? If I was that closed off, I would just end the relationship with not making this thread. haha. Don't take this too seriously either, its just a pet peeve.
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

I paid 1500 for mine. No shockmount or box. I bough a peluso mount and cherry box from Red mics.
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Addict

1500 for a non AI?
Old 26th February 2008
Baz
Lives for gear

Congratz

Try it on vocals, acoustic guitar, front of cab and front of kit.

Does your's have the battery compartment like mine? Mine's a 76'
Watch out and be gentle with the XLR pins. They tend to get loose.

Old 26th February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protools Guy View Post
The U87 are all solid-state.

It was the older U67 that was the valve (vacuum tube) model.

But they looked almost the same.
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
I paid 1500 for mine.
1500 what?

$ - £ - € - ¥ - ??? heh
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

I've personally owned (2) vintage models. One from '73, one from '81. Much darker then the newer AI models. Has a bit of rasp/haze to it that I like, not so sharp up top, but still articulate. Mine had the battery pack as well. The '81 model started sh*ting out on me though. Apparently the capsule had accumulated quite a bit of moisture over the years, and every time you got up on it (2-3 inches away) it would cut out or make a "swishy" sound. I eventually sold it for $900 to a very happy buyer. He sent it to Korby or Sennheiser for a capsule re-skinning. He ended up calling me a few months later (probably shortly after he got the mic back) to let me know how wonderful it sounded.
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

Hi all,
I have a silly question, that I already asked here some time ago, with little luck. Everyone knows the original U87 is a great mic. I have an U87Ai, and I find it to be a great mic also. But my question goes beyond personal taste: yes, the U87Ai has a lift in the high-mids, which you may or may not like, but it does exhibit a major improvement in the dynamic range department - 15dB's quieter. This is quite a huge step up! especially in these 24 bit times and with delicate sounding sources.
My question: you can simply eq-out the highs if you do not llike them, but you cannot dial in dynamic range! Newer is not necessarily worse when technical improvement is involved. New Ferrari's are much better cars than those made ten years ago (and not less sexy by any means).
Or maybe I am missing something?

Any comment would be greatly appreciated
best regards
Massimo
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbowes View Post
I've been anxiously awaiting, and today the UPS man delivered my very first vintage U87.

The mic is in great shape - no dings on the capsule and all the switches move nicely. Haven't had a chance to put it through the paces, so to speak, but will surely be trying it out on vocals/acoustic guitar on my next session.

Any suggestions on applications from owners of vintage U87s are much appreciated.

Does anyone know how to look up the age of the mic based on the serial? Mine is 26559.

Congratulations on your new baby! I have 3 87's serial #'s 32245, 34728 and 37909 which sounds a bit brighter than the other 2. I've used these on everything!! Great mic's....very versatile. they rock on drum Oh and rooms.
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

My vintage U87 is with Klaus Heyne as we speak. I should have it back early March and I cant wait!

I would DEFINITELY reccommend REGARDLESS of whom you bought it from-
stike Test the capsulestike. Breath test. Put in fig 8 and sing into the front and back. etc. (not just tracking singers) Once I did, and the back of the capsule sounded brighter than the front, I knew I had a problem. Then it failed the breath test miserably. Luckily Klaus said the capsule is good, just dirty and should still work for the mod. (he could have lied and said I need to buy a capsule from him- HE DID NOT! He told me mine was in good shape. Thats HUGE in my book cause he could easily have told me otherwise. His reputation is very very good for a reason.)

Klaus has been a dream to deal with but I can't comment on the sound of the mod till I actually get the mic back. The mod was expensive (almost the cost of the mic) but to have someone you can trust give you a green light takes a lot off your shoulders. Plus I think he has listened to more U87s than I could in 3 lifetimes! His mod, to my understanding, gets the questionable electronics out of the way so the capsules can shine. He also KNOWS WHAT the capsules SHOULD sound like best case scenario. I don't think many people really do (best case scenario). They THINK they do, but they don't! Especially because even dirty and beat up, my 87 sounded good- I tracked an entire childrens album before I sent it.
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Klaus would never lie to you thats for sure.I don't even know him but you can tell by talkin to him he is a total pro and you are in good hands
he has a forum on this site
PSW Recording Forums: Welcome to the forum
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Who can comment on this Klauss U87 mod, a U87 mic is a classic great sounding mic why mod it? I especially like the new Ai versions more highs less noise still smooth. Katie Lang did a record with Stephen Paul U87 mod where he did serious work to the capsule and her vocal sound is phenomenal in fact the whole record was I think mostly cut through this modded U87 mic and it was one of the most hifi sounding records I ever heard.
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemusician3 View Post
Who can comment on this Klauss U87 mod.
Klaus, the man himself, talks about his mod here. The post itself says the the interview is assembled from several other posts on Klaus's own forum and prosoundweb, so I hope it's OK to reference it here as it is not an actual post by Klaus.
Old 27th February 2008
EJW
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post
whats with people being all embarrassed with just giving a price? If I was that closed off, I would just end the relationship with not making this thread. haha. Don't take this too seriously either, its just a pet peeve.
Oh I wasn't the OP, I was just making a cheap joke
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemusician3 View Post
a U87 mic is a classic great sounding mic why mod it.
Its a mic thats specs were designed for BROADCAST! The main purpose of U87s was NOT studio recording. He gets rid of the electronics that are now unnecessary. Of course the BEST person to hear from is Klaus but he still may be on vacation. If you are asking this question, you just haven't looked!

The Stephen Paul mod is completely different. That mod plays with the microns of thickness of the capsule. Klaus doesn't mod the capsule at ALL! My mentors studio had an SP U87 so I can't wait to see what they think of the Heyne U87!

His forum on Prosound is great!heh
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Maniac

so is evilbay the only place to get a vintage u87?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search