The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pultec EQP1a is being sold for $8500 these days!!! Equalisers (HW)
Old 24th February 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Pultec EQP1a is being sold for $8500 these days!!!

I can't believe it!

VK is selling a Pultec EQP1a for $8500 dls!!
At least they sell their stuff recaped and serviced, but I think $8500 is too much! ( also, I am based in Venezuela, shipment and taxes are not cheap)

I wish I had owned a pair when all the studios sold their pultecs for $300 or $500 dls 20 years ago.

What is a good modern and afordable replacement for a EQP1a?

Pastor.
Old 24th February 2008
member no 666

Hey... if a buyer is willing to buy at that price then a buyer is willing to buy. I know of several moron "rawk stah's" that buy the **** they're told is the magic bullet by the people around them [and people on forums like these] so cut Mike and Andy a little slack if they're willing to lift the money from those that can afford it!!

If you're like me and half stick broke most of the time then the Amtec PEQ-1A will more than suffice your Pultec requirements... but if you have the dosh and need the original faceplate to make you feel like a man... then pony up and get the original at the price they're fetching these days.

Let's face it... some of our **** has gone into the world of "collector mythology". I have a client that spend $240k on a 1959 "Black Beauty" Les Paul when the reality is that it's not one of the better sounding guitars in his collection he has it none the less and it ain't gonna go down in value.

Some of our **** [guitars, Fairchilds, and now Pultecs] have become collectable like fine wines that will never be consumed... "but dood... it's "vintage"".

Shoot me.

Peace.
Old 24th February 2008
Gear Nut

$8500 for a good EQ1a ? don't tempt me, I reaaly like mine, but then again..$8500, that would be a great start on the twins college fund

stuart
Old 24th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Hey... if a buyer is willing to buy at that price then a buyer is willing to buy. I know of several moron "rawk stah's" that buy the **** they're told is the magic bullet by the people around them [and people on forums like these] so cut Mike and Andy a little slack if they're willing to lift the money from those that can afford it!!

I agree that it's all about what the market will pay but I don't cut Mike and Andy any slack here. This is driving the prices way up for the rest of us. Nice for gear pimps, sucks for people who actually use this sh*t to make a living.

Again, I get it, I know it's all about what the consumer will pay but by just posting these prices it validates the crazy money.

I don't BLAME the gear pimps but I don't absolve them of their part of the responsibility either.
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

Hahahahahahahaha the funny thing is that someone might actually pay it!
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

EQP1As shouldn't be going over 4.5-5K...I bought mine 2-3 yrs ago from here for 3.5K.
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

Who wants a Pultec for 8 k if he can get 5 chandler tonecontrols instead ?
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

What a load of crap
Old 24th February 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

If you're like me and half stick broke most of the time then the Amtec PEQ-1A will more than suffice your Pultec requirements... but if you have the dosh and need the original faceplate to make you feel like a man... then pony up and get the original at the price they're fetching these days.

Let's face it... some of our **** has gone into the world of "collector mythology". I have a client that spend $240k on a 1959 "Black Beauty" Les Paul when the reality is that it's not one of the better sounding guitars in his collection he has it none the less and it ain't gonna go down in value.

Some of our **** [guitars, Fairchilds, and now Pultecs] have become collectable like fine wines that will never be consumed... "but dood... it's "vintage"".

Shoot me.

Peace.
I agree, if you can get the same tone, sound and overall results with an Amtec, why spend $8500 dls on a old (really old unit)... just because you can read the "Pultec" name on it? It's absourd, or like those guys paying $35000 dls for a Fairchild, c'mon!
You can achieve the same sound with modern devices (sometimes plug ins), the problem is the name, and as you said, they are "Vintage".

Pastor.
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

Before I start: I bought quite a few things from VK and even sold them some gear, nothing but first class service WAY beyond the call of duty from Mike.

But it seems that their prices have gone up quite a bit lately, or maybe I just didn't check the site that often.

There's a pair of KM 84s for $3700, pretty expensive IMO. I also saw a 'white' MD 421 for $600. I wonder what my 3 Telefunken MD 421s are worth these days? I got them on e-bay for about $120 each and in pristine condition a few years ago.

However, it seems laughable that some people are so outraged at the price of the offending Pultec here: It's exactly places like Gearslutz that drives these prices up with the blind love for anything vintage/classic - with plenty of folks never even having heard the gear in question.

It's supply and demand, period. If people really pay $ 250'000 for a '59 Les Paul now then you can bet your bottom dollar that the prices will go up even more in the future.
Old 25th February 2008
outofphase
What a Moron would pay $8500 for an old EQ?

Even $5000!!
Old 25th February 2008
US dollar is low and I think the global market is driving these prices.
Old 25th February 2008
Led
Lives for gear

Like everone says, it's driven by what people will pay. Name one other unit that will give you the exact same sound as a Pultec EQP....many have tried nobody has succeeded. People have come close, but no cigar. The transformers are incredibly well made a specc'ed. I wouldn't pay that, but there are collectors with bucks that would. Sad thing is like the vintage guitars, they end up in a glass case instead of making music. Keep an eye out at your closest Hard Rock.
Old 25th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
There's a pair of KM 84s for $3700,
That's maybe the craziest price I have ever seen.....OK I exaggerate, but only slightly.

AFAIK you can still get all the original KM84 parts NOS from Neumann....you could probably assemble yourself a brand new pair for less.

This stuff most closely resembles the Florida property market of about two years ago.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

At his price, better rent one when you need it...
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear
Don't worry yourself and just use the plug-in version.

We all here at GS know it's just as good as the real thang. hehtuttfuuck
Old 25th February 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Name one other unit that will give you the exact same sound as a Pultec EQP....many have tried nobody has succeeded. People have come close, but no cigar. The transformers are incredibly well made a specc'ed.
THAT'S WHAT DRIVE THE PRICES UP!

tutttutttutttutttutttutttutt
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
Hahahahahahahaha the funny thing is that someone might actually pay it!
Somone payed over 15K last week for 2 not even a pair on ebay - it's a reality.

Glad i have a couple...
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Langs.
They sound like Pultecs to me.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
I have a pair of Langs.
They sound like Pultecs to me.
The only way for Langs is up - their prices are really rising quickly..
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
US dollar is low and I think the global market is driving these prices.
Exactly my thoughts!

Maybe the KM 54 I just bought will turn out to be my retirement plan....
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts!
I don't know 8K plus shipping and over 20% duties is a lot of money the last pair of Pultecs that went for 15K last week was sold to an American..

It's just Rock Star money.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

I know guy who paid for Dumble guitar head recently 33000 (it might have collector's value, but is not better sonically than 2-2,5 k boutique heads).
30-40 k is quite usual price for (slightly better than just average collectors items) Strats and Les Pauls.
Frenziness mixed with inflation is typical sign of serious pre-crisis period, but when real crisis emerges it will turn (financially) to dust.
Make music while you can.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Common sense is needed:

Like many here I love vintage gear and for a while I developed a serious crush on Pye compressors. After I realized that they sell for 6k now I simply forgot about it. I don't have the money but even if I had that amount to spend I wouldn't get the Pye. It's simply too much and the same could be said for the EQP1a.

But remember that 'outragoeus' examples like these are mainly due to a mythic 'holy grail' status and even more so 'star quality'. I've seen AKG D-19s go for $800 on e-bay lately and that's SOLELY due to the fact that it's a 'Beatles mic'.

The Pultec EQH2 for example sells for about 4k at VK, now is this unit half as good as the EQP1a? I don't think so, it might even suit you better if you skip the 'holy grail' factor.

The same could be said for some modern Pultec incarnations but then think about this: The very reason that so many modern gear manufactures base their design on the EQP-1 specifically is a HUGE factor in driving the prices for the original units up. All these boxes use the 'Pultec' name and design as a sales factor, so it's making the originals even more desirable.

I've seen reissue Gibson Lloyd Loar-era mandolins sell for 20k or more. Outrageous you think but then consider that the original Loars sell for 200k +.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

For my money the Tubetech clone will do just fine.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
I know guy who paid for Dumble guitar head recently 33000 (it might have collector's value, but is not better sonically than 2-2,5 k boutique heads).
Yeah but Dumble is a special case because there are precious few of these amps around. You can't just order them either, even IF you're a rock star.

So it's not that these amps end up in shrines in the Feng Shui-designed living rooms of real estate developers. Exactly what bugs me about vintage Teles, Strats and Les Pauls.
Old 25th February 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:

The Pultec EQH2 for example sells for about 4k at VK
Well, EQH2 sells for $4250 to be exact

So, if you want:

1 EQP1a for main Vocal: _$8500
1 EQP1a on Bass guitar:_ $8500
1 EQP1a on Kick Drum:__ $8500
2 EQH2 on Mix buss:____ $8500
-----------------------------------------------
Total:_________________$34000.00 dls

Better, let's go on the Plug in way

Pastor.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

In their heyday, Power Station(Avatar) had 24 Pultecs in each of their then three main rooms.
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

Are you?

I got into this post to read about Pultec's price and I get a nice surprise... Pastor Obviedo... are u the guy from tv here in my country? and if it's so, do u own a studio?... I'm really surprised about this because I thought all engineers in Venezuela were dead about "reading and getting up-to-date" with information, but now I see I was wrong... Thanks God!..

P.S. Here is my mail: [email protected] (I'm not from Sony at all!), and [email protected]. If you like we can talk a little bit a about mxing, mastering and those forgatten topics in my country!
Old 25th February 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I got into this post to read about Pultec's price and I get a nice surprise... Pastor Obviedo... are u the guy from tv here in my country? and if it's so, do u own a studio?... I'm really surprised about this because I thought all engineers in Venezuela were dead about "reading and getting up-to-date" with information, but now I see I was wrong... Thanks God!..

P.S. Here is my mail: [email protected] (I'm not from Sony at all!), and [email protected]. If you like we can talk a little bit a about mxing, mastering and those forgatten topics in my country!
Cool I'll P.M. you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search