The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on the Manley Reference Cardioid Condenser Microphones
Old 13th July 2004
Gear Head

Opinions on the Manley Reference Cardioid

What do you guys think of the Manley Reference Cardioid Microphone ? I´m mostly working with pop (male & female) and was thinking that this might be the microphone for me since it´s beeing used a lot (at least in sweden) and i really like the way it sounds on many sources (popvocals & acoustic guitars). It would be nice to hear what opinions you have on it.

I have been searching threads on this forum regarding this microphone. I haven´t found a lot of info about it though.

I think I´m going to purchase one. It´s still nice to get second opinions.

Thanx in advance

Cheers

Sarza73
Old 13th July 2004
Lives for gear

It's not a bad mic by any means......if you've used it and you like it...then buy it...
Old 14th July 2004
Lives for gear

i think it's a really good mic. also, i believe shania twain did her "come on over" album with the cardiod or the gold cardiod manley.

i also think scandinavians have good taste in gear and mixes. so if it's getting props in sweden, i'd call that a plus.
Old 14th July 2004
Lives for gear

I hear great things about it. I have a Gold Ref and use it all the time (vocalists with thin voices love it).
Another thing to consider is that EveAnna, Hutch and Paul Fargo are fantastic at public interfacing.
They will fix or replace anything, no questions asked. They offer helpful suggestions on use etc..
I guess that's why I've spent mu daughter's education money on their company.
best,
chap
Old 14th July 2004
Lives for gear

A big time producer over here told me that the difference in price between the standard and the Gold edition isn't by any way worth the cost. He even said that the Brauner Valvet is a better buy.

I can't judge the Gold since I haven't heard it. But I don't think the difference between the standard and the Brauner is that big. More like two tasty flavours.
Old 14th July 2004
For the big sound, the Blue Kiwi does it for me.
Old 14th July 2004
Gear Head

I want the vocals "crispy & in your face".. don´t we allheh. The Manley Reference cardioid gives that IMO. It´s just nice to hear what you guys think of it. At the end of the day I will still follow my ears....and buy it............

I appreciate your comments though. I haven´t bought it yet.
Old 15th July 2004
no ssl yet
**** THE MANLEY REF

Guys for the longest I wanted a manley gold, because I loved what one sounded like when I recorded in Portland some years ago. HOWEVER, I shot out the SE gemini dual tube mic against one recently and the SE mic won and saved me a cool couple of pennys. I know I'll probably get flamed for discussing an SE mic, but if any of u guys try the gemini I'm almost sure u will like it. and I only paid $1100.

Try one before u commit to the manley.
Old 15th July 2004
Lives for gear

Again, I use a Gold Ref every day. It is routinely chosen by incredible vocalists in a 4/5 mic option sessions. These include C12, U47, Lawson etc..
It really is a beautiful mic.
Listen first.
chap
Old 15th July 2004
Lives for gear

Never had my hands on a Cardioid Ref, but my pair of Gold Ref's do it all. Only, I *much* prefer the sound in omni or thereabouts- gets kinda thin and brite towards cardioid and beyond.

The Gold isn't really a vocal mic, per se- David Manley designed it for uncolored purist recordings of small combos. Whereas a lot of these vocal mics have a real "sound" to them that's very flattering to the voice. Maybe the Cardioid Ref is more like that.

I will say that Hutch, Eveanna, Paul Fargo, etc., are very good folks and that's one reason so much of my small but choice gear collection says "Manley" on it. Ears is another big reason!
Old 15th July 2004
Lives for gear

Let me also add that my voice sucks and I just recorded a national jingle (with a sinus infection)
and it passed. I used the Gold Ref and I would say that it is 'fatter' than a U47 or a C12. Did I mention that my voice sucks and I use it for VOs all the time. Really, I should not be heard publicly
but the Gold/SLAM combo gets me out there.

Last year, I produced a well known 'diva' and charted in Billboard. After 20 minutes of mic hunting, she chose the Manley and said it was her favorite vocal sound. I know there are other cool mics but this one sticks around.
Did I mention suck?
have a great day,
chap (on steroids!)
Old 16th July 2004
Gear Head

thanx for the replies. I think i´ll pick up the microphone first thing on monday..........heh
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by sarza73
thanx for the replies. I think i´ll pick up the microphone first thing on monday..........heh
The most common phrase in the gearslut vocabulary...

Rock on, let us know what you think of it!!!!
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

The Gold or the Cardioid?

Choose wisely, Luke!
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

The Gold or the Cardioid?

Choose wisely, Luke!
Old 16th July 2004
Gear Head

It will be the cardioid version. Based on my experiences that microphone rocks. Since I will be needing only the omni mode I think it´s a wise decission to choose the cardioid version.....and of course because i just love the sound of it.....
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

Good luck with it!
Old 18th July 2004
Gear Head

I purchased 2 manley reference cardioids.........heh
Old 18th July 2004
Lives for gear

Yeah, the Gold sounds way better in omni or real close, in my experience too. I'm male and have a blues-shoutin' type voice, and I like it on my voice in omni. I usually am recording a bunch of other stuff to the mic along with the vocal.
Old 7th August 2004
Gear Head

So I´ve had my manley reference cardioids now for a few days. I must say they are perfect for my voice (and for a few artists I´ve had in the studio (male & female))(haven´t had time to try them on more than 4 persons yet). This was exactly what I was looking for. Since I´m doing mainly pop I´m sure this microphone will be used A LOT !! My voice is pretty thin (Justin:like) and this microphone really makes my voice sit in the mix with a nice "shine" around it. The "in your face":ness of the sound is great. Works nicely on acoustic guitars too.

This was a good purchase.

My vocal chain is: manley REF Card. -> AMEK CIB -> UREI 1178.

By the way......Have any of you guys noticed any differences between the new (12AX7) and the old (6072) Manley Ref Card.

Cheers
Old 9th February 2005
Gear Head

I´ve been using the Manley cardioid mic now for 7 months. I must say I´m really pleased with the way it sounds. I´ve used it with an Amek CIB, D.W fearn & langevin dual vocal combo. Male / female, Good / bad... The sound has always been great.

I must say the Manley cardioid - > D.W Fearn - > Manley VariMu chain was fantastic.

This microphone gets often chosen even though we have an u-47 in the studio......(the u-47 is fantastic...but not on every voice....that goes for the manley too of course)

The Manley is definitely worth a try when you´re looking for a new microphone.

Old 9th February 2005
Gear nut

These are good opinions to read. Personally, when I get the money together, I'll probably spring for this Manley mic to upgrade my M149.

Sounds great!

-John
Old 9th February 2005
Lives for gear

After using and still owning many of the mics mentioned, I have to say that the Manley Gold Ref is still my fave. For vocals, it kills the 149. For acoustic guit. or room sound it's much better but the 149 is fine for those. For vocals, you gonna be happy.
chap
Old 10th February 2005
Gear nut

I meant, upgrade from my M149. I've been recalling a few reviews about the Manley mics. They definately have my interest.

-John
Old 10th February 2005
Lives for gear
i can't really find any reading material
on the Manley Reference Cardioid.
I just wanna learn a bit more about
differences between the Gold and Cardioid.
Are they like $3k?
Old 10th February 2005
Lives for gear

The 149 is a great utility mic with lot's of output.
This can be valuable to the point where it can go direct and not have a personality of a mic pre attached. Many creative uses.
The Gold Ref is a full, rich tubey sounding mic.
Not overpowering and subtlety galore. It's a much more suitable mic for vocals and personality without over coloring the source. I use both on a daily basis but would choose the Manley because of it's ability to have personality and not change the source but enhance the source. It is also
somewhat forgiving which buys the performer a bit of margin.
The 149 is a good mic but it is not 'the tube mic"

Both are great mics and you will not be disappointed. Oddly enough, I purchased both mics on the same day.
They also stem from different family trees and that may be a consideration.
Good mic hunting. You won't fail.

I discovered,when I got these mics and I called the manufacturers for any tips on care and use,
there is, of course, a certain macho component to mic design.
I called Neumann and was informed that the "Manley would make a fine 2nd mic"
After speaking with David Manley he told me it was great to have other colors but could not imagine a time when I would choose the 'fine' Neumann as a first mic"

Bottom line, use your ears and have fun.

ps- because of cosmetic differences, some people automatically gravitate to one or or the other. I guess looks count. Too bad for me
chap
Old 10th February 2005
Gear interested

a widely overlooked element in the chain is the cable.
Getting an audiophile high end cable can eliminate the need to get a "better" mic.
Or get both, but you'd have to sing in tune...
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

just go to radio shack and get you a optimus mic for about 30 $ and run it thru antares mic modeler. Use the manley gold ref for the conversion and WALAH! You got a Manley Gold for 30 dollars!

hehehe technology these days
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

I have the nuemann u 87..........
it sounds nice but then again I havent heard much of anything else on my monitors............its very flat and warm.
i think it sux on peoples voices who have no highs........... i think i need a blue kiwi..........i did hear that mic at my studio. It has alot of built in high end. I dont know if I woulg go as far as callin it silky but it did sound very nice.........
Old 12th February 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by what?
a widely overlooked element in the chain is the cable.
Getting an audiophile high end cable can eliminate the need to get a "better" mic.
Or get both, but you'd have to sing in tune...

??????? I don´t think so...............

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search